What are the standard kitchen island dimensions? It depends on the number of seats. We researched and put together custom illustrations setting out all the key dimensions for island size. Check them out.
To that end, we put together 4 custom kitchen island dimension diagrams that set out proper distances and height for islands that seat 2, 3, 4 and 6 people. Check out the four diagrams below.
- Island height: 42″
- Island depth: 42″ (with a sink). You can make islands narrower without a sink.
- Length: See below – length is main dimension that changes based on number of seats.
- Space per stool: 24″
- Kitchen Stool height: 30″
- Kitchen island surface to bottom of over-island light (i.e. bottom of pendant light): 36″
- Distance between pendant lights: 30″
- Height from stool seat to kitchen island surface: 12″
- Distance from end stool to end of island: 9″
- Clearance distance on all sides of the island: 36″ minimum. You want a minimum of 30″ from any point of the island to any other point such as a cabinet, wall, appliance so you have sufficient room to move around.
- Counter surface to upper cabinets: 18″
- Counter height: 36″ (notice a standard kitchen island height is higher than the counter).
Table of Contents
2-Seat Island with Sink
The standard length of a 2-seater island is 6′. Standard depth with a sink is 42″.
3-Seat Island with Sink
The standard length of a 3-seat island is 8′. Standard depth with a sink is 42″.
The standard length of a 4-seat island is 10′. Standard depth with a sink is 42″.
The standard length of a 6-seat island is 14′. Depth is 42″.
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.