Deciding on a bed without trusted first-hand reviews can leave you lost in a sea of options. Without this knowledge, you are unsure if your choice will be comfortable and hold up. Daybeds are among the most requested pieces of IKEA furniture to buy in my own design work.
My IKEA daybed reviews include thorough testing and rankings. This means you can confidently select the perfect model for your space and budget.
IKEA’s Daybed Round-Up Winner
My favorite daybed is IKEA’s Hemnes. I love this bed because I can convert it to a king-size bed for the master or guest room. While I don’t have the space for the pull-out version, it provides cool pillow options to make it a comfy area to relax!
I’m not a big fan of this series in general, yet I liked that this bed has a high rail across all three sides. I was also impressed by the gray-stained version.
The other options only had white or black/brown options. They were much more reminiscent of bedroom furnishing, especially for a kid’s room. But, the gray version would fit into an office environment better than the others.
Reviewing IKEA’s Daybeds
I should lay out what’s important to me in choosing one. Even if I didn’t like a particular design, I tried to imagine a situation where someone would want to use it.
- To provide an honest and detailed review of IKEA’s bed options for your home, I went to Jacksonville, Florida. I spent hours reviewing everything in the IKEA showroom.
- I also considered first-hand experience when I bought particular models for my clients.
- My guide assessed the different models. We looked at their intended multifunctional use in a home office/guest room.
- I prioritized quality craftsmanship, durability, and reasonable cost.
- My evaluation focused on comfort, quality, size, and design factors.
- I preferred overstuffed daybeds with plush textures to match a farmhouse chic style.
Top Daybeds From IKEA
Trying to decide which daybed to buy can be overwhelming. Sifting through pages of online reviews is tough. Plus, you never really know what you’ll get because everyone has a different opinion.
Shopping for a bed is even more difficult because you need to see, touch, and feel the bed before buying it. I’m sure there are other more important things you want to do than spend an entire day at IKEA’s showroom testing their furniture.
Check out how I compared the different daybeds and see which would suit your preferences.
|Hemnes||6 inches||Medium||High-padded sides, three color options||Traditional with high arms|
|Fyresdal||4 inches||Soft||Low platform, detachable neckroll||Scandinavian minimal|
|Markerad||8 inches||Medium-firm||Extra drawers, coordinating collection||Contemporary tufted|
|Flekke||4 inches||Soft||Pull-out double size, corner backrest||Casual multi-functional|
|Brimnes||6 inches||Medium||Underbed storage, chic profile||Modern, sleek frame|
The Hemnes daybed is a smart solution if you live in a small space. It can serve as a single bed, a sofa, a daybed in the living room, and storage space in one piece of furniture for my spare bedroom. There’s a version with a trundle bed that can fit a double mattress when fully extended.
At least two mattresses fit this bed, including the Meistervik foam. While it’s smaller than regular twin mattresses, it fits nicely with the Hemnes daybed.
The two drawers are handy. I could use one for extra pillows for guests coming over and the other to store some of my craft supplies. I like that three sides go up around the bed, so I can make a cozy little cocoon to read and daydream.
- Size: 78.375 inches L x 41 inches W X 32.625 inches H
- More details: Comes with 2 drawers
- Coordinates with a variety of other bedroom furniture from the same series
- High-profile seat and arms around three sides
- Paint chipping on the floor model
- Back support was wobbly compared to other styles
Fyresdal Double Bed
The Fyresdal Daybed is a great bed option if you prefer a metal frame that you can use as a sofa or a single sleeper. As a guest bed in twin form, I did enjoy the IKEA mattress style on top of it. But, I feel like it’s a cheap futon frame.
The bed has a classic powder-coated steel frame, making it easy to maintain. Like a trundle, this provides a timeless design. It allows me to design it in various ways, whether minimalistic for two adults or colorful for kids.
I first bought this bed for a friend’s daughter when she transitioned out of a crib. Her daughter loves this style because it provides a lot of space in the room. I was able to maximize the floor space in her daughter’s room. There was enough space for sleeping, playing, and studying.
- Size: 77.5 inches L x 41.375 inches W x 37 inches H
- More details: Fits 2 twin size cushions stacked for a king-size bed
- Simple bed design with a three-sided back support
- Coated steel construction for long-lasting durability
- The joints were a bit wobbly
- Lacks built-in drawers
The Markerad daybed is another great bed option if you don’t want a traditional bed to take up much space in a room. I mainly use this for my spare room. I can use the bed to turn it into a guest room and then transform the space into a craft room when there are no guests.
I like to sit on the bed while working on a project. I’m even sitting on it right now while writing this review. The bed is a comfortable alternative to a lounge chair whenever you want to sit while reading.
But, the mattress wasn’t very supportive and sagged right to the platform when I sat down. The plus side is that the bed platform is a solid pine construction, and you can paint it to customize it.
- Size: 74.375 inches L x 38.25 inches W
- More details: Can buy the frame separately and use it with a different mattress or cushion
- Boasts a quintessential Scandinavian design
- Can be stained or painted to match any decor
- Extremely low to the ground
- You may need to replace the cushion and add drawers
Flekke Daybed Style
The Flekke daybed is an awesome spare bed because it can be the same bed as your sofa. I first used this as a guest bed when I needed extra storage for a small apartment. It has great storage for extra bedding and seasonal clothes.
Like a trundle, this bed was pretty sturdy, and the corner backrest is a nice touch to prop up throw pillows. I recommend getting IKEA mattresses to ensure they fit the frame, as the frame’s sizing is a bit tricky.
The extended frame was absolutely massive, while the drawers were incredibly deep! This bed would work well in a kid’s playroom, especially as they get older and have sleepovers with friends. It’s big enough to accommodate at least five elementary-aged kids.
- Size: 77.5 inches L x 42.5 inches W x 33.875 inches H
- More details: Two twin-sized cushions stacked to form a full-sized bed when pulled out
- Sturdy construction with two full drawers underneath for extra storage
- With double-stacked twin mattresses, you can transform it into a king bed
- Very low to the ground when pulled out and without the cushions stacked
- It doesn’t have a front panel to support the foam
Brimnes Bed Frame
The Brimnes daybed is a good quality bed frame whenever I need an extra bed in my house yet don’t have enough space for one. I typically pair this bed with a Meistervik foam mattress. You can sleep on it comfortably for several hours, especially when I have guests over.
There’s ample storage to store extra bedding and other essential items in a guest room. I liked how sleek the Brimnes daybed looked, including the extra drawers. The daybed really looked comfortable and was more like one bed than a couch.
A shallow lip contains the cushion. I wasn’t a fan of how easy it was to push over the hardwood floors. The bed was light and would move around pretty easily, tossing and turning on it.
- Size: 76.75 inches L x 140.5 inches W x 22.5 inches H
- More details: Coordinates with a variety of other bedroom items from the same series
- More storage drawers are great for keeping extra blankets or items
- Low profile doesn’t obstruct the room or create a wall
- Very light and moves easily
- Questionable durability with chipping paint
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Daybed From IKEA Worth It?
With prices starting under $200, IKEA’s daybeds are worth it, especially if you want a flexible sleeping space on a budget. Some have long-term quality and durability concerns compared to pricier options. Despite that, the value depends on your needs and expectations.
How Do I Make IKEA’s Daybed More Comfortable?
You can add a plush cushion topper, soft sheets, and a comfortable pillow. Propped against the arms, they maximize the coziness on any daybed frame. Customizable bedding makes a big impact on comfort.
Are Daybeds Long-Lasting?
Properly assembled, high-quality daybeds can be quite durable. They can last over a decade with care. But, lower-cost daybeds may show wear, creaks, and sags after five to 10 years of regular use. This is why I like solid construction for the greatest longevity.
With distinct styles and prices, weigh your priorities. Comfort, quality, and size will determine the optimal IKEA bed for your home needs. The Hemnes stood out for its high-padded sides and gray stain options. Carefully weigh specs and reviews to find your new bed.