If you live in an Arts & Crafts or Victorian Era home, there’s a good chance you have exposed wood beams in your living room ceiling. Living room designs featuring exposed beams are not uncommon in Rustic, Cottage-Style, Chalet, or Craftsman living rooms, but the ceiling idea can actually work with almost any style, including the most current configurations.
Below is a curated photo gallery of some living room ceiling ideas for spaces with exposed beams.
1. Rustic Living Room Design Incorporates Exposed Beams
Rustic modern formal living room space with white walls and hardwood flooring features a brick-style fireplace and massive chandelier light fixture. The exposed beams in the ceiling design add even more charm to the rustic theme.
2. Exposed Beams Stay Flush with Wooden Ceiling
3. Craftsman-Style Living Room Presents Classic Design
Large formal craftsman-style living room features a ceiling with exposed beams, hardwood floors, area rugs, and a fireplace. Coffered ceilings, when introduced as decorating ideas in the “fifth wall,” can add character and spaciousness.
4. Exposed Beam Design Used in Sloped High Ceiling
Living Room space features a cozy sofa set and a rustic center table set on a stylish rug. The space also includes a high-sloped ceiling with exposed beams.
5. Exposed Beam Ceiling Works Well with Eclectic Living Room Design
Spacious living room features a brick fireplace accent wall, a blue area rug, and a wooden shed ceiling with exposed beams.
6. Three-Sided Brick Fireplace Extends through Exposed Beam Ceiling
Large formal living room features carpet flooring, a plush leather sofa , and a chair with a brick three-sided fireplace. The high, sloped wood ceiling has exposed beams with sets of large windows bringing in plenty of natural light.
7. Massive Great Room Features Exposed Beams in Ceiling
Modern living space features a white sofa set, TV console, area rug, pendant lighting , and standalone fireplace, all within a massive great room. The eclectic space also includes a dining area, pendant lighting, large picture windows , and exposed beams in a cathedral ceiling.
8. Exposed Beams Flush with High Ceiling
Formal living room features dark hardwood floors with lighter tones on the walls and ceiling. Exposed beams are flush with the high, two-story ceiling. The space also includes a widescreen TV over a stone fireplace and plenty of natural light from large windows.
9. Vaulted Ceiling Design Uses Exposed Beams in Grand Great Room
Huge great room features a formal living room set with an area rug over the dark hardwood flooring. The space also includes a stone fireplace and a tall vaulted ceiling with exposed beams.
10. Transitional Space Combines Classic and Rustic Design Elements
Formal living room features a massive fireplace, hardwood patterned flooring, large picture windows , and ornate furniture. The wooden vaulted ceiling treatment includes rustic exposed beams contrasting with the classical furnishings. Ceiling design ideas can help to bridge different stylistic elements.
11. Natural Light Streams in from Patio to White Great Room
Natural light streams into a white great room featuring a modern sofa set facing French doors opening onto an outdoor patio. The space also includes a kitchen with a breakfast bar, hardwood flooring , and exposed wooden beams in a sloped ceiling.
12. Exposed Beams Used in Tandem with Shed Ceiling
Formal living room features a modish living room set, fireplace , and a shed ceiling with exposed beams.
13. Elegant Great Room Features Cathedral Ceiling with Rustic Exposed Beams
Spacious formal living room features an exposed beam ceiling with an elegant seating arrangement and a large area rug near the fireplace.
14. Thoroughly Modern Great Room Features Glossy Black Exposed Beams
Modern great room features hardwood floors, a white L-shaped sofa set, a long, rectangular coffee table, and a loft in a combined living room and dining area. Design ideas for the cathedral ceiling include skylights and exposed beams in a glossy black color that matches some of the furnishings.
15. Exposed Beams Tie In Living Room and Dining Area
Great room features modish living room furnishings with a wall of windows that look out over a rolling hills landscape. The space also includes a round dining table set and a kitchen area with exposed beams in the ceiling.
16. Exposed Beams Lie Flush with Wooden Slat Ceiling
Modern formal living room features a fireplace, plush chairs, a long bench with cushions and white area rug covering black tile flooring. Dark gray exposed beams lie flush with the wooden slat ceiling.
- Designed by: Hughes Umbanhowar Architects
17. Exposed Beam Ceiling Showcases Room’s Extensive Wood Craftsmanship
Formal living room features a modern sofa set surrounded by white walls and ceiling with large exposed beams. The space also includes hardwood flooring, a fireplace, and a built-in wooden console that extends along an entire wall. Natural light streams in through glass doors.
- Designed by: Barrett Studio Architects
18. Exposed Beams Add Rustic Touch to Great Room
Spacious great room features hardwood floors, comfy furniture, a modish wood fireplace, and an adjacent dining area with brick wall. The ceiling includes thick, exposed beams with skylights and windows, letting in plenty of natural light. Ceiling designs, such as this rustic treatment, give the interior designer plenty of content and ideas to work with.
- Designed by: Rover Building Company
19. Exposed Beams Lie Flush with Living Room Ceiling
Formal living room features plush furniture and a large area rug with natural lighting streaming in through windows. Exposed beams lie flush with the ceiling.
- Designed by: Andrew Howard Interior Design
20. Modern Living Room Design Features Exposed Beams in Ceiling
Modern living room features a white sofa set on a blue area rug covering hardwood flooring. The large space also includes an extensive art collection, widescreen TV over a gas fireplace, and a ceiling with exposed beams.
- Photo by: Brady Architectural Photography
21. Vaulted Ceiling Uses Exposed Beams as Design Feature
Vaulted ceiling in the living room features exposed beams, a fireplace with bookshelves sharing one wall, and a white sofa set. Glass doors along one wall let in plenty of natural light.
22. Modern Living Room Uses Exposed Beams in Cathedral Ceiling
Large, rustic living room features a billiards pool and bar area, plush seating, and a stone fireplace wall. Exposed beams are used throughout the entire ceiling design.
- Image Source: Zillow Digs / Photos by Jim Bartsch.