Vintage furniture — secondhand, upcycled, almost-new — these home furnishings have green credentials that new or high-street furniture don’t. The latter has notoriously 16 times higher carbon footprint per year with an estimated 10 furniture pieces going to waste every year in the UK alone. They also depreciate in value while the antiques are one-of-a-kind.
Vintage furniture has character, a history, and a story to tell. According to a 2016 demographic survey, among the secondhand furniture buyers, seven out of 10 are under 45 years old, almost six out of 10 have under $75,000 household incomes, and almost half live in the cities.
Physical stores selling vintage furniture, however, are becoming rarer as well. It’s a good thing the online market makes the inaccessible accessible in just a few clicks. So if you’re on the digital hunt for these unique oldies but goodies, brace up because we’ve listed down the online shops you need to check out for your vintage fix.
List of Online Vintage Furniture Stores
1. Amazon: Amazon offers vintage furniture, wall art, and related home decor accessories. It’s the largest retailer of online products with a wide selection of vintage items in all price ranges from budget through high end. When you’re looking or any style of furniture in the vintage category, Amazon is an excellent resource to check out first because furniture stores regularly list products on the site and the inventory is consistently changing. Amazon offers a variety of furniture and housewares with filters that make searching for specific items, brands, price ranges, colors, style, and ratings. Amazon sells almost everything imaginable. You can also search by customer ratings and read detailed reviews of each item before you make a purchase.
2. 1st Dibs: This site offers one of the best selections of vintage furniture from famous designers and it’s the equivalent of an online flea market with a seemingly endless inventory of vintage pieces from a variety of antique dealers, galleries, and shops. They sell practically all furniture styles, some jewelry, housewares, and miscellaneous items.
1st Dibs was launched in 2001 and it’s a favorite of Marc Jacobs. Some selections include Adirondack, Aesthetic Movement, American Classical, Art Deco, Baroque, Baroque Revival, British Colonialist, Campaign Furniture, Chinoiserie, Chippendale, Edwardian, Empire, French Provincial, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Grand Tour, Gustavian, Hepplewhite, Hollywood Regency, Industrial, Minimalist, Mid-Century, Modern, Queen Anne, Renaissance Revival, Rococo, Rustic, Spanish Colonial, Victorian, Vienna Secession, and others. The stock is rotating and new items are added consistently.
3. Chairish: Chairish is an online site where designers buy and sell vintage and antique furniture, wall decor and related items. On this site, you can find a huge selection of furniture from 20th Century, Mid-Century, Mid-18th Century, 1920s rustic, and what appears to be an exhaustive inventory of assorted other styles from various time periods. The pieces offered are not remakes that are vintage in style only, they are authentic time period items. If you’re a purist who’s looking for collectible vintage pieces, this website is the equivalent of a gold mine. You can search for specific styles and time periods through the side menu bar that offers a listing to filter your search.
4. Ebay: Ebay is an auction-based retailer that offers everything under the sun. A huge variety of furniture stores and individuals list vintage furniture on this site. Some items are offered in an auction format and you bid against others with the highest bid winning the sale, while others offer a “buy it now” option for immediate purchase. Special tools make it easy to find specific products or items in certain categories with easy to use search bars that allow you to search broad categories or specific items. Sellers are rated by customers and you can read reviews before bidding or making a purchase.
5. Omero: Omero is an online venue that offers a good selection of authentic antique and vintage furnishings and storage solutions that are designed to make a one of a kind statement. They offer furniture for every room in the house, textiles, home accessories, housewares, lighting, flooring and a selection of both indoor/outdoor vintage furnishings. The style listings are extensive and some examples include Americana, antique, art-deco, nautical, country, English, European, Far East, French, African, Mid Century, Machine Age, Mission, Retro, funky, Italian, turn of the century, Victorian, modern and more.
6. Jayson Home: Jayson Home scours the globe for their large collection of vintage and modern style furnishings, along with a huge assortment of home accessories. Their offerings are on the sophisticated side with one of a kind vintage furniture, tableware, books, pillows, lighting, textiles and more, depending on when you visit the site. New offerings come in regularly. If you’re a vintage buff, the site is well worth checking out.
7. One Kings Lane: One Kings Lane is free to join but it is a membership site that requires only your email address. They maintain a focus on vintage style furniture with a big selection of chairs, sofas, tables and area rugs. The site also has a large collection of unique accessories that are useful for completing the look of any room in the house in a vintage style, and this is one of the most highly recommended websites for lovers of all things vintage. They also offer a freestyle consultation service if you would like to schedule a style consultation with their designers, but you have to go to one of their locations for this.
8. Viyet: Viyet is a Sotheby’s Marketplace. Sotheby’s is a prestigious auction house that offers fine collectibles from all time periods, in a wide selection of categories. You can shop by Curator’s pick or use the menu bar to filter your own search. Viyet is a high-end auction that offers a huge selection of vintage and antique furniture to choose from. They offer Americana, Art Deco, Eclectic, Modern, Traditional, Biedermeier, Brutalist, Industrial, Mid-Century Modern, Neoclassical and others. The Viyet site launched in 2013, offering a wide range of high-end vintage and contemporary furniture, lighting and accessories from designers ranging from Holly Hunt, Christian Liaigre and Herman Miller to many other well-known designers. In addition to purchasing vintage pieces, you can also sell your collectibles on this site.
9. Olde Good Things: This online furniture vendor is an architectural salvage company and they offer some of the most amazing altered antiques and one of a kind vintage pieces in the world. They find old pieces, some in good condition and others in need of attention, and either re-purpose the materials or recondition them. Many of the items that they offer have historical value because they are an authentic piece that features the least amount of alterations necessary to make them suitable for inclusion in any showcase home. You can depend on quality and authenticity, and when an item has been altered, you’ll know the extent. This site is a treasure chest for vintage buffs. They offer furniture for every room in the house, but there is so much more to investigate here.
10. Liveauctioneers: This site allows you to browse through their extensive collections of vintage furniture, art and housewares in an auction/bidding platform that makes winning your favorite pieces feel like a huge victory. On any given day, they auction about 45 million items, but it’s easy to find just what you’re looking for with neatly ordered categories. You can find authentic pieces and browse by specific article, style, or designer. Some examples of what you can find here are Art Deco, Chippendale, Federal Style, Mid-Century Modern, Misson Style, Rococo, Queen Anne, Victorian and more. Famous brands including Eames Chairs, Herman Miller, Hans Wegner, Paul Evans, George Nelson, Stickley, Milo Baughman and more are offered.
11. Joss and Main: Joss and Main require a membership to shop from their website, but they offer a huge selection of vintage home furnishings along with unique accessories that may surprise you. The company holds showcases of a variety of home furnishing items they call “events” and getting in on them can give you a discount of up to 70% off of their highlighted items. This is a site that we recommend for anyone who is interested in finding vintage furniture and accessories at discounted prices.
12. Peazz Furniture: Peazz Furniture offers a huge stock of traditional furniture styling with a decent selection of vintage chairs, sofas lamps and more. They sell popular brands including American Heritage, Crosley, Armen Living, UMA Wood Inc. Mttle and others.
13. Etsy: Etsy is offering a huge selection of artisans who hand make vintage style furniture and home decor accessories. If you’re interested in finding handcrafted furniture, or something that is made to order, it’s worth checking out the vendors and businesses selling vintage through Etsy. The Etsy Vintage Furniture category offers items from mid-century and industrial schoolhouse styling.
14. Cost Plus World Market: Cost Plus World Market is an online furniture store that maintains a huge selection of indoor and outdoor furnishings for the home. The overall theme of their furnishings is contemporary, but a quick search for “vintage furniture’ through their online browsing tools brings up a nice assortment of vintage chairs, tables, sofas and home accessories. They offer authentic products that are unique, yet affordable. The site is easy to navigate and searches bring up lists of available items that include high-quality images, prices and complete descriptions.
15. Williams-Sonoma: Williams Sonoma is an online furniture store that offers a variety of furniture styles with a focus on traditional and refined rustic modern. Their vintage collection is substantial and they have furniture for all rooms in the home. The website provides useful search tools that make it easy to find what you’re looking for if they have it in their large database.
16. Rubylane: This site is dedicated to offering vintage only items. It features a huge selection of vintage furniture, art and collectibles for both buyers and sellers. New items arrive daily and the inventory is constantly changing. This is a site that serious vintage collectors and enthusiasts should visit every day.
17. Shop HousingWorks: This site offers a good selection of vintage furniture, along with clothing and miscellaneous items. You can search by category for unique auction items to bid on, but they also offer a selection of Buy It Now items if the auction format is not your preference.
18. Furnish Green: Furnish Green is a Manhattan-based vintage furniture store that is active in hunting for unique pieces in the antique and vintage category. They pay close attention to the quality of the build and condition of each piece so their offerings are solid, in beautiful condition and ready to install as an element in their home decor.
19. AptDeco: AptDeco is a site that is known for carrying Herman Miller and Eames chairs along with BoConcept, West Elm, and Room & Board brands with contemporary and vintage styling. This vendor has the mission of providing high-quality furniture but offering the pieces at reasonable prices. They fall into the category of budget modernist and are worth taking a look at.
20. Lauritz: Lauritz in a global marketplace that features large collections of 20th-century vintage modern original furniture. When you’re looking for authenticity, Lauritz offers the real thing without padding their inventory with knockoffs or lookalike reproductions; they have the real thing.
21. FleaPop: FleaPop is a new site that offers a variety of goods for sale, but it’s also a good place to find unique vintage furniture and accessories. Vendors can set their shops up for free, and it’s like a huge online flea market that you can browse for specific items, categories, time periods, style, or even sell items of your own.
22. Pamono: Pamono is an online furniture store that stocks authentic vintage and contemporary design pieces. The website is easy to navigate and you can browse through a range of items or brands, or type a specific item into the search bar.
23. Modern Relik: Modern Relik is an online home furnishings store that offers a mixture of avant-garde, classic and modern styling. Here you can find a decent selection of vintage offerings in a mixed bag of styling. The curators search the world to find vintage treasures in furniture, art, lighting and accessories.
24. Wisteria: This online store offers a quaint selection of one of a kind pieces in their vintage collection. The owners are known for their passion for traveling the world to find unique pieces to add to their collection. Their philosophy is that the furniture and accessories that embellish a home should each have a story to tell and their collections are in line with their beliefs that each piece should be unique.
25. Krrb: The Krrb website offers a unique experience that everyone should try at least once. They offer the service of connecting locals with interest in vintage furniture with one another so people can come together and meet to sell, purchase or trade unique items. It also offers a way for people with like interests to meet and network with others that have similar interests.
26. Proxibid: Proxibid is an online auction site that offers a variety of vintage items, but there is no way to tell what you’re going to find on any given day. They also offer livestock, firearms and other items, but Proxibid is worth investigating because you can find some great vintage collectibles, often for reasonable bid prices.
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.