Welcome to our small swimming pool gallery!
A swimming pool is a true luxury: a personal body of water at your fingertips whenever you need it.
Whenever you feel the need to take a dip, float, or just read a book by a shimmering pool, you need only walk through your door, outside and you’re there. With your own pool, there is never a need to pack up and go to the beach, if you are even lucky enough to live near one.
Pools can be a wonderful addition to a home, but not all homes have the space for a full-sized pool. What do you do if you don’t have the free space to dedicate to a full diving pool? Don’t worry, there are plenty of ideas for smaller pools that may work for the space you do have!
From a small infinity pool on the edge of your deck, or a small circle in ground pool in your yard, there are a great deal of options for small personal pools. Smaller pools are a great option for smaller yards, smaller families, or if you just feel like dedicating much of your space to a pool.
What do you have to consider before dedicating yourself to building a small pool?
- Exercise – Swimming is a great source of exercise that is also fun. While smaller pools don’t have the size to provide the extensive swimming that a full-sized pool can, just moving around in the water is good for you.
- Relief from the heat – On a hot day, there is nothing better than taking a dip. A pool, even a small one, can provide a great alternative to sitting inside in the air conditioning. A pool does not need considerable size to provide this kind of relief. A small dipping pool does the job perfectly.
- The look – Pools bring an interesting and aesthetically pleasing component to a yard. Even smaller pools can enhance an outdoor space considerably.
- Less occupied space – If you are considering a pool at all, but do not have the space for a full-sized pool, or even don’t want to commit to the larger version, a small pool can work.
- Cheaper to maintain – Pool maintenance is a consistent cost. The smaller the pool is, the less you have to spend to maintain it. Chemicals, and power to run pumps are reduced as a pool gets smaller.
- Safety – Pools can be a safety concern with small children and animals. Many of these safety concerns can be mitigated with the proper care, and precautions. Safeguarding your pool may be yet another expense. And if you are already hurting for space, gates can cut down even more on a cramped yard.
- Maintenance – Pools require maintenance, and pretty consistently too. Without regular maintenance polls can not only began to look bad, but they may even cause health concerns. Bacteria and algae can develop in a pool that is not properly cared for.
- Laps – In a small pool, you can’t effectively do the laps that a larger pool allows.
- Diving – Smaller pools may inhibit the ability for you to dive in. With reduced space, you have to mindful of the space, and be very careful.
- Gatherings – One of the facts about pools is that they draw people. When you have a pool, you will have people that want to come over and swim. With a full-sized pool, large gatherings of people are quite easy. Lots of people can gather and swim freely. With a small pool the space is limited, and while you may be tempted to have a pool party, it may get a bit crowded around your smaller pool.
Smaller pools are typically considered anything that costs less than $50,000 for a fully installed
Materials for pool construction vary. Per square foot you can expect to spend between $71 and $103 for a concrete pool. Concrete is the strongest construction, and is very commonly used. It can be made into nearly any shape, and because of the sturdiness of the material will last longer without extensive maintenance on the construction.
Fiberglass is another material often used for pool construction, but gives fewer options. A fiberglass pool is pre-constructed so you may be limited to whatever sized and shapes that are available at the pool shops. Fiberglass costs between $79 and $109 per square foot of pool space. This may be the least viable options, because it may not be possible to find a fiberglass pool build that fits your exact needs.
Vinyl liners are another option. Vinyl liners are limited only by the skills of the builder, and thus are a good option. If you can find a talented builder to work with the vinyl, your pool size and shape will limited only by your available space and imagination. you can manage vinyl pool installed for between $58 and $89.
Another option is an above ground pool. Above ground pools are by far the cheapest options. Depending on your space, an above ground pool may or may or not work. The depth of an above ground pool is limited by how tall you want to make it. Above ground pools also often have decks which can take up a bit of space, and if you are looking to conserve space, it may be an issue. Above ground pool options are typically around $13 per square foot. (Source: Fixr)
See our definitive swimming pool guide for more ideas!
A beautiful infinity pool extends off of the ends of this deck. With very little landscaping space, a small pool still fits here, hanging over the woods.
This tiny pool is perfect for a casual dip on a hot day. It takes very little space. This pool can fit off the corner of a deck, without dedicated space.
This small pool is accented by a fire pit and ample seating. Not a lot of space is needed for this pool for it to be a nice place to take a dip.
A very simple pool behind this villa style home. The room exists for a larger full size pool, but by sizing down the space the pool takes up, there is room for both a pool and a well manicured lawn.
A lovely geometric swimming pool squeezed into a small patio area. This is a perfect place to relax and read a book, or to enjoy the cool water on a hot day.
This pool is tucked between the home and the deck. It is a clever use of space, stretching the pool longer while keeping it relatively thin. This way there can be some semblance of length without taking up much more square footage.
This pool is by the side of this nice patio area. It is small, but very elegant. and allows for ample seating. This area is designed to be very relaxing, and this pool is perfect for this space.
This is the perfect space to relax. A small pool with seating and shade built into the water! You can read and lay back, then slip into a deeper potion and submerge. All without taking up much space.
A simple and small round underground pool. Circles are a great idea for pace economy. They are sleek and allow for a great deal of flexibility.
This asymmetrical pond style pool with waterfall is an amazing small pool. The shape allows for a smart use of space while being visually interesting.
A stunning infinity pool integrated into this deck overlooks a stunning view. With limited landscaping opportunities with this space a small pool is a great addition.
A well lit and lovely pool in this deck area. While small it is the perfect size to bring some extra luxury to this recreation area.
A small square raised infinity edge pool. This small dipping pool is great for space economy and is visually stunning. The back walls and infinity edge give this pool a super sleek and modern appeal.
This small round above ground pool sits right off a small deck. It is a space efficient above ground option, with a very appealing deck area.
There are two great ideas for smalls pools here. One, a wrap around pool that circles this luxurious deck, and another small dipping pool lined by rocks.
This small pool is made from multiple small circles. It is sunken into a deck area, and with floor seating, it creates a luxurious and interesting small pool area.
A nice simple small pool would work well in nearly any small space. the crystal clear water is a very attractive addition to a back yard patio.
A gorgeous hexagonal dipping pool under a pagoda. This is an amazing design for a small pool. It is a very romantic spot for couples to retreat to.
This is a perfect idea for a residential home with limited space. This is a great pool area, raised and lined with stylish brick. The pool extends off the raised patio, not reducing sit lines but still sitting above ground.
A tiny and sleek brightly lit pool tucked between a deck and the wall of the house. It’s a clever use of space and creates and attractive and simple look.
An interestingly designed small pool at the back end of a patio area. The various angles and levels make a dynamic and beautiful pool area.
This gorgeous pool nestled into this deck area. It is small but wonderful place to relax in the water, overlooking the ocean. This pool goes to show that luxury is not always about the size of the pool.
This is a stunning and elegant infinity edge pool that wraps around a deck. This is a clever and interesting method to fit a pool into a smaller space.
Related pools and galleries you may enjoy: