Parts of a Bed, Headboard and Bed Frame (List):
- Headboard slat: Vertical grid or screen attached to the back of the bed frame.
- Headboard top rail: The horizontal piece set on top of the headboard slat.
- Headboard cross rail: The horizontal piece set below the headboard slat that supports the bed base.
- Bed side rail: Also known as cot sides, safety sides and bed guards, these are those parts of the bed that run from the headboard to the footboard and support the bed lengthwise.
- Bottom side rail: Wood or metal pieces that run below the headboard to the footboard.
- Footboard slat: Decorative piece of vertical panel attached to the front of the bed frame.
- Headboard leg: Vertical parts at the opposite sides of the headboard slat used so that the headboard sits at the desired height.
- Cleat: The area that serves as base for the bed to which cut slats are attached.
- Footboard top rail: Vertical grid or screen attached to the front of the bed frame.
- Cut slats: Thin narrow pieces cut in desired lengths and widths that create a series of overlapping grid or screen at the base of the bed.
Awesome diagram illustrating the different parts of a bed, bed frame and mattress (cross section cut so you can see the interior parts of a mattress).
Parts and Layers of a Mattress
- HD PU foam (High Density Polyurethane Foam): Plastic with an open cellular structure that makes it flexible or rigid and used for comfort by providing support to mattresses, upholstered furniture and car seats.
- Double foam quilt: A two-sided quilted mattress.
- Memory foam: Made of polyurethane and other chemicals, it’s designed to mold to the body in reaction to body heat and pressure and has the beneficial effects of providing relief from back/spine pain and pressure points, among others.
- Polyester padding: A mattress’ non-woven, thermally bonded component designed to feel either soft or firm and to provide comfort.
- Springs: Resilient metal coils used to support the bed mattress.
- Cotton felt: The mattress component that separates the coil system from the cushioned layers of the bed.
- Quilt: A warm decorative bed covering usually made of three layers of padding stitched together.
More: Types of Mattresses