Everything you need to know about Modern design style for home architecture. We also include a massive Modern home interior design photo gallery for different parts of the house.
Welcome to the Modern interior design style guide where you can see photos of all interiors in the Modern style including kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms, foyers and more.
Table of Contents
- Modern Homes (Exteriors)
- 1. “MaisonP” Residence by PietriArchitectes
- 2. Broadmoor Residence by David Coleman Architecture
- 3. Spectacular Razor House in La Jolla, California
- 4. GOM House by (ma!ca) Architecture
- 5. Noe Residence by Studio VARA
- 6. 20th Street House Design by Barker Freeman Architects
- 7. Deep Point Road House by BFDO Architects
- 8. Gomez Road House Expansion Showcases Prestigious Art Collection by Hughes Umbanhowar Architects
- 9. Cherian Residence in India by Architecture Paradigm
- 10. Panoramic Windows Show Off Modern Home Interior
- 11. Striking G-House by Lab 32 Architecten
- 12. Immaculate Narrow House by FORMstudio
- 13. Strategic R House by Artigas Arquitectes
- 14. Incredible Amalgamous Tower House by David Coleman Architecture
- 15. Exhilarating Modern Hawthorn House Project by Canny
- 16. Eye-Popping Burgess Street Project by C.O.S. Design
- 17. NC-Office Architects Design a Beautiful Custom White Modern Home
- 18. Inspiring BL Single Family House by Burnazzi Feltrin Architetti
- 19. Light-filled Villa Von Stein by Philipp Architekten
- 20. Startling Modern Keyhole Project By Eastern Design Office
- 21. Uniquely Modern Stacey Turley project by Kariouk Associates
- 22. Studioninedots Designs Stunning Ultra Modern “Diamond-Shaped” Home
- 23. Daniel Lomma Design Creates a Modern Urban Masterpiece Home with the Derby House
- 24. McClean Designs Creates a Magnificent Modern Mansion (San Vincente House)
- 25. Jesolo Lido Pool Villa Custom Home Design by JM Architecture
- Interior Examples (by Room)
- Modern Landscaping
- What is Modern Interior Design
- Distinguishing Design Features
- Décor Accessories
- Why it Looks Great
Modern Homes (Exteriors)
Check out these spectacular homes showcasing the Rustic style architecture.
1. “MaisonP” Residence by PietriArchitectes
This is the back part of the house featuring minimalistic design with full height windows fitted on the plain white walls. Parallel lines continue to blend with the serene atmosphere and green lawn.
2. Broadmoor Residence by David Coleman Architecture
Sliding glass doors where you can have a glimpse of the living room and kitchen area of the house opens to the outdoor corridor and to the lush green courtyard.
3. Spectacular Razor House in La Jolla, California
A bird’s eye view featuring green landscape surrounding the modern luxury house. You can indulge yourself in a rooftop pool with an amazing ocean view.
4. GOM House by (ma!ca) Architecture
5. Noe Residence by Studio VARA
This gray house features two balconies framed in frosted glass panels and a deck enclosed in red wood fence.
6. 20th Street House Design by Barker Freeman Architects
Light wood plank walls match the deck in this patio offering a gray round back chair and neon pink side table.
7. Deep Point Road House by BFDO Architects
Beautiful landscape highlighting the side of the house with a straight pathway that leads to the pebbled yard.
8. Gomez Road House Expansion Showcases Prestigious Art Collection by Hughes Umbanhowar Architects
This modern house is composed of white walls and floor to ceiling glass windows. It has a relaxing ambiance from the tranquil pool in between palm trees.
9. Cherian Residence in India by Architecture Paradigm
An abundance of greenery can be seen at the back which almost covers the house. There are this grassy area and shrubs lined to the house serving as its backyard fence.
10. Panoramic Windows Show Off Modern Home Interior
A concrete white staircase leads to the front door of the house resembling a floating box.
11. Striking G-House by Lab 32 Architecten
The glowing interior of the house can be seen through the glazed walls overlooking the amazing lake with a natural wood deck illuminated by outdoor lighting.
12. Immaculate Narrow House by FORMstudio
An oversized spherical pendant illuminates this dining room along with natural light that flows through the full height windows. It showcases a round dining table surrounded with modern white chairs over concrete flooring.
13. Strategic R House by Artigas Arquitectes
Angled side view of the house showing a curved pavement that leads to the modern house boasting a rectangular pool and lush yard with stone walkway and shrubs.
14. Incredible Amalgamous Tower House by David Coleman Architecture
This backyard features a rooftop patio and stone fire pit along with a built-in wooden bench paired with a dining table and white chairs.
15. Exhilarating Modern Hawthorn House Project by Canny
This is the back of the house showcasing a luminous swimming pool with glass railings separating from the green lawn. Its interior has an open concept design which can be seen from the glass walls.
16. Eye-Popping Burgess Street Project by C.O.S. Design
A closer look at the house with concrete staircases leading to the gorgeous infinity pool and pond. It includes covered patios with frameless glass balustrade.
17. NC-Office Architects Design a Beautiful Custom White Modern Home
There’s a raised pool on the side of the house clad in marble tiles that extend to the outdoor flooring. A patio and open corridor can also be seen on this side along with balconies framed in wrought iron railings.
18. Inspiring BL Single Family House by Burnazzi Feltrin Architetti
Linear box architecture is the concept of this house. It is painted in pure white which makes it stands out from its neighborhood.
19. Light-filled Villa Von Stein by Philipp Architekten
The back of the house, otherwise, has full height glazing breaking the solid concrete for a more stylish design. It is filled with a green lush lawn that’s accented with a tranquil pool.
20. Startling Modern Keyhole Project By Eastern Design Office
Here’s the side of the house with scattered picture windows fitted on the concrete wall completing the look of the unique modern house.
21. Uniquely Modern Stacey Turley project by Kariouk Associates
On this side, we have a straight pathway leading to the concrete staircase which directs us to the balcony and the glazed entry door.
22. Studioninedots Designs Stunning Ultra Modern “Diamond-Shaped” Home
In this angle, we can see the glass windows on both sides where natural light flows through seamlessly.
23. Daniel Lomma Design Creates a Modern Urban Masterpiece Home with the Derby House
A stunning pool covered with a white concrete wall is seen from this side of the house across a planter box filled with lovely plants.
24. McClean Designs Creates a Magnificent Modern Mansion (San Vincente House)
A concrete fence fitted with glass screens shield the house with privacy. Next to it is the garage enclosed in steel doors.
25. Jesolo Lido Pool Villa Custom Home Design by JM Architecture
Interior Examples (by Room)
The following are photo examples of Modern interiors (room-by-room). Below each photo are links that take you to extensive Modern-Style photo galleries for each room.
This living room features tiled flooring and full height glazing overlooking the lush green outdoor. It has beige sectional and couch along with metal armchairs and dark wood side and center tables. There’s also a modern fireplace fixed to the paneled accent wall which adds warmth and a homey feel to the room.
Spacious eat-in kitchen showcases a dark wood island bar with an attached raised wooden breakfast counter that’s paired with metal chairs. It includes a dining set by the glass windows illuminated by recessed ceiling lights.
Modern dining room decorated with a round mirror that’s mounted above the dark wood buffet table complementing with the dining table surrounded with taupe cushioned chairs. It is lighted by a contemporary chandelier that hung from the tray ceiling.
Sleek bedroom with floor to ceiling glass windows and a sliding door that opens to the patio. Fluffy pillows lay on the gray bed with a white bench on its end. There’s also a seating area by the fireplace over the hardwood flooring.
Furniture in this style is going to be quite basic as well. You won’t find a lot of plush accents or large overstuffed couches and chairs. You’re going to find very simplistic furniture that may be made of wood or metal. It will feature a lot of straight lines and monochromatic colors to go along with it. There isn’t going to be a lot of warmth or comfort to the furniture that you have here because it’s much more about the functionality of things. You’re also going to find that there is minimal furniture and generally a lot of open space that emphasizes the clean lines and simple aspects of the rest of the room as well as emphasizing the structure of the space itself, without furniture to clutter it up.
What is Modern Interior Design
When it comes to a modern style you’re going to find that minimalism and simplicity are the main key elements used by interior designers, matched only by lots of natural light. It’s not about being trendy and keeping up with the most popular and latest styles. That’s actually not what modern is about at all. Instead, it’s clean lines, plain walls, minimalist designs and a lot of things that are similar to the contemporary interior design style, but actually a little more sleek and distinguished with modern furniture than with contemporary. You’ll find a whole lot of basic options when it comes to this design style and that’s characterized by the design elements of the room as well as all of the things that go in it.
Distinguishing Design Features
You’re going to find a lot of simplicity when it comes to a modern, contemporary style and interior design ideas because it’s about skipping out on the frills and the extra things. Mostly, it’s about clean architectural aspects. You’ll find very square rooms and corners along with very symmetrical aspects to go along with the design elements and to characterize a lot of the elements. As far as colors you’ll find some basic ones like gray and white and even black but there’s generally not a lot of other accent colors and pieces too much because it takes away from the lines of the rooms. It’s all about monochromatic aspects and strong lines. You definitely won’t’ be getting much of anything else.
The materials in this type of room are going to be minimal. You won’t generally have texture to the pieces so they may be smooth or semi-smooth but generally not woven or other textures. Instead, you’ll have something basic and in basic colors without patterns. That’s because individual colors are the way to go when it comes to modern or at the very least color blocking styles that differentiate the colors. You’ll also find more standard colors instead of mixed ones. Different items in the room will be blue or green but not teal. They may be red or blue but not indigo. This adds to the monochromatic style of the space. It’s also in keeping with the more minimalist style.
As far as décor goes, you’re not going to find a lot of it. There will be mostly pieces that are functional and also in clean and straight lines. Shelves that are simple and straightforward, generally floating shelves that look like they come right out of the wall or square pieces with sharp corners are going to be found. You won’t see little knick-knacks covering the area because these are not in keeping with the simplistic and minimalist style. Instead, you’re going to find some utilitarian pieces that will serve some type of purpose in the long run because that’s also important with modern styles.
If you’re looking to add a lot of decorative pieces this may not be the style for you. If you want to make sure everything in the space has a purpose and that purpose is being fulfilled, however, this could be a good option and a good way to make sure that you don’t’ have too much going on at any one time. Décor, when it is present, will be clean and basic with very standard options. You won’t find bright colors or patterns or anything too wild here. It’s all still going to keep with the same design theme.
Why it Looks Great
So, why does a modern design style look great? Some people will tell you it’s all about simplicity and some will tell you it’s far too simplistic. Some people will think that keeping things uncluttered is the best way to go and others will feel like it’s cramping their personal style. It’s going to be entirely up to you what seems to work best and how you’re going to get a good idea. If you’re looking for simple, clean lines and for a focus on the original architectural beauty of the structure you may well be looking for this design style that helps emphasize all of that.
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.