14 great above-ground swimming pool ideas of what above ground pools can do for your yard, showcasing the myriad shapes and styles available on a budget.
Welcome to our guide for above-ground swimming pools!
It’s always nice to have a pool. It is an incredible convenience to have a place to swim in your very own backyard. The ability to take a dip or swim laps without leaving your home, having to pack everything up and driving to the nearest beach every time you have the need to beat the heat.
When it comes to getting a pool there are a number of options to consider. The two biggest options that are typically available include above-ground pools and in-ground pools. Above ground pools are the more affordable but less versatile option of the two.
Above-ground pools typically come in pre-constructed components that are easily put together, on an appropriate space. The components are simple, and the range in quality depending how much you are looking to spend on your pool.
Not only is an above-ground pool the less costly option, but is usually the best option for homes with smaller yards, and limited flat and usable space. In-ground pools typically take up a greater area, and are less friendly on space economy than their above-ground counterparts.
If you are looking for a pool that requires less maintenance, this may be your option. While not maintenance free, above-ground pools require less attention that in-ground pools.
Often when you see above ground pools, they are wrapped in raised decks, and surrounded by seating. While one of the draws of above ground pools is that they can be moved, assembled and dismantled with relative ease, there are plenty of landscaping and decking ideas that can are able to incorporate an above ground into your yard and a central feature.
- Price – An above-ground is significantly cheaper than an underground pool of the same size. In many cases the price of an in-ground pool is many multiples more than that of an above-ground option.
- Easy to build – Above-ground pools are simple and easy to build. Most people won’t need to bother getting a professional to install the pool. An amature can easily manage putting together the preconstructed parts.
- Space – The space required for an above-ground pools is considerably less than the space needed for in ground pools. So for smaller yards, an above-ground pool is ideal.
- Less maintenance – above-ground pools require less upkeep to maintain swimmable waters. complicated cleaning and drains. They only require the proper combination of chemicals to shock the water. They are also way easier to prepare for the winter.
- Longevity – An above-ground pool will typically last 7-15 years before the structure gives out. This can be an issue if you are looking to make a permanent addition to your home, as you will have to replace the structure periodically. Compared to the expected of an underground pool of 20+ years, above-ground pools seem like a more temporary feature.
- Durability – The walls of an above-ground pool are subjected to all variety of elements and potential damage. for this reason, there is a much higher likelihood that the pool may become damaged. And the walls are not likely able to withstand much abuse.
- Depth – above-ground pools do not tend to be very deep. Typically, above-ground pools are 4 feet deep, without much variance or opportunity for much deeper.
- Aesthetics – While above-grounds continue to increase in quality and versatility, they are still quite limited in look, shape and size. In ground pools can be shaped into a number of amazing, interesting, and unique designs. With above-ground pools, you are basically limited to choosing a circle, oval or rectangle.
If you are planning on installing an above-ground pool yourself you can find self installation
On top of that, if you want to build a deck around the above-ground pool it will be an additional cost. There are actually countless different accessories that can be added to an above-ground pool. You’ll be able to find creative ways to tie the pool into the rest of your yard, through decks, steps and different levels in your landscaping.
Visit our definitive swimming pool guide for more ideas!
This round above-ground pool is surrounded by a multi leveled deck that. A deck that rides to the level of the pool give the feel and entry ease that is typical of in-ground pools. A deck like gives a nice poolside gathering spot.
This raised deck sits on the far end of an oval above-ground pool. With a bit of landscaping, this above ground pool looks like an integral and permanent part of this yards design.
This above ground pool is built uneven ground, and uses that to extend a deck from flat ground to the lip of the pool. This is a very clever way to integrate the above-ground design and make it feel like an in-ground pool.
Source: Zillow Digs™
When getting an above-ground pool, you don’t have to get fancy or build leveled decks. Sometimes a simple approach works well. This round above-ground pool stands alone, with a vintage wood panel look.
This round above ground pool is surrounded by a concrete pool area, and adorned with a slide. A wrought iron bar fence divides this area off from the rest of the yard.
Source: Zillow Digs™
This round above-ground pool has a small deck on one end, but other wise is simple, and stands in the center of a mid sized yard. This shows that the above ground pool takes up far less space in the yard than an in-ground pool would.
This rectangular above-ground pool it entirely surrounded by deck. This makes this pool feel nearly identical to a in-ground pool.
Source: Zillow Digs™
Here we see another deck all the way around a round above-ground pool. This deck is an amazing gathering spot for family pool times.
Source: Zillow Digs™
Other Pools and Galleries You May Enjoy:
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.