Welcome to our gallery of wonderful hot tub ideas!
If you are looking to add a feature to your yard, a hot tub is not a bad idea. A hot tub brings people together, since people love to relax and socialize in the warm waters.
A hot tub can be functional in many different ways. It can work perfectly as a private spot for a romantic evening; or, if you have a big enough hot tub, it can work as a gathering spot for your entire circle of friends. There are hot tubs made to hold up to 16 people!
A hot tub can function as more than that as well. Soaking in a hot tub may have health benefits. It can help with muscle and joint pain, circulation, and has even been known to aid in sleep.
Even if not used for a specific medical condition or injury, a hot tub is a perfect place to unwind after a long, hard, or stressful day.
While hot tubs have many benefits, there are things you should be aware of, and risks associated with the ownership and usage of a hot tub. Luckily we are here to give you some information and ideas to help you out!
So, what are the pros and cons of owning a hot tub?
- Relieve your stress and pain – Hot water has a history of being used in therapeutic ways. If you have pain, soaking in a hot tub can help alleviate the pain. If you have just had a stressful or busy day, a hot tub can be quite relaxing. Some say that the use of a hot tub can even reduce anxiety and help with deeper and more restful sleep. The benefits of hot water therapy can extend to various injuries and inflammations. The typical injuries that hot tubs are well known for helping with include lower back pain and arthritis. (Source: Live Strong)
- Entertainment – Adding a hot tub to your backyard gives you an instant spot for entertainment. It is a feature that draws people all year round. People love to sit and socialize in a hot tub. It also makes for a great spot to host a romantic night at home. It will get plenty of use; if not by you, then your friends and family will be sure to take the opportunity.
- Maintenance – Hot tubs require a fair amount of upkeep. You need to maintain your hot tub well, or you can risk it becoming a home to bacteria. The combination of heat and stagnant water is a perfect environment for bacterial growth. You will need to care for the hot tub pretty regularly to keep bacteria from getting a foothold.
- Cost – On top of initial price, there are ongoing costs to a hot tub. These include the power to run the hot tub and heat it, the water bill to fill it, and any repairs that may come up if it breaks.
- Heat stress – Using a hot tub feels great and you may want to stay in there forever, but there are dangers to be aware of when considering a hot tub. There have been injuries associated with the use of hot tubs. Most of these injuries are linked to excessive heat exposure. It is easy to sit in the water, getting used to the temperature, and then be tempted to turn it up. After a while this can be dangerous. If you ever become lightheaded, dizzy or uncomfortable, get out of the hot tub. Regardless of how you feel, setting safe time limits and taking extra care with children, pregnant women, and people who have been drinking is always a good idea. (Source: Live Strong)
- Circulation issues – A hot tub can increase circulation which is fine for most people, and can be good for some, but there are others with preexisting circulatory and heart conditions that may be exacerbated by a hot tub. If you have any concerns in this area, consult a doctor before using a hot tub.
- Bacteria – Without proper maintenance and care, a hot tub is the perfect spot for bacterial growth. This can make it risky to go into a hot tub with open wounds, or even dangerous when getting the hot tub water into your eyes or mouth. A general rule of thumb is to stay out of a hot tub if you notice odor; a properly maintained and cared for hot tub is odorless. Stay out of any hot tub you think may be questionable. It’s better to be safe than sorry. (Source: Live Strong)
Hot tubs come in different styles and with different features, so the cost of installing a hot tub may vary. A small portable spa can cost between $500 and $2,000, depending on model. An above ground hot tub can average between $4,000 and $10,000 depending on the size. An in-ground hot tub is the most expensive variety of hot tubs and can cost between $5,000 and $15,000, or more, depending on size and features. (Source: Kompareit)
Find more backyard ideas in our definitive guide to backyards!
The above hot tub is on a deck of a vacation home we stayed at in Ucluelet, BC. We had a great time warming up in the tub on the deck overlooking the ocean every afternoon.
Here is a classic above the ground hot tub. This kind of hot tub is perfect for personal use. It’s a nice get away from the world when you need to escape after a long day and relax.
If you have put in a great deal of work into your landscaping and lighting of your outside area, the best way to enjoy it is to hop into a hot tub, soak in the warm water, and take it all in.
Because a hot tub is a great spot for socialization, you can incorporate it into your other seating areas and patios so people inside and outside of the hot tub can interact without much trouble.
This version is built into a raised stone garden bed and is covered by a curved pergola structure.
This is a picture of an inflatable and mobile hot tub. These are great for people that are not sure if they want to invest the money, time, or space for a permanent structure. A hot tub can be an investment and this option is a great way to test if a hot tub is really for you. Learn more here.
An in-ground hot tub, like a swimming pool, is a great place to arrange patio furniture around. Climbing in and out of this hot tub is easy, and you don’t have to be away from your friends and family when you want to take a soak.
Surrounding your hot tub with greenery is an amazing way to make it feel even more secluded. You can really escape into this hot tub and forget the rest of the world.
Here is a hot tub overlooking the water. This is the perfect spot to let the worries fade away. If you have a view like this, there is no better place to enjoy it than in the warm soothing waters of a hot tub.
This personal hot tub has a tremendous view of the world. A garden around your hot tub is great for letting the atmosphere carry you away while the water melts away your stress. Learn more here.
Having a hot tub near a pool is a fantastic idea because jumping from hot to cold water is a therapeutic and amazing feeling. It also makes your pool space have utility all year round.
What is better than having your hot tub or spa next to your pool? Having your hot tub or spa in your pool. It is a true luxury to be able to swim in cool waters, and just wade into the warm and relaxing warm waters of a hot tub.
A great poolside feature is a small and personal hot tub. With a view like this, who could resist a long and relaxing soak in this hot tub?
Here we see a luxury hot tub in the center of a lovely pool. If you want to take a relaxing afternoon soak and your friends would rather swim, there is no need to be apart with this layout.
If you are worried about your space, or not having the right place for a hot tub, there are small and portable models that can be set up nearly anywhere. With limited space, this may be an option for you. Learn more here.
Building a structure such as this around a hot tub lets the occupants enjoy their surroundings when they want to. Closing the shades allows you to make this hot tub a private and secluded spot. The best of both worlds.
There are lots of ways to incorporate a hot tub into a pool area. A stone edge and a waterfall are great additions that both separates the hot tub into its own section and ties it into the rest of the pool area.
With a small patio, some simple walls, and a roof you can make your hot tub usable even in inclement weather. Soaking in hot water during the cool rain or even snow is a unique and relaxing experience.
It’s easy to unwind and let the world slip away when you are taking it easy in this hot tub, overlooking the water and the endless sky. There is nothing better after a stressful day than letting this kind of hot tub take your cares away.
An infinity edge is a great way to make any body of water look sleek and modern. This is an example of an infinity edge that has an up-to-date appeal.
With a larger hot tub, you can host many people for a fun and social soak. So, think about how many people you are going to want to have in your hot tub at once when you consider the size.
Here is a nice area that is enclosed with curtains, and has a lovely sofa next to the hot tub. This area can be private and secluded or open wide to the worlds, but there is always ample room for people to sit in and out of the hot tub.
This is a picture of a nice personal hot tub next to a pool. It is so close you could step from one into the other.
Greenery is the perfect companion to a hot tub. As you let the warm water take you away, it is nice to be surrounded by nature, and the soothing atmosphere that a lovely garden can provide.
By lining your hot tub in stone or brick you can really incorporate it into the rest of your landscaping and yard features. Tying them to other features in the yard may prevent them from feeling like a standalone piece.
Here is a luxury hot tub in a personal grotto. In an enclosed and private place like this, you can be all by yourself in the lap of luxury, with nary a care in the world.
This hot tub has a natural and rugged appeal to match the mountainous area. This is the perfect spot to warm up on a cool mountain evening.
A hot tub is always a good addition to a social area. It can draw people in and make the area far more appealing to guests. A well maintained hot tub can be an irresistible draw for parties and other gatherings.
Not all hot tubs are the same shape. While many are rectangular or circular, you can get custom tubs in a great variety of shapes. Here is a luxury hot tub in an octagonal shape.
Here is a round hot tub with a lighting element. Nighttime is a great time to have a dip in a hot tub, and if you can get lighting elements incorporated into your hot tub, this can make the night time soak even more enjoyable and atmospheric.
You don’t have to make the hot tub the center of your social area. A hot tub can fit well into a corner, out of the way until you need or want it.
Here is a deck that has a hot tub off of the end of it and a small bench on the side. There is plenty of greenery and vegetation around. This is a serene and relaxing spot to let the world disappear.
A deluxe indoor hot tub features a textured backdrop wall with shelves topped with soothing candles and a fountain as the focal point. It is designed with lovely glass pillars highlighting the beauty of the rectangular tub.
A round stone hot tub attached to a stunning pool faces the water slide with fountain. Fire pits and torches create a warm ambiance along with the serene view.
Warm yourself up in this cozy freestanding hot tub framed with wood planks and surrounded by stone pillars. It has a fireplace fixed into the stone wall to make sure you’ll get that warm bath.
An in-ground backyard hot tub features a wood plank deck lined with square granite stones.
A small hot tub surrounded by brick walls for added shade and security. It is accented with green grasses fixed on a half wall brick.
A square hot tub inside a pool framed with light wood planks matching the deck. It is surrounded with lush green lawn and trees that serve as walls.
Modern hot tub lined with stones that compliment the stairs leading to the house. It is set on a concrete platform bordered by green lawn that separates from the beautiful garden.
Another modern hot tub surrounded by light wood plank deck with stairs that lead to the balcony.
A hot tub framed with wood planks sits in on a concrete platform in the middle of the green lawn. With its lovely garden and towering trees, you’ll get to relax with peace with an assurance of privacy.
Small round tub fixed on a wooden plank deck with a spectacular view of the beach and a crystal clear view of the sunset.
Bamboo walls with plants surrounded this square hot tub with steps beside a round rattan lounge chair making you feel you’re one with nature.
A unique wooden round hot tub with tree trunk ladder helping you soak safely.
Related Galleries You May Like:
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.