Welcome to our main types of furniture page for 2019. This is where you can access our epic furniture buying guides on every type of furniture imaginable including sofas, beds, tables, chairs, mattresses, ottomans, dining room furniture, entry hall furniture and more. Be sure to check out our popular series covering many different boutique and niche online stores for all types of home and garden purchases.
This is where you can access our numerous furniture articles and galleries.
Table of Contents
- Dining Tables
- Dining Chairs
- Sectional Sofas
- TV Stands
- Bunk Beds
- Coffee Tables
- End Tables
- Mini Kitchen Islands
- Mudroom Lockers
- Storage Benches
- Toy Organizers
- Hall Trees
- Small Furniture
- Accent Chairs
- Furniture Leg Styles
- Chair Back Styles
- Arm Chair Styles
- Furniture Stores
- Online Home Décor Stores
- Furniture Buying Considerations
I love, love, love sofas. My favorite are large, comfortable sectionals, but I’ll gladly take a gorgeous Chesterfield or Tuxedo sofa for my formal living room.
Below you can access one of our most popular articles, which explains in details (with photo examples) every type and style of sofa you can buy.
- Sectional Sofa: Sofa with two or more sections that usually form two or more sides.
- Recliner Sofa: Sofa with one or more seats that recline like a recliner chair.
- Chesterfield: Sofa with tufted upholstery. Can be a regular sofa/couch or sectional. Chesterfield applies to chairs as well.
- Lawson Couch: Back cushions are not attached to main sofa. Can be removed. Often large and comfortable.
- English: Sofa with rolled arms that lower than the back.
- Bridgewater: Low arms rolled outward for an angled, cushioned arm. Great napping sofa.
- Camelback: High back that drops in continuous line forming the arms.
- Cabriole: Back and arms one continuous, even line.
- Chaise lounge: Arguably a chair. Long seat with no arms.
- Sleeper Sofa: Any sofa that can also be a bed. Includes pull-out sofa, convertible sofa, futon and daybed,
- Loveseat: A short sofa for one or two people. Often comes with matching full sofa.
- Settee Sofa: A wide chair.
- Tuxedo: High arms same height as the sofa back in 90 degree angles (similar to cabriole but cabriole is curved).
Pretty much every house will have at least one table. Some houses will have 10 or more when you add up dining tables, end tables, accent tables, night stands, work tables, etc.
You’d be surprised how many styles and functions there are when it comes to tables.
- Coffee table: Low table used in living room spaces placed in the center of seating furniture. Used for drinks, flowers, and a general table for placing items.
- Accent table: Like the term “accent chair”, an accent table is an umbrella term for tables used in living room space (i.e. living rooms, great rooms, family rooms, etc.) that offers a place for putting items on, storage and a decorative element. Most are fairly small and include coffee table, end table, side table and console table.
- End table: I love end tables more than any other living room table. They’re small and designed for the ends of sofas or to be placed adjacent to chairs.
- Console table: The console table is probably the least common living room or family room table. Coffee and end tables are super common, the console table is less so. It’s a long, narrow table often placed behind a sofa. They are, however, popular for foyers and entry halls.
- Ottoman table: These are growing in popularity. They’re large ottomans that double as coffee tables. The fabric surface don’t make them the best for drinks unless you place large serving trays on top (or it has one built-in).
- Dining room table: There are many types of dining room tables, but only in so far as shape, material, color and style. We showcase many of these with photo examples.
- Bedside table: Almost a necessity, the bedside table (nightstand) flanks a bed. They come in all sizes, but the small bedside table is very popular.
My favorite type of chair is a large, oversized club chair. I love them. I have one and it’s great (although there are nicer ones available).
My dad has the ultimate club chair – a massive, comfy oversized leather club chair you absolutely sink into.
However, there are many, many types and styles of chairs for the home.
- Accent chairs: The accent chair is a living room chair and is a category of various chair styles including the club chair, wingback bergere, lawson, barrel, English rolled arm, slipper and chesterfield chairs.
- Armchairs: These are comfortable chairs for the living room or family room.
- Recliner chair: This type of chair offers the option to recline back usually including an attached footrest that elevates so you can fully recline.
- Reading chair: Another general chair term that includes many types of chair – pretty much anything that makes for a good reading chair.
- Bar stools: stools are not relegated to the home bar; they’re very common in kitchens at islands as well. You’ll be interested to discover there are many types.
- Desk chair: so many home have offices and therefore need a desk chair. These vary considerably, but most recline, swivel and are set on castors.
- Dining room chairs: surprisingly there are many types of dining room chairs. We set them all out in detail.
Do not buy a bed until you read our massive bed buying guide setting out bed styles, sizes, materials and unique features.
There are dozens of different types of beds, hundreds if you count the various styles for each size.
I love desks. I always have. I had a beauty as a kid (my parents found this awesome desk in a used office furniture store).
I have several desks now and enjoy having them.
There’s a wide variety of desks, with respect to layout, size, style and material.
Back in the day you didn’t have much mattress choice.
Now, forget about it. There are so many mattress options that it can be mind-boggling. While they all sound great, you really do need to research the issue to ensure you get the right mattress for your needs.
We explain your mattress options in depth with some great illustrations.
There’s a wide array of options for those looking for dressers for their homes. Whether you’re looking for a standout model or even just a utilitarian one, we help you make the right pick by helping you decide on the most important aspects of a dresser such as design, type of material, and style.
An ottoman is a multifunctional piece of furniture that can also be used to enhance your interior’s visual appeal. So to make the most of it, consider the ottoman’s design aspects that can determine its placement, function, and aesthetic value. You should also be aware of all the upholstery options as well as storage options for an ottoman.
Compared to other rooms in the house, the dining room is low-key in a way that you only need to furnish it with a dining table and chairs to make it complete. The dining table will obviously be the room’s centerpiece and serve as one of the most used pieces of furniture in the house so make sure you shop for the best option for your home. We help you make the right choice by presenting the different types of dining tables as well as breaking down the most important factors you should consider.
Dining room chairs don’t have to come as a set when you purchase a dining table. There’s no rule that says so and, in fact, they can be as varied as you like. Choose your chairs wisely by checking out our superb collection of dining room chairs in every stripe of design, style, and build. We also explain in detail the various designs, seat materials, frame materials, and styles that you need to be aware of.
Sectional sofas are extremely popular nowadays so there are plenty of designs, colors, upholstery, shapes, and styles available. Unfortunately, a lot of options makes choosing for the right one difficult. We help you out by simplifying your options and breaking them down into categories.
Check out our ultimate guide for TV stands and entertainment centers that are perfect for today’s television-centric furniture. We set out a comprehensive overview of the most important aspects to consider such as design, type of material, and style. You can check out the available types of furniture for each and the best product example per category.
Shopping for bookcases is also something to ponder. These utilitarian pieces of furniture come in a whole wide world of styles and designs that need looking into. Learn about the different major design philosophies, type of build materials, and style options from the traditional bookcases to the asymmetrical modern ones.
Futons are some of the most versatile pieces of furniture you can ever own in your home. Learn more about them as we set out the numerous benefits of owning one and the different elements that make up a futon. Choose the right type for your home by looking into the style, frame, and type of material.
There are different reasons for getting a bunk bed just as bunk beds aren’t all the same. Whether you’re looking into a space-saving piece of furniture or a cool, exciting playspace for your child, we crafted the best shopping guide by breaking down each type of bunk bed by build material, design, and style.
Regardless of the size, the breadth and scope of options for coffee tables can be immensely overwhelming. Make it simple by narrowing your options into the best, most popular, and most enduring options. You also need to consider its most important aspects such as construction, surface material, and style.
Step into the world of stools and discover how these underrated pieces of furniture can really enhance your room’s decor. There are many available stools to choose from so learn about the various types by breaking them down into features, designs, styles, frames, seats, height, and color.
Make an informed choice when it comes to choosing end tables for your home by learning about the average cost of buying one, height factors, and space considerations. Be aware of the different types of end tables by breaking them down into specific categories such as design, shape, material, legs, and features.
Get all the relevant facts before buying a home mini bar. There are plenty of options to look into so focus on the most important features to consider such as wine rack, closed storage, space for a refrigerator, built-in ice cabinet, foot railing, number of tiers (one or two), and wine glass storage.
There are incredibly many styles to choose from when shopping for a mini kitchen island on wheels. They offer various features and usage but be sure to keep your eye on the most useful ones such as the surface material, storage, locking wheels, size, color, and shape. Browse through the photo gallery for the various types and features.
Mudroom lockers are convenient to have when you find the best match for your home. Be aware of the different types of mudroom lockers available in the market right now and determine your desired mudroom dimensions as well as the various features to take into account.
Our ultimate storage bench buying guide helps you choose not just the best one for your home but also steers you toward important considerations. We help you make an informed choice by presenting the different types of storage benches you’ll encounter as well as breaking down the different materials, styles, and configurations of this furniture.
Keep your kid’s room organized and clutter-free with the help of the best toy organizers worthy of your money. We identify the different types of toy organizers and direct your attention to the most important details you need to look for such as access, height, and features.
Get to know what hall trees are and whether you need one for your home. We identify the different types of hall trees available in the market right now and even present the best product model for each type.
Living in small spaces is more a norm nowadays which makes the compact furniture market a boon. You don’t need to feel restricted or limited when shopping for small furniture. On the contrary, it’s fortunate because many small pieces of furniture come under the guise of clever space-savers. We show you how to pick the best ones for every room in your home.
Accent chairs can be various decorative types of chairs. Set your eyes on these eye-candies and find tips and ideas on how you can use them to complement your home decor. We also listed down the different types of accent chairs based on type, style, and design.
Furniture Leg Styles
Furniture leg styles are oftentimes overlooked when shopping for furniture. It’s time to give them some proper legroom and we make it easy with the use of full graphic illustrations identifying the different types of furniture leg styles and features.
Chair Back Styles
Our ultimate chair back styles is a presentation of the various types in full illustration with quick useful info for each. We include popular styles such as Chippendale, Sheraton Parlor, Hepplewhite, Rococo, Federal Oval, Bannister, and many more.
Arm Chair Styles
Our illustrated guide sets out the different sofa arm styles you’ll encounter in the market today. You can choose from a wide variety of options not just for your sofa but also for your couch and accent chair.
Knowing where to look is the secret to online shopping. We hope this comprehensive listing of online furniture stores save you precious time and effort checking out furniture websites. We include the best online furniture retailers from the most popular ones to rare finds.
Online Home Décor Stores
Shopping online for home decor is extremely convenient. As a result, the market is exploding with a huge number of online home decor retailers. That’s great news but it’s also hard to keep track of all of them. So we compiled a list of the top online retailers based on your home needs such as furniture, bedding, mattresses, appliances, window treatments, and more.
Furniture Buying Considerations
In addition to knowing what type of furniture item you need (which is usually pretty obvious), once you’ve got that pinned down, you have several choices to make for most furniture options. The following sets out buying considerations:
Every piece of furniture has cheap, mid-price, upscale and ridiculously luxurious options. Usually, you’re best off going for mid-price or upscale. Cheap doesn’t last long (I know because I’ve bought plenty of cheap furniture in my day). Luxurious is usually ridiculously priced based on brand name or some other frivolous aspect that doesn’t enhance quality at least relative to the increased price. That leaves mid-price and upscale furniture as often being the best investment when balancing quality and cost.
Wood and metal are your usual options. Some furniture also comes in glass and plastic. However, the biggest material consideration boils down to type of wood – whether it’s solid wood, engineered wood or particle board.
For some furniture pieces, the shape is integral to the design. Tables are a good example – you can opt for square. rectangle, round or oval.
Style is a serious consideration and often dictates much of the aesthetic. Styles vary tremendously. Common styles include modern, contemporary. mid-century, rustic, farmhouse, shabby-chic, antique, asian, cottage and Mediterranean.
Always check unique features available. Frankly, many furniture pieces offer some ingenious design features. The options vary according to the type of furniture. A common furniture feature is storage. such as shelves or drawers.
Size is hugely important. If you have a large room or home, you want larger pieces to fill it up. If a smaller home, you have no choice but to buy plenty of small furniture. Fortunately most online furniture stores include dimensions for each item so you can tell quickly whether it will fit.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]