If you are trying to eat healthier, you may be dismayed by the additives included in items that are advertised as "whole wheat." When you learn to make our Whole Wheat Vegan Tortillas, you have control of the ingredients list and can make delicious and nutritious tortillas.
With a fresh, nutty taste, our recipe for Whole Wheat Vegan Tortillas is delicious and free from any preservatives or unnecessary ingredients. If you are hoping to clean up your diet and want to know what is in your food, this recipe can give you a great substitution for commercially produced Whole Wheat Tortillas.
Whole Wheat Vegan Tortillas Recipe
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- Pastry blender
- Large Cast Iron Skillet
- Rolling Pin
- Dinner Plate
- Gallon-sized zip-top bag
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup warm water
- Put the whole wheat flour into a medium-sized bowl and add the salt, stirring to combine.
- Drizzle the oil into the mixture and begin mixing it together. You may want to use a pastry blender or a fork.
- Slowly pour the water into the mixture and continue stirring until the mixture is smooth. You will eventually need to gather the mixture into your hands and mix it with your hands, kneading it.
- After three to five minutes, the dough will form a ball that is smooth and elastic. Flatten the ball a bit by pressing with your hands.
- Put the flattened ball on a lightly floured surface and cover it with the upside-down mixing bowl.
- Let the dough rest for at least 15 minutes or for up to an hour. This helps the gluten form in the dough, making it easier to roll out.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or a griddle on the stovetop over medium heat. Spray it with a bit of cooking spray or wipe it down with a paper towel dipped in olive oil.
- Divide the dough into six equal pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough into a circle that is 8 to 10 inches in diameter. If you like, you may want to use a dinner plate or even a lid for a round plastic dish to help guide you in keeping your tortillas symmetrical.
- Put each tortilla into the heated skillet. You will only need to cook them for about 30 seconds per side before flipping them over to cook the reverse side. It’s probably best if you roll out all of your tortillas before you begin cooking them since they cook so quickly.
- Remove each cooked tortilla to a clean plate, stacking them one on top of the other.
- Store tortillas in a gallon-sized zip-top bag in the freezer if you don’t plan on eating them right away. They will stay fresh for up to three days.
Related: Vegan Tortilla Recipes