To that end, we put together 4 custom kitchen island dimension diagrams that set out proper distances and height for islands that seat 2, 3, 4 and 6 people. Check out the four diagrams below.
- Island height: 42″
- Island depth: 42″ (with a sink). You can make islands narrower without a sink.
- Length: See below – length is main dimension that changes based on number of seats.
- Space per stool: 24″
- Kitchen Stool height: 30″
- Kitchen island surface to bottom of over-island light (i.e. bottom of pendant light): 36″
- Distance between pendant lights: 30″
- Height from stool seat to kitchen island surface: 12″
- Distance from end stool to end of island: 9″
- Clearance distance on all sides of the island: 36″ minimum. You want a minimum of 30″ from any point of the island to any other point such as a cabinet, wall, appliance so you have sufficient room to move around.
- Counter surface to upper cabinets: 18″
- Counter height: 36″ (notice a standard kitchen island height is higher than the counter).
Table of Contents
2-Seat Island with Sink
The standard length of a 2-seater island is 6′. Standard depth with a sink is 42″.
3-Seat Island with Sink
The standard length of a 3-seat island is 8′. Standard depth with a sink is 42″.
The standard length of a 4-seat island is 10′. Standard depth with a sink is 42″.
The standard length of a 6-seat island is 14′. Depth is 42″.