Whenever I talk to customers, I understand how some feel apprehensive about affordable furniture that doesn’t require complex tools for assembly. Rushing into IKEA stores to purchase furniture without doing your research could mean wasting time and money on IKEA products that fall apart quickly or don’t fit your lifestyle.
For this guide, I’m going to explain why shopping at IKEA can give you a good deal and high-quality furniture despite the fairly cheap prices.
Is IKEA Furniture Good?
Overall, the IKEA store provides fairly good furniture value considering the low cost, although durability varies across different materials and collections. With sturdy construction and affordable prices, IKEA offers quality furniture, though some designs are more durable than others.
For IKEA shoppers across the world, the key is doing your research to find long-lasting wooden collections suited to your needs. Cheaper particleboard pieces on sale may not endure over many years of use.
Furniture Recommendations: Top Picks From IKEA Stores
Before you purchase anything, here’s a list of the best furniture selections from the brand. I considered differing tastes and scenarios in which a particular piece would fit, even if it didn’t match my aesthetic. More importantly, I focused on durability, stability, and construction despite the inexpensive price tags.
- Best IKEA sofa: Stockholm sofa
- Best IKEA dresser: Songesand dressers
- Best IKEA futon: Friheten sleeper sofa
- Best IKEA mattress: Hesstun Eurotop
- Best IKEA bed frame: Hasselvika
- Best IKEA daybed: Hemnes daybed
- Best IKEA armchair: Tullsta armchair
- Best IKEA kitchen cabinet: Sektion cabinet system
- Best IKEA dining chair: Ekedalen dining chair
1. IKEA Sofas Reviews
Whether you’re designing your new family room or creating a formal living room to host guests, IKEA has a sofa to fit your criteria. From sleepers to sectionals, overstuffed to practical, there’s a sofa for everyone.
Whenever I purchase sofas, I prioritize a timeless furniture design, comfortable cushions, and a durable frame that can match rugs. The Stockholm leather sofa is my top sofa choice because of its sturdy construction, which has let me use it for more than a decade now.
- Pros: Wide selection of styles, washable covers
- Cons: Limited warranty periods
2. IKEA Dressers and Storage Drawers Reviews
The furniture store provides a wide selection of dressers, chests, and storage drawers to organize clothing and accessories. Options span from minimalist to ornate styles and affordable particleboard to durable wooden constructions.
I prefer a durable yet versatile design that I can put in my bedroom or home office. This is why the Songesand six-drawer dresser stands out as IKEA’s best option, thanks to its stability from pine construction and built-to-last lifespan.
- Pros: Variety of configurations, some collections are very sturdy
- Cons: Some designs need to be anchored to the wall
3. IKEA Futons and Sofa Beds Reviews
Sofa beds and futons from IKEA are great alternatives if you need more sleeping areas yet don’t have enough guest rooms. These furniture styles were among my preferred pieces when I needed to maximize areas in my small space back then.
The Friheten sectional sleeper sofa bed is the ideal futon for a small apartment needing extra sleeping capacity.
- Pros: Convertible, simple mechanisms
- Cons: Some futons are thin and may require additional bedding
4. IKEA Mattresses Reviews
IKEA offers many mattress design options. Whether you’re looking for pocket springs or memory foam, the brand’s mattresses will prevent back pain and sleepless nights.
The Hesstun Eurotop mattress is my favorite new mattress because it combines plush comfort and premium support from quality foams and pocketed coils.
- Pros: Wide range of cheap furniture styles, good value for money
- Cons: Lifespan shorter than premium brands
5. IKEA Bed Frames Reviews
IKEA has tons of bed frame choices, whether you want to make a statement or have the ability to hide stuff underneath. A large frame can become the centerpiece of rooms and create a comfortable and inviting focal point.
For studios and small living areas, you’ll need something versatile and functional, even if you don’t spend thousands of dollars. Putting together the Hasselvika bed frame provides a great balance between having a large frame and functional furniture design.
- Pros: Variety of styles, some collections with sturdy construction
- Cons: Particleboard platforms are prone to damage
6. IKEA Daybeds Reviews
Daybeds are fine choices for kids’ furniture or additional guest bedding in a dorm room. They are also excellent choices for an office or guest bedroom since it’s a comfy place to sit and reflect while also being a great extra bed for when you have guests staying.
IKEA has a few options for daybeds, including underbed storage choices and some that even pull out to create a double bed. With its versatile twin-size-sofa design, large hidden drawer storage, and pine construction, the Hemnes daybed is IKEA’s standout daybed option.
- Pros: Convertible sofa, storage options available
- Cons: Frames are prone to creaking
7. IKEA Armchairs Reviews
IKEA has an extensive selection of armchairs that fit into different home decor and aesthetics. Bright and unusual color options with a vibrant flair, overstuffed and traditional, I love IKEA because it has a model that can brighten your living area and provide additional seating.
For instance, as a compact, traditionally styled armchair with a supportive seat, the Tullsta is an ideal armchair for smaller spaces needing extra seating furniture. Aside from the comfy lumbar support, the slim lines contribute to decorating offices and bedrooms, giving them a homey feel.
- Pros: Broad selection, compact footprints
- Cons: Limited larger/oversize options
8. IKEA Kitchen Cabinets Reviews
Kitchen cabinet furniture designs from the store range from Scandinavian minimalism to more traditional cabinet/drawer front designs. With options starting at just above $50 per cabinet, you can have several cabinets to personalize your kitchen interior design.
Particularly for my customers who want to spend their limited budget with no regrets, the Sektion cabinet system maximizes storage capability with its vast selection of mix-and-match modular cabinets and high-end hardware.
- Pros: Customizable storage with Sektion system, variety of organizers
- Cons: Limited durable finishes
9. IKEA Dining Room Chairs Reviews
From simple to detailed ornate, from modern to traditional, no matter the aesthetic you’re trying to go for, you’ll find a vast array of options for dining room chairs at IKEA.
This is why the Ekedalen dining chair is one of my favorite designs to match my dining or coffee table. It creates an inviting and comfortable ambiance in my kitchen, whether for sharing a meal or a game night with family and friends.
- Pros: Lightweight, stackable design
- Cons: Lack of lumbar support
What to Expect From the IKEA Store
IKEA is a Swedish-founded multinational group that designs and sells tons of home goods, ready-to-assemble furniture, and appliances. More than its famous Swedish meatballs, it has transformed how consumers shop for furniture.
It originally sold accessories and knicknacks at bargain prices. At present, it sells beautifully designed, functional, and unique pieces at affordable prices across the world.
- Store count: It’s no wonder that they have more than 430 stores in 52 countries. The company has hoards of enthusiastic and dedicated customers who are store diehards throughout the world.
- Vision: The brand’s vision is to “create a better everyday life for many people”. It offers functional and practical home furnishing products that are well-designed at reasonable prices. The product lines are made to furnish your entire house, making them an easy one-stop shop for all your interior decor needs.
- Material quality: The company uses a mix of high-quality woods and cheaper particleboard, so durability varies. Some collections, like pine, offer lasting construction. In contrast, lower-end pieces made of cardboard and compressed materials may not endure that much.
- Bargain prices: By selling affordable furniture and home goods, the company makes styles accessible to most budgets, though the low prices mean durability is sometimes compromised.
- Modular and DIY designs: IKEA’s modular furniture systems allow for customization. Flat packs keep prices down through customer assembly, though DIY can be daunting for complex items.
- Website and online user experience: The IKEA website provides an immersive digital showroom experience with product details and online ordering convenience. You can also order replacement parts through the website.
- Delivery and customer service: The store offers affordable delivery at just $49. However, there have been complaints about service issues like damaged goods and challenging return processes. This indicates an inconsistency in customer service when going through the whole thing of ordering.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Furniture Pieces From IKEA Actually Good Quality?
Overall, furniture designs from IKEA are fairly good quality, even for a low price, using sturdy materials like pine wood in many collections. However, some cheaper pieces with particle board construction may not hold up over time.
How Long Will Furniture From IKEA Last?
Wooden collections like solid pine can last for many years with care, while cheaper particle board pieces may show wear and tear in one to five years. High-use items like sofas tend to have shorter lifespans as well. Despite that, the longevity of furniture pieces from IKEA varies greatly depending on the materials used.
Is IKEA a Strong Brand?
As one of the most recognized and largest furniture retailers worldwide, IKEA is undoubtedly a very strong brand because it can sell affordable yet stylish designs while considering a convenient shopping experience with a vast global presence. Its brand power allows the company to drive high sales volume despite some questions about durability.
While not perfect, furniture from the shop offers fairly good quality and durability, considering the affordable prices. By sticking with wooden collections and understanding that some cheaper pieces may not last decades, IKEA can be a good option for furnishing your home stylishly.