Tags:

53 Best Polish Castles, Palaces and Manor Houses (Photos)

Here they are... the 53 best castles, palaces and manor houses in Poland. Some are very, very old. Others are not that old. They are all very cool in their own way. We include the famed von Below family estate which is a great looking palace.
- Advertisement -

Poland is known for several incredible castles, manor houses and estates. However, I did not expect to discover so many when starting the research for this article.

Below we showcase dozens of castles in Poland of all shapes and sizes. Includes historic palaces, estates and manor houses. The diversity in style is impressive. Enjoy.

Photos

Also known as the Belweder Palace, Belweder was built in 1660 and once belonged to Poland’s last king, Stanisław August Poniatowski. It was then used by succeeding noble owners and important people as their residence. It suffered considerable damages during the Second World War and was remodeled by Hans Frank, Governor of the “General Government” of Poland. Soon after, it serves as the official residence of the Polish presidents.

About the Belweder

  • Where: Warsaw, Poland
  • When: 1660
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Neoclassical style / Palladian architecture
  • What is it now? The official residence of the Polish presidents
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Bishops castle

Castle of Warmian Bishops

The Castle of Warmian Bishops It is one of the most precious Gothic structures in the country and a popular destination for holidaymakers. It is located in the town of Lidzbark Warmiński, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland. It was built between 1350-1401 to serve as the Warmian bishops and was later acquired by the Teutonic Order.

About the Castle of Warmian Bishops

  • Where: Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland
  • When: 1350-1401
  • Who built it: Warmian Bishops
  • Style: Gothic style
  • What is it now? Tourist attraction
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Branicki Palace

Branicki Palace

Branicki Palace

Branicki Palace

Built in 1691-1697, the Branicki Palace is a historical edifice in Białystok, Podlaskie Voivodeship, Poland. It was built for Count Jan Klemens Branicki, Great Crown Hetman and patron of art and science to serve as a suitably magnificent residence of a great Polish noble. It replaced the former Gothic-Renaissance building that was standing on the actual site of the Branicki Palace. Stefan Mikołaj Branicki then inherited the estate and commissioned a reconstruction, giving birth to the baroque palace that currently houses the Medical University and the Medical Museum.

About the Branicki Palace

  • Where: Podlaskie Voivodeship, Poland
  • When: 1691-1697
  • Who built it: Stefan Mikołaj Branicki
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Medical University and the Medical Museum
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland

Built in the late 14th century, the Kórnik Castle was commissioned by the Górka family and underwent several changes and modifications by the succeeding noble families. The most notable redesigning of the castle was in 1855 done by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was done in Neo-Gothic style at the behest of Tytus Działyński for his son Jan Kanty Działyński. After the last heir of Działyński family, Jan Kanty Działyński’s death, his brother-in-law Count Władysław Zamoyski succeeded the castle. Soon after his death, the Polish state took over in taking care of the castle.

About the Kórnik Castle

  • Where: Kórnik, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Górka family / Redesigned by Architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel
  • Style: Neo-gothic style
  • What is it now? Kórnik Library / Museum / National Historic Monuments
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Castle in Jelcz-Laskowice

Castle in Jelcz-Laskowice

The Jelcz-Laskowice was originally built in the 13th century commissioned by the archbishop of Salzburg, Władysław in Gothic style. Throughout its history, the building was rebuilt multiple times and during the 16th century, it was transformed into a fairy tale-like Renaissance castle by Konrad von Sauss.

About the Jelcz-Laskowice

  • Where: Jelcz-Laskowice, Poland
  • When: 13th century
  • Who built it: Archbishop of Salzburg, Władysław
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? City Council
  • Current owner: Town of Jelcz-Laskowice

Built in the late 14th century, the Kórnik Castle was commissioned by the Górka family and underwent several changes and modifications by the succeeding noble families. The most notable redesigning of the castle was in 1855 done by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was done in Neo-Gothic style at the behest of Tytus Działyński for his son Jan Kanty Działyński. After the last heir of Działyński family, Jan Kanty Działyński’s death, his brother-in-law Count Władysław Zamoyski succeeded the castle. Soon after his death, the Polish state took over in taking care of the castle.

About the Kórnik Castle

  • Where: Kórnik, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Górka family / Redesigned by Architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel
  • Style: Neo-gothic style
  • What is it now? Kórnik Library / Museum / National Historic Monuments
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Castle in Przemysl

Przemyśl Castle

A Renaissance castle in Przemyśl, Poland, the Przemyśl Castle, also known as Casimir Castle was built in 1580 replacing the old Gothic castle of Casimir III the Great. The Przemyśl Castle was commissioned by the town elder Marcin Krasicki and the work was supervised by the Italian architect Galleazzo Appiani. During the 19th century, the castle was handed over to the City of Przemyśl and became a top Hotel and Restaurant in the city.

About the Przemyśl Castle

  • Where: Przemyśl, Poland
  • When: 1580
  • Who built it: Casimir III the Great / Reconstructed by Marcin Krasicki
  • Style: Gothic style / Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Hotel and Restaurant
  • Current owner: City of Przemyśl
Castle in Pszczyna

Pszczyna Castle

The Pszczyna Castle built in the 12th century is a classical-style palace in the city of Pszczyna. Originally designed in the Gothic style, it was then redesigned into a Renaissance castle in the 17th century and later on transformed into a Baroque-classical style palace during the 18th and 19th centuries. The castle was the residence of Silesian and Polish Piast nobles over its centuries-long history and became owned by the German state after the death of the last Prince of Pless, Hans Heinrich XV in 1936. After the Second World War, following postwar border changes, the castle area was then transferred to Poland and was turned into a museum.

About the Pszczyna Castle

  • Where: Przemyśl, Poland
  • When: 12th century
  • Who built it: Unclear
  • Style: Gothic style / Renaissance style / Baroque-revival architecture
  • What is it now? Museum
  • Current owner: City of Pszczyna
Castle in the village of Bobolice

The Bobolice Castle

Built by King Casimir III the Great in the middle of the 14th century, The Bobolice Castle in the village of Bobolice, Poland was part of the defense system of the western border of the Kingdom of Poland. Immediately after becoming King of Poland in 1370, Louis I the Great granted the castle to Władysław Opolczyk, Duke of Opole as a reward for his support of the king’s dynastic plans. From here, the castle would serve countless of royalties until 1657 when it suffered total destruction during the Deluge. Later on, the Lasecki family acquired the castle and decided to rebuild it, but failed to do so. In 2011, a private investor ordered a reconstruction of the castle and today, it serves as a major tourist spot.

About the Bobolice Castle

  • Where: Bobolice, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: King Casimir III the Great
  • Style: Polish Gothic architecture
  • What is it now? Tourist attraction
  • Current owner: Town of Bobolice
Castle Krobielowice

The Krobielowice Palace

The Krobielowice Palace, formerly known as Krieblowitz Palace was built originally as a fortified manor house in the 14th century. It was then acquired by the Minor Order of Friars in 1529 and from there, the property came under the control of the Premonstratensians Order who made renovations on the building. 3 wings of the building were designed in Renaissance style while the 3 towers followed the Baroque architecture. In the 19th century, the Prussian Field Marshall Gebhart Leberecht von Blücher acquired the property from Frederick William III, King of Prussia in recognition of Field Marshall’s services to the nation and achievements in the war of liberation and the final defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo. Blücher only enjoyed the palace for a few more years until his death in 1819, however, the Blücher family stayed at the property until 1945. Now, the current owner of the palace renovated the estate and turned it into a hotel and restaurant with a golf course.

About the Krobielowice Palace

  • Where: Krobielowice, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Unclear
  • Style: Renaissance style / Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Hotel and Restaurant
  • Current owner: Private owner
Castle Lesnica

Lesnica Castle

The Lesnica Castle was originally built in the 12th century as a Gothic castle, the residence of the royal families of Wrocław, Poland. The building had several owners and was transformed into a Baroque architectural beauty by the Wroclaw’s Order of the Red Star Crusaders during the 18th century when it was sold to them by the von Forno family. Today, the castle houses the “Zamek” Cultural Center and is open to the public.

About the Lesnica Castle

  • Where: Wrocław, Poland
  • When: 12th century
  • Who built it: Unknown / Rebuilt by the Wroclaw’s Order of the Red Star Crusaders
  • Style: Gothic style / Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Zamek Cultural Center
  • Current owner: City of Wrocław
Castle located in Goluchow

Gołuchów Castle

Castle located in Goluchow

Gołuchów Castle

An early Renaissance castle built between 1550-1560, the Gołuchów Castle was built as a defensive stronghold and residence for Voivode of the Brześć Kujawski Voivodeship, Rafał Leszczyński. The successive owners expanded the estate turning it into a magnate-Renaissance stronghold. Soon after, it was bought by Tytus Działyński, for his son Jan Kantega and his close wife Izabela of the House of Czartoryski and commissioned a remodeling of the castle into the French Renaissance style. The castle then housed the Branch of the National Museum in Poznań after the Second World War.

About the Gołuchów Castle

  • Where: Gołuchów, Poland
  • When: 1550-1560
  • Who built it: Voivode of the Brześć Kujawski Voivodeship, Rafał Leszczyński
  • Style: Renaissance style / French Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Branch of the National Museum in Poznań
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Castle Milicz

Castle Milicz

This castle in Dolnoslaskie, Silesia, Poland is a historic castle turned into a municipal school for forestry.

Castle Pieskowa Skala

Castle Pieskowa Skala

The Pieskowa Skała Castle was built by King Casimir III the Great that became popular as of the best examples of defensive Polish Renaissance architecture. It replaced the former 14th-century defensive stronghold and was expanded during the 16th century. The castle today is now a branch of the Wawel Royal Castle museum maintained by the Republic of Poland.

About the Pieskowa Skała Castle

  • Where: Pieskowa Skała, Poland
  • When: 16th century
  • Who built it: King Casimir III the Great
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Branch of the Wawel Royal Castle Museum
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Castle Wojnowice

Castle Wojnowice

The Wojnowice Castle originated as a small property in a farm in the 13th century. It was bought and was later on turned into a castle during the 14th century. It hosted several owners throughout the centuries, got its Renaissance form in the 16th century and is currently owned by the College of Eastern Europe in Wrocław.

About the Wojnowice Castle

  • Where: Wojnowice, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Hotel and Restaurant / Foundation office
  • Current owner: College of Eastern Europe in Wrocław
Czocha Castle

Czocha Castle

Czocha Castle

Czocha Castle

Located in the village of Czocha, the Czocha Castle was originally a defensive stronghold built at the behest of Wenceslaus I of Bohemia in the 13th century. It belonged to many different royalties and noble families over the centuries and was taken over by the Polish Army soon after the Second World War. It was erased from Poland’s official maps when the Army used it as a military vacation resort but was opened to the public as a hotel in 1996.

About the Czocha Castle

  • Where: Czocha, Poland
  • When: 13th century
  • Who built it: Wenceslaus I of Bohemia
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Hotel
  • Current owner: Hotel Group WAM
Czorsztyn castle

The ruins of Czorsztyn Castle

The ruins of Czorsztyn Castle located in Czorsztyn, Poland was the old home of the noblemen and the customs office on the trade trail from Krakow and Sącz to Hungary. It was originally a stronghold built in the mid 13th century but was destroyed by a lightning strike in 1720, resulting in total neglect ever since. Today, the ruins of the castle are open to the public.

About the Ruins of Czorsztyn Castle

  • Where: Czorsztyn, Poland
  • When: 13th century
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Gothic style
  • What is it now? Ruins
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Drzeczkowo Palace

Drzeczkowo Palace

The Drzeczkowo Palace was constructed in 1865 in Gothic romantic style mixed with Neo-gothic and Neo-Renaissance elements. The palace belonged to the family of Baron von Leesen before by the State Farm took over at the end of 1945.

About the Drzeczkowo Palace

  • Where: Drzeczkowo, Poland
  • When: 1865
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Neo-Gothic style / Neo-Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Hotel
  • Current owner: Unclear
Epstein's palace in Teresin

Epstein’s palace in Teresin

The Epstein’s Palace in Teresin was built at the behest of the Epstein family. It was constructed in 1890-1900 designed by French architect Francois Arveuf in Neo-rococo style, replacing the original castle designed by a well-known Warsaw architect Adam Loewe. Soon after, in 1909, the palace was bought by Prince Władysław Drucki-Lubecki and sold it to local landowners during World War 2. After the war, the Palace housed the Agricultural Training Center, then became a school for a short while, then went back to serving as the training base of agricultural cooperatives managed by the Center for Training and Rehabilitation KRUS.

About the Epstein’s Palace

  • Where: Teresin, Poland
  • When: 1890-1900
  • Who built it: French architect Francois Arveuf
  • Style: Neo-rococo style
  • What is it now? Training and Rehabilitation Center KRUS
  • Current owner: Center for Training and Rehabilitation KRUS
Historic mansion in Morzow

Historic mansion in Morzow

Jablonna palace

Jablonna palace

Jablonna palace

Jabłonna Palace

The Jabłonna Palace’s origins can be traced back to the 15th century when the Bishops of Płock built a summer residence on the site. However, one of the five brothers of Stanisław II Augustus, Michał Poniatowski, later on the primate of Poland commissioned Dominik Merlini to design his new Neoclassical residence. The palace was then owned by the Potocki family until 1945 after the palace was burnt by the German army. After a short period of neglect, the Polish Academy of Sciences took over of the ownership, restored the building and turned it a convention center, training center, and other public or private events venue.

About the Jabłonna Palace

  • Where: Jabłonna, Poland
  • When: 15th century
  • Who built it: Michał Poniatowski
  • Style: Neoclassical style
  • What is it now? Convention center / Training center / Events venue
  • Current owner: Polish Academy of Sciences
JASLO manor House

JASLO manor House

Karolin palace in Otrebusy

Karolin palace in Otrebusy

The Karolin palace in Otrebusy is the current headquarters of Mazowsze artistic folk ensemble.

Karpniki castle

Karpniki castle

The Karpniki Castle belonged to many known Silesian families until it was purchased by the royal Hohenzollern family in the 19th century. In 2014, it was renovated and was transformed into a hotel and restaurant.

About the Karpniki castle

  • Where: Karpniki, Poland
  • When: Unknown
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Neo-gothic style
  • What is it now? Luxury hotel
  • Current owner: Private owner
Kliczkow castle

Kliczkow castle

Kliczkow castle

Kliczkow castle

Kliczkow castle

Kliczków Castle

Located in Kliczków, Poland, the Kliczków Castle was built by Duke Bolko I of Jawor in 1297. After several owner changes, the castle was rebuilt in Renaissance style in 1585. In the early 19th century, it was expanded by architects Heinrich Joseph Kayser and Karl von Großheim from Berlin, adding English Gothic architecture with Italian Renaissance and French mannerism styles to the estate. In 1971, the Wrocław University of Technology bought the property and tried to save it, but ultimately failed. It was then purchased by a commercial company from Wrocław and turned into a luxurious conference and recreation center.

About the Kliczków Castle

  • Where: Kliczków, Poland
  • When: 1297
  • Who built it: Duke Bolko I of Jawor
  • Style: English Gothic style / Italian Renaissance style / French Mannerism style
  • What is it now? Luxury conference and recreation center
  • Current owner: Commercial company from Wrocław
Krasiczyn Castle

Krasiczyn Castle

The Krasiczyn Castle was constructed in 1580 at the behest of Stanisław Krasicki, a descendant of the Masovian nobility. It was completed by his son, Marcin Krasicki who made several modifications and improvements to the castle. The castle stayed in the hands of the Krasicki family until the family had no successor left. The castle was then passed onto the hands of the Modrzewski, Wojakowski, Tarło, Mniszech-Potocki, and Piniński families. However, the Piniński family sold it to Prince Leon Sapieha in 1835, whose family owned the estate until 1944. After the Second World War, the castle was taken over by the state and became a hotel and restaurant later on.

About the Krasiczyn Castle

  • Where: Krasiczyn, Poland
  • When: 1580
  • Who built it: Stanisław Krasicki
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Hotel and Restaurant
  • Current owner: Industrial Development Agency
Krzyztopor castle

Krzyżtopór Castle

Located in the village of Ujazd, Krzyżtopór was originally built by a Polish nobleman and Voivode of Sandomierz, Krzysztof Ossoliński in 1627-1644. It was inherited by his son Krzysztof Baldwin Ossoliński, who died at the Battle of Zborów in 1649. The estate was then purchased by the Denhoff family, then by the Kalinowski family. The castle suffered severe damages during the Swedish invasion of Poland. Several noble families had tried to renovate the castle but failed in the end. The Republic of Poland claimed the rights to the castle later on and preserved its ruined form for the public to see.

About the Krzyżtopór Castle

  • Where: Ujazd, Poland
  • When: 1627-1644
  • Who built it: Krzysztof Ossoliński
  • Style: Medieval architecture
  • What is it now? Tourist attraction
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Ksiaz Castle

Ksiaz Castle

Ksiaz Castle

Ksiaz Castle

Ksiaz Castle

Ksiaz Castle

Founded in the 13th century, Ksiaz castle, also known as “The Pearl of Lower Silesia”, was home to many noble families for centuries. The Silesian duke Bolko I the Strict made this castle his residence. The Luxembourg king Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia also resided here for some time. For centuries, the castle belonged to the powerful family of Hochberg until the last Hochberg family owning the castle fell into debt and was forced to sell the property. Currently, the Seismic Station of Polish Academy of Sciences is holding some part of the estate, while some other parts are open to the public.

About the Ksiaz Castle

  • Where: Wałbrzych, Poland
  • When: 13th century
  • Who built it: Unclear
  • Style: Gothic style / Baroque architecture / Rococo architecture
  • What is it now? Tourist attraction / Hotel / Landscape park / Museum
  • Current owner: Książ Landscape Park and Castle Museum
Lancut Castle

Lancut Castle

Lancut Castle

Lancut Castle

Lancut Castle

Łańcut Castle

Historically the residence of the Pilecki, Lubomirski and Potocki families, Łańcut Castle is a complex of historical buildings located in Łańcut, Poland. It was originally built in the second half of the 16th century by the Toporczyk family and later on modernized it into a palace-residence. Today, Łańcut Castle is one of the most famous aristocratic residences in Poland and is one of the country’s official national Historic Monuments tracked by the National Heritage Board of Poland.

About the Łańcut Castle

  • Where: Łańcut, Poland
  • When: 16th century
  • Who built it: Toporczyk family
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? National Historic Monument / Tourist attraction
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Lazienki palace

Lazienki Palace

Lazienki palace

Lazienki Palace

The Palace on the Isle and the Łazienki Park was originally built as a bathhouse for Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski, owner of adjacent Ujazdów Castle. Stanisław’s bathhouse would be the city’s largest park.

About the Łazienki Palace

  • Where: Warsaw, Poland
  • When: 1683-1689
  • Who built it: Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski
  • Style: Neoclassical style
  • What is it now? Open to the public
  • Current owner: City of Warsaw
Lublin Castle

Lublin Castle

A medieval castle in Lublin, Poland, the Lublin Castle was one of the oldest preserved Royal residencies in the country. It was constructed in the 12th century by High Duke Casimir II the Just. It was demolished during the 17th century due to the consequences of war and was rebuilt in 1826-1828 to serve as a prison until 1954. Later on, it was turned into the main site of the Lublin Museum.

About the Lublin Castle

  • Where: Lublin, Poland
  • When: 12th century
  • Who built it: High Duke Casimir II the Just
  • Style: Polish Gothic-Revival style
  • What is it now? Lublin Museum
  • Current owner: City of Lublin
Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

Malbork Castle

The Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork, otherwise known as Malbork Castle is one of Poland’s official national Historic Monuments and is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was built in the 13th century as a medieval fortress for the Teutonic Order. Constructed by the Teutonic Knights, it was then modified and expanded, as the numbers of the knights keep increasing. Soon, it became the largest fortified Gothic building in Europe and is currently serving as a museum.

About the Malbork Castle

  • Where: Malbork, Poland
  • When: 13th century
  • Who built it: Teutonic Knights
  • Style: Gothic style
  • What is it now? Museum / Historic Monuments / UNESCO World Heritage Site
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Manor house Stawisko

Manor house Stawisko

The Stawisko manor house was built for Jaroslaw Iwaszkiewicz as his residence together with his wife, Anna Lilpop. The couple had two daughters and they lived in the manor house for a long period of time. Today, the Stawisko manor house serves as a museum devoted to Iwaszkiewicz and his wife.

About the Stawisko Manor House

  • Where: Podkowa Leśna, Poland
  • When: 20th century
  • Who built it: Jaroslaw Iwaszkiewicz
  • Style:
  • What is it now? Museum
  • Current owner: Town of Podkowa Leśna
Manor house Zarybie

Manor house Zarybie

The former manor house of Halina and Janusz Regulski, Zarybie was possibly built in the early 20th century and was expanded by the couple in the 1930s. They commissioned architect Juliusz Dzierżanowski to design the Baroque manor house. After the Second World War, the Seventh-Day Adventist Church bought the house and was turned into the Rectory for the college.

About the Zarybie Manor House

  • Where: Podkowa Leśna, Poland
  • When: 20th century
  • Who built it: Reconstructed by architect Juliusz Dzierżanowski
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Rectory for the college
  • Current owner: Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Mloszowa Castle

Mloszowa Palace

The Młoszowa palace is part of the palace-park complex located in Młoszowa. It was believed to be originated in the 14th century but was extensively renovated and expanded in the 18th and 19th centuries. Currently, the Republic of Poland is holding the estate and is open to the public.

About the Młoszowa Palace

  • Where: Młoszowa, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: French Renaissance
  • What is it now? Open to the public
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Moszna Castle

Moszna Castle

Moszna Castle

Moszna Castle

A historic castle and residence located in a small village of Moszna, the Moszna Castle is one of the best-known monuments of the Upper Silesian region and is considered as one of the most beautiful castles in the world. It was built in the 17th century in the beautiful combination of Gothic style and Baroque architecture.

About the Moszna Castle

  • Where: Moszna, Poland
  • When: 17th century
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Gothic style / Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Open to visitors / Tourist attraction
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Niedzica Castle

Niedzica Castle

Niedzica Castle

Niedzica Castle

Niedzica Castle, otherwise known as Dunajec Castle was founded between 1320 and 1326 by Kokos of Brezovica replacing an ancient stronghold. It was owned by a few noble and aristocratic families over the centuries until it was abandoned during World War 2. The castle was then acquired by the Polish Ministry of Culture and served as a historical museum ever since.

About the Niedzica Castle

  • Where: Moszna, Poland
  • When: 1320-1326
  • Who built it: Kokos of Brezovica
  • Style: Gothic style
  • What is it now? Historical Museum
  • Current owner: Polish Ministry of Culture
Nowy Castle

Nowy Wiśnicz Castle

Located on a forested hill by the River Leksandrówka in the village of Stary Wiśnicz, the Nowy Wiśnicz Castle was erected by Jan Kmita in the second half of the 14th century. Upon Jan Kmita’s death, the castle came into ownership of the Barzów in 1566, then it was bought by Sebastian Lubomirski. Later on in the 18th century, the Sanguszko princely family, later the Potocki family, and the House of Zamoyski acquired the property. The castle would then change its owners again until the end of the Second World War when it was acquired by the Polish State and conducted extensive renovations.

About the Nowy Wiśnicz Castle

  • Where: Stary Wiśnicz, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Jan Kmita
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Open to the public
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Pakoszow Palace

Pakoszów Palace

The Pakoszów Palace history dates back to 1725 when a wealthy merchant from Jelenia Gora named Johann Martin Gottfried bought an old, simple building and reconstructed it into the Pakoszów Palace known today. However, a tragic event occurred in the 20th century that left the castle in ruins. Thanks to husband and wife, Hagen and Ingrid Hartmann, the castle was reconstructed to its former glory and became the family’s residence until 1945. The property went into the hands of a few more owners until it was repurchased by the Hartmann family who made additional renovations and improvements to the castle.

About the Pakoszów Palace

  • Where: Stary Wiśnicz, Poland
  • When: 18th century
  • Who built it: Johann Martin Gottfried
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Hotel and Restaurant
  • Current owner: Hartmann family
Palace in Iwno

Palace in Iwno

The palace in the village of Iwno, along with the village itself was owned by the Mielzynski family until 1939. It was then converted into a premier horse farm and riding school.

About the Palace in Iwno

  • Where: Iwno, Poland
  • When: Unknown
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Horse farm and riding school
  • Current owner: Town of Iwno
Palace in Kazmierz

The Kazimierz Palace

The Kazimierz Palace is a reconstructed palace in Warsaw, Poland. It was originally built in 1637-41 for King Władysław IV in the mannerist-early Baroque style as a villa suburbana following the design of Italian architect Giovanni Trevano. During World War II, the Kazimierz Palace was destroyed and suffered during both the 1939 defense of Warsaw and the 1944 Warsaw Uprising. It was rebuilt to a design by Piotr Biegański after the war in 1945-1954. Today, it houses the Warsaw University and the Museum of the History of Warsaw University.

About the Kazimierz Palace

  • Where: Warsaw, Poland
  • When: Unknown
  • Who built it: King Władysław IV
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Warsaw University / Museum of the History of Warsaw University
  • Current owner: Capital City of Warsaw
Palace in Krzeslice

Palace in Krzeslice

Krzeslice Palace is a beautiful Neo-Gothic palace located in the Town of Poznan.

palace in Radziejowice village

palace in Radziejowice village

A complex of classical residences surrounded by a park, Radziejowice Castle was believed to be built in the 15th century and was already the residence of Radziejowski family at that time. The castle underwent various modifications and expansions during the 17th century, and took on the form of the Gothic style castle. The complex, along with the castle was destroyed during World War 2, however, it was restored by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage and is now a museum and an exhibition venue.

About the Radziejowice Castle

  • Where: Radziejowice, Poland
  • When: 15th century
  • Who built it: Radziejowski family
  • Style: Classical style / Gothic style
  • What is it now? Museum / Exhibition area
  • Current owner: Ministry of Culture and National Heritage
Palace in Sieniawa

Palace in Sieniawa

The Sieniawa Palace once belonged to the powerful Sieniawski family, who ruled the town of Sieniawa dating back to the 17th century. They build a brick fortress, a manor house, a church, and the palace. After Mikolaj Hieronim Sieniawski, the founder of the town died, his son, Adam Mikolaj Sieniawski continued to nurture the whole town on behalf of his late father.

About the Sieniawa Palace

  • Where: Sieniawa, Poland
  • When: 17th century
  • Who built it: Sieniawa family
  • Style:
  • What is it now? Hotel
  • Current owner: Town of Sieniawa
palace of Nieborow estate

palace of Nieborow estate

An aristocratic residence located in the village of Nieborów, Nieborów Palace was built in the 17th century by one of the greatest Baroque architects, the Dutchman Tylman van Gameren. It was built at the behest of the contemporary archbishop of Gniezno Michał Radziejowski as his residence. When the archbishop died, the palace was passed on to different owners until it was taken over by the state and became subsidiaries of the National Museum in Warsaw.

About the Nieborów Palace

  • Where: Nieborów, Poland
  • When: 17th century
  • Who built it: Dutchman Tylman van Gameren
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? National Museum
  • Current owner: Village of Nieborów

 

palace of the Krakow Bishops in Kielce

palace of the Krakow Bishops in Kielce

Originally built in the 17th century as a summer residence of Bishops of Kraków in Kielce, Poland, the Palace of the Kraków Bishops in Kielce was founded by bishop Jakub Zadzik, Great Crown Chancellor in Mannerist-early Baroque style. Currently, the palace houses a branch of the National Museum.

About the Palace of the Kraków Bishops in Kielce

  • Where: Kraków, Poland
  • When: 17th century
  • Who built it: Bishop Jakub Zadzik, Great Crown Chancellor
  • Style: Mannerist-early Baroque style
  • What is it now? National Museum
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland

 

Pidhirtsi Castle

Pidhirtsi Castle

Located in the village of Pidhirtsi, Pidhirtsi Castle is a residential castle-fortress constructed by Guillaume Le Vasseur de Beauplan between 1635–1640 following the order of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth’s Grand Crown Hetman Stanisław Koniecpolski. It was once regarded as the most valuable of palace-garden complexes of the Kingdom of Poland.

About the Pidhirtsi Castle

  • Where: Pidhirtsi, Poland
  • When: 1635-1640
  • Who built it: Guillaume Le Vasseur de Beauplan
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Museum
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Racot Palace

Racot Palace

The palace in Racot was founded in 1780-1790 following the design of Dominik Merlini, the same architect who designed Łazienki palace in Warsaw. The palace was ordered by Duke Antoni Barnaba Jabłonowski, Voivod of Poznan. After the First World War, the Palace was recommended to be the residence of the President of the Republic of Poland, however, it became a hotel and restaurant, offering conference areas instead.

About the Racot Palace

  • Where: Racot, Poland
  • When: 1780-1790
  • Who built it: Dominik Merlini
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Hotel and Restaurant / Conference venue
  • Current owner: Village of Racot
Royal Castle in Sandomierz

The Sandomierz Royal Castle

The Sandomierz Royal Castle is a medieval structure in Sandomierz, Poland built by Casimir III the Great. The original building was blown up in 1656 and was transformed into a Renaissance style residence. Today, it is the seat of the Regional Museum.

About the Sandomierz Royal Castle

  • Where: Sandomierz, Poland
  • When: 14th century
  • Who built it: Casimir III the Great
  • Style: Gothic style / Renaissance style
  • What is it now? The seat of the Regional Museum
  • Current owner: Town of  Sandomierz
Royal Castle Warsaw

Royal Castle Warsaw

A castle residency that formerly served throughout the centuries as the official residence of the Polish monarchs, the Royal Castle in Warsaw was built for King Sigismund III Vasa in 1589-1619. Italian architects Giovanni Trevano, Giacomo Rodondo, Paolo del Corte, Mateo Castelli mixed the old Gothic building into their Baroque castle and was further improved by the succeeding owners of the property. The castle was severely destroyed after World War 2 and was rebuilt 1971-1988 as a national monument of Polish history and culture.

About the Royal Castle in Warsaw

  • Where: Warsaw, Poland
  • When: 1589-1619
  • Who built it: King Sigismund III Vasa
  • Style: Gothic style / Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? The national monument of Polish history and culture / UNESCO World Heritage Site
  • Current owner: Capital City of Warsaw
Sokol palace

Sokol palace

Sokol Palace is a Neo-Renaissance from 1867 and is currently the headquarters of the gymnastics company “Falcon”.

About the Sokol Palace

  • Where: Pruszkow, Poland
  • When: 1867
  • Who built it: Unknown
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Gymnastics Headquarters
  • Current owner: Falcon gymnastics company
Teutonic castle in Golub-Dobrzyn

Teutonic castle in Golub-Dobrzyn

A four-wing conventional Teutonic fortress, Golub Castle was built at the turn of the 14th century. It was attacked multiple times and was reconstructed in 1616-1623 in Renaissance style castle. This was the time when Princess Anna Vasa, sister of king Sigismund III was the castle’s owner. Currently, the castle serves as a regional museum.

About the Teutonic Castle in Golub-Dobrzyn

  • Where: Golub-Dobrzyń, Poland
  • When: 1293-1301
  • Who built it: Teutonic Knights
  • Style: Gothic style / Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Regional Museum
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Teutonic Castle in Swiecie

Teutonic Castle in Swiecie

The Teutonic Castle in Świecie is a partial ruin located in Świecie. It was built in 1335-1350 by the Teutonic Knights in the Gothic architectural style but was reconstructed into the Renaissance architectural style in the 16th century. After the Deluge, the castle was devastated and was never reconstructed again. Currently, the tower was renovated and is now housing a museum.

About the Teutonic Castle in Golub-Dobrzyn

  • Where: Świecie, Poland
  • When: 1335-1350
  • Who built it: Teutonic Knights
  • Style: Gothic style / Renaissance style
  • What is it now? Museum
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Ujazdow Castle

Ujazdów Castle

Located in Warsaw, Ujazdów Castle was built in 1624 by Sigismund III Vasa, King of Poland to serve as his summer residence. It was burnt by the Swedish army in 1655, forcing its residents to abandon it. However, the powerful Lubomirski family took over the castle and commissioned architect Tylman van Gammeren to reconstruct it in the Baroque architecture style. It was greatly damaged during the Second World War and was demolished in 1953, as it was planned to be replaced with the Polish People’s Army Culture Centre, however, the Ujazdów Castle was reconstructed instead. It was completed in 1988 and today, it serves as The Centre for Contemporary Art.

About the Ujazdów Castle

  • Where: Świecie, Poland
  • When: 1624
  • Who built it: Sigismund III Vasa, King of Poland
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? The Centre for Contemporary Art
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Villa Decius Palace

Villa Decius

Krakow’s Villa Decius was built in 1530 by King Sigismund I the Old for his powerful secretary. In the 19th century, Princess Czartoryska renovated the Renaissance villa and is now serving as home to the European Academy.

About the Villa Decius

  • Where: Krakow, Poland
  • When: 1530
  • Who built it: King Sigismund I the Old
  • Style: Renaissance style
  • What is it now? European Academy
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Von Below Family Palace

Von Below Family Palace / Rzucewo Castle

The Von Below Family Palace, also known as Rzucewo Castle was founded in 1840 by Gustav von Below according to the design by Friedrich August Stüler, an architect from Berlin. The palace remained in the ownership of the von Below family until 1945 when it was transformed into an agriculture school. After 49 years, it was turned into a hotel.

About the Rzucewo Castle

  • Where: Krakow, Poland
  • When: 1840
  • Who built it: Gustav von Below
  • Style:
  • What is it now? Hotel
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Wawel castle

Located in central Kraków, Poland, Wawel is a castle residency built at the behest of King Casimir III the Great. It is one of the largest castles in Poland, representing nearly all European architectural styles of medieval, renaissance and baroque periods. Being built in the 13th and 14th centuries, this castle has a rich history behind it and today, it serves as part of the Historic Centre of Kraków and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

About the Wawel castle

  • Where: Kraków, Poland
  • When: 13th-14th centuries
  • Who built it: King Casimir III the Great
  • Style: Medieval architecture / Gothic style / Renaissance style / Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Historic Centre of Kraków / UNESCO World Heritage Site
  • Current owner: Republic of Poland
Wilanow palace

Wilanow palace

Wilanow palace

Wilanow palace

Wilanow palace

Wilanow Palace

A royal palace located in the Wilanów district, Warsaw, Wilanów Palace or Wilanowski Palace is one of Poland’s most important monuments, surviving Poland’s partitions and both World Wars. It was built in 1677-1696 at the behest of John III Sobieski. This Baroque palace served countless owners already. Since 2006, it has been a member of the international association of European Royal Residences. The whole estate is open to the public, maintained by the National Museum in Warsaw.

About the Wilanów Palace

  • Where: Warsaw, Poland
  • When: 1677-1696
  • Who built it: John III Sobieski
  • Style: Baroque architecture
  • What is it now? Open to the public
  • Current owner: National Museum in Warsaw

Return to all castles

Related: English Castles | Irish Castles | German Castles | Russian Palaces | French Chateaus | Scottish CastlesDutch Castles | Czech Republic CastlesHungarian Castles | Swedish Castles | Belgian Castles | Austrian Castles | Mountain-Top Castles | Indian Palaces | Castles in Portugal | Castles in Switzerland | Castles in Japan | Italian Castles | Castles in Romania | Castles in Denmark | Spanish Castles








Add Comment