Snapdragons or Dragon flowers are tall colorful flowers that come in every color of the rainbow. They make excellent cut flowers and garden borders.
Snapdragons belong to the Plantaginaceae family, the family of plantains, and have about 40 species. They are so-called because they resemble a dragon’s face and that of a mouth as it opens and closes when the flowers are pressed on their sides. Its scientific name Antirrhinum is a Latin word for “counterfeiting nose” or “like a snout.”
Interestingly, these flowers are known as “Rabbit’s lips” in Asia and “Lion’s lips” in Holland. Native to the rocky areas of Europe, the U.S., and North Africa, snapdragons have been cultivated since the 1700s. They also played a part in folklore as people believed these flowers offered protection from witchcraft.
The Aroma Series consist of blooms of massive quantities and extra-strong stems. They bloom earlier than many other snapdragons, and they can be as tall as 30 inches. They also get up to 14 inches wide and look beautiful in vases and basic landscapes. Their colors include:
- Hybrid French Vanilla – fragrant, white blooms
- Hybrid Fresh Lemon – beautiful lemon-yellow petals
- Hybrid Magenta Mist – beautiful and fragrant magenta colors
- Hybrid Peach Breeze – shades of yellow and tangerine
- Hybrid Red Spice – eye-catching, bright-red blooms
Candy Showers Mix
A trailing snapdragon with sturdy stems and full, dense growth, the flowers come in colors such as deep-purple, red, orange, yellow, rose, and white. With a spread of up to 18 inches in width and up to 8 inches high, they are beautiful in hanging baskets and containers. You can even use the flowers as a groundcover.
With vigorous, hardy blooms and stems, and butterfly-shaped petals that are lightly scented, these flowers get up to 40 inches long and look great in vases and in the garden. If you plant them in large masses of many different Chantilly flowers, they are quite eye-catching and memorable. They are also available in colors such as:
- Chantilly Bronze – a beautiful bronze color with light centers
- Chantilly Cream Yellow – butter-yellow petals that bloom into a cream color
- Chantilly Deep Orange – bright, dark-orange in color
- Chantilly Light Pink – beautiful light-pink petals with yellow centers
- Chantilly Light Salmon – soft orange-salmon in color; can grow more than 4 feet high
- Chantilly Mix – a mixture of all of the Chantilly colors
- Chantilly Pink – medium- to dark-pink in color and white centers
- Chantilly Velvet – velvety red blossoms that get up to 54 inches high
- Chantilly White – come in bright-white with yellow centers
- Chantilly Yellow – bright-yellow, cheery petals
These flowers bloom in Spring and Summer in areas that stay relatively cool, and in the Winter and Spring in areas with warm winters and hot summers. They come in a variety of colors, and they look great in containers, raised beds, and as borders. The dwarfs are only around 8 inches high and include varieties such as Floral Carpet, Floral Showers, Magic Carpet, Royal Carpet, and Tom Thumb. The tallest of the dwarf family is the Tahiti snapdragons, which are resistant to rust and come in 4 colors, including some multi-colored varieties.
These are extra-dwarf, heat-resistant, and bloom heavily up to 8 inches in height. They exhibit brilliant flowers that can be up to 3 inches in width. Their colors include:
- Mix – 3-inch spikes and colors such as deep bronze, coral, lavender, purple, wine, and dozens of others, including many multi-colored petals
- Purple – deep-purple in color
- Red and Yellow – blooms of bright red and bright yellow
With unusual ivory and green foliage, the petals are variegated in colors that include rose, red, pink, bright-red, cream, yellow, and several multi-colored varieties. Perfect for containers and borders, the flower has won several flower awards and has dense, full-looking blooms that are sure to be eye-catchers.
Growing up to roughly 20 inches in height, these flowers include the Liberty series, which bloom early in a more traditional-looking fashion; and Sonnet Snapdragons, which are available in 7 different colors, including the Black Prince, which has dark-purple leaves and deep-red flowers.
Liberty Classic Mix
These are showy flowers that get up to 22 inches high, and they are easy to grow and maintain. Their colors include lavender, pink, red, yellow, and bronze, to name a few, and they make striking vertical accents. They produce massive blooms and look great with other tall flowers.
These are breath-taking flowers that get up to 2 feet in height. They come in multi-colored petals of white, deep-rose, and red. They look beautiful in vases and have won numerous international flower awards. Truly eye-catching and striking, Lucky Lips also looks great in borders and beds.
Beautiful as cut flowers, in part because they grow up to 2 feet high, these flowers come in a mixture of colors such as red, lavender, purple, pink, yellow, orange, and white. They have won several international flower awards, and the mix of these colors makes them truly spectacular-looking.
Night and Day
With bi-color flowers in white and crimson red, both the petals and foliage turn to near black when the weather cools. The Night and Day is a striking flower that grows up to 18 inches high and up to 2 feet wide, making it a truly lovely focal point.
With plants that grow up to 8 inches high, they bloom earlier and longer than many other types of snapdragons. They are vigorous and uniform in size and shape, and their colors include orange, yellow, violet, red, and rose-pink, among others.
With a height of up to 3 feet, the Rocket Mix snapdragons come in colors such as bronze, yellow, white, lemon, pink, red, and rose. They also come in many different shades of these colors, and they are beautiful as cut flowers and in patio containers. They always have a dense, full look, making them an extremely popular choice for snapdragon-lovers.
With long, strong spikes and petals that are bright-white with a dash of cream at the base, the Royal Bride grows up to 3 feet tall and has a wonderful fragrance. It has deep-green foliage and looks great in vases, borders, garden beds, and gardens with exclusively white flowers.
These flowers get up to 2 feet in high and come in colors such as:
- Sonnet Crimson – a dark-red that is truly stunning
- Sonnet Pink – petals that come in a bubblegum-pink color
- Sonnet Yellow – bright yellow and showy
These snapdragons make dramatic, eye-catching vertical accents for borders, beds, and other places. They look perfect in vases and often have a sweet, pleasing aroma. In areas with cool, pleasant summers, the flowers bloom in Spring and Summer; and in areas with hot summers and mild winters, they bloom in Winter and Spring. Varieties include Axion, which comes in 7 different colors; Bright Butterflies, available in 8 different colors; Double Supreme Snapdragons, which come in numerous colors and shades; Madame Butterfly, available in 8 colors; and Rock Snapdragons, also available in 8 colors.
These are perfect for hanging baskets and come in varieties that include the Chandelier, which is quite stunning and comes in lilac, pink, and yellow; the Lampion, available in 6 different colors; and the Luminaire, which is tolerated to heat and can get up to 1 foot in height.
Twinny snapdragons produce double, butterfly-like petals that are unusually large and beautifully colored. They grow up to 12 inches high and look handsome in color bowls, the landscape, and in raised beds. They include colors such as:
- Appleblossom – pastel shades of cream, pink, and white
- Bronze Shades – striking colors of pink, orange, and rose
- Peach – lovely blends of light-orange, peach, and lemon-yellow
- Rose – shades of soft rose and pink
- White – beautiful vanilla flowers topped with a zesty lemon color
- Yellow Shades – blends of gold, yellow, and apricot
Things to Keep in Mind When Planting Snapdragons
- If you want to condition your cut flowers, take a bowl or pitcher of water with you to the garden, and place the flowers in the water as soon as you cut them. If you do this and cut the stems at an angle, your cut flowers will last a lot longer.
- If you live in a windy area or have decided to plant tall snapdragons, it is a good idea to stake the flowers to guard against breakage.
- As a general rule, snapdragons are deer-resistant; however, if you have a lot of deer around and little food, they may occasionally eat some of the plants.
- Snapdragons have to have light in order to germinate, so if you press the seeds into the soil without burying them, cover them with a clear plastic cover, and keep them wet and moist, they should have no problems sprouting.
- Snapdragons are notorious for attracting certain insects and other animals to your garden, including butterflies, bees, and even hummingbirds, giving you one more reason to plant these eye-catching flowers.
To Complement Your Snapdragons, Plant Them with the Following Plants
- Sweet Alyssum
Things That All Snapdragons Have in Common
- They work best in zones 7-10 and are herbaceous perennials.
- They grow up to 3 feet high and have a spread of up to 1 foot.
- They bloom from April until the first frost.
- They prefer full sun, soil with medium water, and they can be treated as annuals.
- They attract hummingbirds and butterflies.
- They are resistant to deer.
- Their bloom colors include pink, red, yellow, white, purple, orange, and peach, as well as many bi-colored blooms.
- They are native to China and the United States.
- They are perfect for garden beds, borders, window boxes, containers, and edgings, and many of them also look spectacular in hanging baskets as well.
- Because of its tubular, dragon-shaped, two-lipped, closed flowers, it was named the Snapdragon very long ago. In addition, its leaves are normally lance-shaped, glossy, and dark-green in color, and they can grow up to 3 inches in size.
- If you squeeze and release the back of the flowers, they will open and close for you.
- In some parts of the world, they are known as Dragon Flowers and Dog’s Mouth.
- If you dry the leaves and flowers, you can make poultices and even teas for certain health benefits.
Health Benefits of Snapdragons
Relieves hemorrhoids or “piles.”
Because of its anti-inflammatory capabilities, the snapdragon can increase blood circulation, which reduces the pain and swelling of inflamed blood vessels especially in the anal region.
Good for minor burns
This includes any type of burn, including sunburn. Simply place the poultice on the burn and let it work its magic. It relieves the throbbing pain that often comes with burns, and cools down the skin as well.
Prevents skin infections
Because the leaves and flowers of the snapdragon have astringent properties, you can use a concoction or poultice with them in it to promote the healing of various wounds. To make it even better, their anti-inflammatory aspect reduces the pain that comes with the wound.
Detoxifies the blood
Snapdragons can be consumed as a tea in order to increase urine production, which cleanses the blood and removes both waste products and the poisonous substances that have built up in the blood. Because it has diuretic properties, the snapdragon also helps lower your blood pressure.
Treatment of abscesses and boils
Because it is both anti-inflammatory and makes a great astringent, you can use snapdragon poultices to manage boils and abscesses. Continuing to use it also helps you ward off the complications often associated with abscesses and boils, and since many of these complications can be quite serious, this is a huge benefit of using snapdragons.
Purification of the liver
Since the liver accumulates a lot of nasty ingredients and bi-products, it is good to flush it out every now and then. Drinking snapdragon tea can help you do this, and it can also break down fat and neutralize poisons in the liver, enabling it to be cleaner and healthier.
Snapdragon tea can be used, or you can use the poultice and place it on your head, both of which can reduce fever and lower the temperature of your body.
Relieves urinary tract infections
UTIs can be very painful, and because of its anti-diuretic properties, snapdragon can flush out the bacteria in your urinary system and even increase urine production, both of which can help you get rid of your UTI a lot faster.