Part of the contemporary living room design aesthetic is smoothness. Large surfaces should be smooth, with minimal variation in texture and ideally use of only one color. The concept enables designers to combine large smooth surfaces with single colors to create extremely colorful living rooms.
Opt for smooth textures with a single color in choosing a coffee table, art, couch, or other furniture. Avoid anything remotely kitschy, such as corduroy or plaid, and tread carefully with wood and leather. The latter materials can work in a contemporary living room, depending on how the light hits them.
Light has a significant role to play in contemporary living room design. The smoothness of the space shows best when it can receive natural light from significant window sources. The flow of natural light should determine how everything is set up.
Scroll through our curated collection of current contemporary living room designs.
1. Natural Light Illuminates Space in Contemporary Living Room
Living room features a high ceiling with glass walls to bring in natural light, which works with the hardwood flooring to soften the modern interior design. A large, rustic wooden trunk coffee table sits in the middle of the room, surrounded by three modern lounge chairs.
2. Contemporary Living Room Designed with Neutral Scheme
A stone accent wall, mounted with a TV, adds texture to a contemporary space with a neutral scheme.
3. Contemporary Living Room Opens Up to the Outside
Contemporary living room, designed for seamless access to the backyard pool, features a marble and metal coffee table, with a wall-mounted TV fixed over a modern console table.
4. Stone Accents Add Contrast to Contemporary Living Room Design
The beige walls of this spacious living room feature large stone pillars that match the stone face of the fireplace. An indoor balcony with black metal railings looks over the space.
5. New York Townhouse Displays Consummate Style Notes
This contemporary living room idea features a fireplace and modern white sectionals flanked by wooden coffee tables over a beige rug. The space also includes a large round mirror as well as a candle chandelier that hangs from a tray ceiling.
- See more of the modern design in this New York townhouse once owned by Gloria Vanderbilt at TopTenRealEstateDeals.com / See more of this home here.
6. Contemporary Living Room Evokes Peace and Tranquility
Living room with a transparent glazed patio entry brings the peace and tranquility of the neighboring forest inside. The contemporary style also features a black accent wall with a digital fireplace against a gray L-shaped sofa. A wooden coffee table sits on a rustic rug over the tiled floor.
7. Glass Wraps Around Expansive Living Room
Sleek contemporary living room features an L-shaped sectional white sofa paired with a comfy white lounge chair and a glass-top coffee table over a cream-shaggy rug. Glass walls make living space appear bigger and brighter.
8. Ambient Lighting Sets the Mood in Contemporary Design
Contemporary living room with inset niche walls and a stunning tray ceiling lined with dark wood beams. Ambient lighting sets a cozy vibe for the living room decor.
9. Contemporary Living Room Adapts to its Surroundings in Montana
Spectacular contemporary living room with rustic touches features a long black sofa facing two gray single couches over a black rug. Hughes Umbanhowar Architects designed the Big Timber Riverside House in Montana to fit in with its environment.
10. House in Ukraine Makes Environmental Statement with Living Green Wall
Environmentally friendly living room in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, features glass windows and one green wall with vegetation growing to the ceiling. The soil at the base of the wall can support the growth of plants on a trellis.
11. Australian Reno Cultivates Close Relationship with the Outback
Black glossy wall with a flat-panel television adds an elegant touch to the contemporary interior in this deluxe Australian reno project.
12. Glass Walls Allow Natural Light to Permeate Space
Minimalist living room covered with wooden panels from top to bottom, accentuated by modern white chairs and a round coffee table. The space is diffused with natural light coming through the glass walls and augmented by recessed lighting.
13. Splash of Color Adds Pop to Contemporary Living Room
A circular concave ceiling with recessed lighting makes a bold statement in this stylish contemporary living room. The long purple sofa, with a pop of yellow back pillows, contrasts spectacularly with the neutral colors elsewhere in the room.
14. Contemporary Living Room Locked and Loaded with Design Elements
A huge round, almost brutalist, chandelier hangs on a wooden ceiling over an L-shaped sofa wrapped around a large center table. An abstract/figurative painting adds more interest to a room loaded with design elements.
- Designed by: Sanders Architecture
15. Living Room Features Textbook Display of Contemporary Design
Minimalist space keeps the living room area clean and simple with white furniture, a concrete gas fireplace, and wood/metal coffee table with bright orange décor pieces. Area rugs help to define separate areas of the room in a textbook display of contemporary design.
Related: All Contemporary Homes | Contemporary Foyer Ideas | Contemporary Landscaping Ideas | Contemporary Dining Room Ideas | Contemporary Kitchen Ideas | Contemporary Bedroom Ideas | Living Rooms With Dark Wood Floors | Craftsman-Style Living Room Ideas | Contemporary Primary Bathroom Ideas
16. Contemporary Living Room Uses Natural Light as a Design Feature
Contemporary living room design favors symmetrical relationships to keep things in perspective. A large wall of windows brings natural light into the room furnished with muted colors.
17. Contemporary Living Room Playfully Adds Classical Touch
On-trend contemporary living room introduces classical elements to make a singular statement. The maroon sofa adds a touch of color (and old-world stylistic anomaly) to a room otherwise firmly rooted in the present with a marble fireplace and muted tones.
- Designed by: Audax
18. Living Room Design Creates Organic Space
Contemporary living room design works with natural light, wood finishing, and views of the outside environment to create an organic space. Inside, a modern fireplace and flat-screen TV focus the room.
19. Simple, But Chic, Elements Add Flair to Living Room
Blank paintings hung above a sleek fireplace make an artistic statement in this contemporary decor. Simple but chic elements add flair to the space.
20. Area Rug Defines Open Living Room Space
Spacious contemporary living room boasts a modish gray sofa set with a large flat-screen TV on the wall. A large rug also helps to define the area in an open space floor plan.
21. Sofa Serves as Both a Seating Area and Landing Pad
Contemporary living room features a metal slide that comes down through the ceiling from the second floor. The room also has a large two-way cushioned sofa in the middle of the hardwood flooring that acts as a seating area and a landing pad.
22. Contemporary Living Room Features White-on-White Décor
Contemporary living room area features a massive fireplace facing white-on-white design elements, including a coffee table, area rug, sofa and armchairs.
23. Contemporary Living Room Adds Splashes of Color
Neutral contemporary living room features gray tufted sofas, a patterned area rug, and large TV. Bold color used in the wall art adds a distinctive touch to the room which otherwise has muted tones.
24. Contemporary Living Room Embraces Open Spaces
Massive contemporary white living room space features a tall ceiling, clerestory windows, and a fireplace topped with a TV.
25. Contemporary Living Room Makes Artistic Statement
Minimalist contemporary living room uses natural light, curves, and circular design elements to make a dramatic statement. An elevated entrance adds a distinctive touch to the Hana House.