Featuring large chunks of chicken, hearty cannellini beans, and filling lasagna noodles, our recipe for White Chicken Lasagna soup is one of those soups that are filling as well as delicious. Even those who do not care for soup as a meal will find themselves satisfied with this substantial soup.
The ingredients list for this recipe is long, and you might be a bit intimidated by it. Don’t allow that list to overwhelm you! Other than chopping veggies, the whole of this recipe can be prepared in a single pot, and you are basically dumping things in, one right after the other. The only equipment that you will need is some measuring cups and spoons, a large Dutch oven, a sharp knife and cutting board, a wire whisk, and a soup ladle.
White Chicken Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Dutch Oven
- Jar with a Lid
- Soup Pot
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Oinion Powder
- 2 pcs Carrots peeled and diced
- 1 pc Green Bell Pepper diced
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- ½ cup Flour
- 8 cups Chicken Broth divided
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 15 ounces Rinsed and Drained Cannellini Beans from a can
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- ½ teaspoon Dried Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 6 pcs Uncooked Lasagna Noodles
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 2 cups Spinach tightly packed into a measuring cup and torn into small bits
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat one tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil sizzles when you flick a drop of water into the pot, it is hot enough.
- Add the chopped chicken and cook it, stirring it until it is slightly browned all over about five minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and set it aside for now.
- Melt the butter in the pot, adding the remainder of the oil too. Put the carrots in the hot oil and cook them for three to five minutes, stirring them frequently.
- Add the peppers and the garlic, cooking these together with the carrots for another minute or so, stirring frequently.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the flour to the veggie and butter mixture, cooking while constantly stirring for about one or two minutes. The flour will thicken as it cooks, but don’t let it brown.
- Set the stove temperature to low, and add seven cups of chicken broth, whisking to smooth the broth.
- Measure out one more cup of broth into a jar with a lid. Add the cornstarch to the broth, cap the jar with the lid, and shake to blend it. Pour this mixture into the soup pot.
- Add the chicken, beans, and the rest of the seasonings.
- Bring the broth to a boil over medium heat. Break the lasagna noodles into pieces that are 2 or 3 inches long. Then, break these chunks in half to make squares. Stir the noodles into the boiling pot of soup and let them boil for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, stir in the spinach, and let the soup simmer covered with a tightly fitting lid for another 15 minutes. Stir the soup every five minutes or so to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the half and half and the Parmesan cheese. Heat the soup through, stirring frequently, and serve in large bowls.