52 Small Kitchen Ideas (Don’t Overthink Compact Design)
52 fabulous small and tiny kitchen ideas and designs that are simple, functional, beautiful and make you realize you don't have to overthink compact design for any room in the home including the kitchen.
Thanks for visiting our small kitchen ideas photo gallery where you can search hundreds of compact kitchen design ideas. In fact, you’ll some are downright tiny.
This is a homey and warm small kitchen that has a combination of black walls matching with black metal chairs paired with brown wooden floating shelves and table. This table serves as the kitchen peninsula as well as a breakfast bar adorned with large wall-mounted mirrors on the side.
This gorgeous kitchen features a single wall counter and a large center island featuring a granite countertop and has space for a breakfast bar. On the side, the kitchen features a black wall and multiple built-in shelving.
Small l-shaped kitchen with contemporary wood cabinets, open upper shelving and white backsplash. Includes half-fridge and miniature range.
Gorgeous white and black small kitchen with white subtile wall next to brick wall. Black countertops contrast nicely with white cupboard faces.
Small yellow kitchen with loads of cabinet space. Extra light emitted from the skylight. I don’t care for the beige backsplash – should be white.
Just for fun… the ultimate tailgating kitchen. It’s the rear hatch kitchen for a teardrop camping trailer.
Modern small kitchen with dark wood flooring and green backsplash set against white cabinets and white ceiling.
Tiny white minimalist kitchen with wood countertops. White and gray hexagon tile backsplash adds an interesting texture to the space.
Tiny l-shaped white kitchen with green baseboards in an apartment. Small wood peninsula breakfast bar separates kitchen space from apartment entry.
Cozy white kitchen in condo with wood countertops and stainless steel appliances. This has everything you need including a decent amount of counter space for such a small kitchen area.
Long and narrow la-shaped kitchen newly renovated with white cabinets, yellow accent wall, stainless steel appliances and wood flooring. Again, I’m not a fan of the beige countertops, but I love the ruby red backsplash.
Modern blue and white u-shaped small kitchen with window above the sink.
Fabulous tiny white kitchen with black and white checkered floor and check out the built-in mini pantry along the opposing wall… brilliant design. The interior designer did a great job here with this kitchen renovation project.
Small single wall with island kitchen with plenty of light natural wood and stainless steel appliances.
Tiny white kitchen with black countertops and breakfast bar peninsula that accommodates two kitchen bar stools.
Isn’t that cute and cozy? Tiny, tiny, tiny white modern kitchen with dark gray countertops and black appliances. I think only one person can cook in that kitchen at a time.
Cave-like small kitchen with a decently long breakfast bar. Not the smallest kitchen in our collection of small kitchen images, but it’s fairly small and gives you a great idea of what you can do in a smallish kitchen space.
Single wall contemporary kitchen with white cabinetry. Dining area directly in the kitchen space so it’s very efficient and also looks great.
The wood countertop and checkered backsplash make this tiny kitchen a winner. I’m not too crazy about the engraved cabinets (shaker style would look better) but the black and white backsplash and floor look amazing.
White and black small kitchen with tiny peninsula off of which extends a cozy black dining table for 3 people. Living room adjacent to the kitchen – overall nice open concept living space.
This is a small kitchen located beside the staircase with glass railings. You can see here that the kitchen has consistent wooden tones on its cabinetry and peninsula making the black tones of the appliances stand out.
27 Clever Small Kitchen Tips (with Photo Examples)
Above is our full gallery showcasing many small and tiny kitchen photo ideas for 2021. Below is what we call our “Tips” section where we provide commentary on a wide array of compact kitchen designs to illustrate tips for small kitchen design.
1. Place storage along walls as much as possible
2. Create space saving dining areas
3. Add surface areas that don’t impede use of the space
4. Go tiny if necessary and make it work
5. Flush mount cabinets to retain space
6. Turn a single wall design into an l-shape layout
7. Add curves
8. Use glass-faced cabinets for the perception of more space
9. Add excitement and energy with splashes of bright colors
10. Fit in cabinets and additional surface areas (i.e. simple peninsula)
11. Go for single peninsula instead of single wall to accommodate more people
12. Balance counterspace with upper cabinetry
13. Go light and bright to make it look bigger
14. Commercial grade with stainless steel throughout
15. Just because it’s small doesn’t mean it has to be plain – invest in a backsplash for example
16. Use the entire kitchen as an accent piece for the entire living space
17. Incorporate clever space-saving ideas for eating and working (or both as the kitchen blow does)
18. Make it pop with your backsplash
19. Have a single-wall layout? Add an island
20. Better yet, make it a u-shape for more storage and work space
21. Save more space overall with a washer/dryer hybrid in the kitchen
22. Most l-shaped small kitchens can fit an island
23. Add windows and skylights to make it look so much bigger (and it’s so much more pleasant)
24. Go looooong – use up that wall space even if a single wall layout
25. Opt for small even in larger spaces for enhanced flow throughout the home