Our 21 Beautiful Plunge Pool Ideas gallery features a stunning variety of plunge pools, explaining the ins, outs, and reasons for owning these unique pools.
Welcome to our guide to plunge pools!
You may ask yourself, what exactly is a plunge pool? A plunge pool is a small basin typically filled with cold water. Plunge pools are often used to refresh you after you have been in a sauna or a hot tub.
Many athletes use plunge pools after workouts. Research shows that after exercise or exposure to extreme heat, a shock to the system, such as a dip in an ice bath or plunge pool, can help with recovery and reduce swelling.
Even if you are not an athlete looking to recover from an intense workout, having a plunge pool to wade in can be refreshing and relaxing on a hot day or after you get out of the hot tub.
Due to the size of the plunge pool, there are some things that the plunge pool is not good for. You will not be playing water volleyball, nor swimming laps. Although, if your desire for a pool is to soak, relax, beat the heat, wade, or just be by the water, the plunge pool is a viable option; one that is considerably more affordable than a full sized pool.
The size is also a nice feature of the plunge pool because it does not take up much of your space. If you happen to live in a climate where swimming all year round is not an option, having a pool that does not monopolize your space in the off season can be nice.
This is also nice if you don’t have much space in the first place. Plunge pools provide pool opportunities to people with limited space, so you don’t need a large estate to have a personal pool at your disposal.
- Space – The plunge pool does not take up a lot of space. So if you have limited yard space, or just don’t want a pool to dominate the space you do have, a plunge pool may be perfect for you.
- Health – A plunge pool is utilized by athletes for their post workout benefits. If you like to work out, jumping in a cold plunge pool right after may be the perfect thing for you. It is also claimed by many to have health benefits when used in conjunction with spas and saunas.
- Cost – A plunge pool can save you thousands of dollars if you need a pool and don’t mind its small size.
- Amazing for couples/singles – If you are single, or a couple, and want a pool that is personal, this is a great option.
- Utility – There are limited things you can do in a plunge pool. If you are looking to host a party for some two-on-two water volleyball, you are going to be mighty cramped if the space in the plunge pool is all you have to offer. Also, the laps you can swim are going to be considerably shorter than regulation. And don’t even think about installing a diving board.
- Best with other features – The plunge pool’s biggest draw is that it is part of a two part process. After a hot tub or sauna, jumping into the plunge pool exemplifies the experience. But this requires you have a sauna near by. If you don’t, you won’t be able to experience these benefits of the plunge pool.
- Not great for families – If you have kids that like to swim, not many are going to fit into the plunge pool area. You may require more space than this to satisfy the little ones.
Plunge pools cost considerably less that full sized pool, mostly due to its size. But if you opt for a cold water option, the reduction in heating can save quite a bit of money.
Check out our definitive swimming pool guide for more details on pool designs and ideas.
This is a small plunge pool surrounded by stone. This is a perfect place to relax in the water, taking a dip and looking for the beautiful landscape all around you.
This rooftop plunge pool is a wonderful place to look down over the islands out in the distance. This little pool proves that a pool does not need to be massive or complex to be a luxury pool.
This plunge pool is nestled between a sitting area, a dining area, and a lovely bit of landscaping. Its perfect for a relaxing soak after a meal or workout.
This is a long plunge pool with a waterfall feature at the far end. This pool is perfect for after a long sauna session, or an extended workout. You can just float in the cool water.
Source: Zillow Digs ™
This pretty plunge pool is surrounded by wonderful stone work. It mixes rustic and luxury perfectly. This would be an amazing pool to soak in after a working out.
This small plunge pool is a perfect use of space. It is enough space to relax, and raised so you can have a good view of your neighborhood. A perfect pool for a couple.
This plunge pool has an amazing view of the sunset, surf, and the islands in the distance. A plunge pool could not be a more welcoming and relaxing place than in this location.
Source: Zillow Digs ™
This is a raised plunge pool out in the middle of a well landscaped oasis. Floating, wading and soaking in this plunge pool is an amazing way to spend an afternoon.
This plunge pool sits right outside of the poor of this home. It makes it perfect for a dip after a hot sauna. You can stay close to your home while recouping and refreshing yourself.
This is a perfect plunge pool, between two seating areas. The way this is set up, you can lounge back in your personal pool and still be sitting with friends.
This is an amazing plunge pool on the far end of a fire pit, surrounded by chairs. This pool is great when the fire gets too hot and you need to cool off.
A great view right below the ledge of this long thin, and relaxing plunge pool. A good mix of direct sunlight and shade allow for some versatility in this pool.
Source: Zillow Digs ™
A stunning plunge pool off of the side of this deck, over looking a beach and the water. It is surrounded by lots of brickwork and a wooden walkway. It’s a perfect place to refresh yourself.
A perfect plunge pool with a fun turtle design. This is the perfect place to cool off after a hit tub, sauna, or intense work out. soaking in the cool water, and looking out over the water in the distance. What could be more relaxing?
This freeform shaped plunge pool is enclosed and surrounded by greenery. Making this spot a truly tranquil one.
This plunge pool is decorated with wonderful blue tiles. It really makes this pool pop, and stand out against the colors of the landscaping.
Source: Zillow Digs ™
A nice round plunge pool surrounded my seating. the size and shape of this plunge pool allows for a number of people to soak and cool off all at once.
A walled in plunge pool, ideal for a post sauna cool down. a very private and secluded way to recuperate and relax.
A perfect example of a plunge pool. This half circle pool is right next to a hot tub for a very easy trip from one to the other. You can really experience the hot to cold when the two are so close. This way you can use the plunge pool to full effect.
This is a nice thin plunge pool on the side of a wide open patio area. With the space that this pool saved, there is a lot of space on the patio for other activities, and gatherings.
Other Pools And Galleries That You May Enjoy:
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.