Carpet cleaning and vacuuming might top the list of most dreaded household chores. Carpets receive lots of abuse from shoes, pets, and spills. Here we share the best types of carpet cleaners and essential steps to clean your carpets.
Carpet cleaners use specific cleaning solutions and powerful brushes to deep clean dirty carpets, lifting grime away. The best carpet cleaners are BISSELL Pro Heat 2X Revolution, BISSELL Big Green Professional Carpet Cleaner, Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe, and Hoover Power Dash Pet carpet cleaner.
This article offers advice on the best types of carpet cleaners that will help make cleaning your carpets easier and keep them cleaner longer.
What is a Carpet Cleaner?
Most vacuum cleaners will get rid of dust and grime from your home; however, a carpet cleaner promises to do more.
Some marks and stains simply can’t be removed by regular vacuuming. While steam cleaners can refresh your carpets, a dedicated carpet cleaner is needed with specifically formulated solutions to eliminate tough stains and get rid of persistent smells.
Carpet cleaners use cleaning solutions and powerful brushes to clean carpets. Carpet cleaners restore your carpets, leaving them looking refreshed and smelling fresh.
Carpet cleaners operate by having a clean and dirty tank. The water and cleaning solution is stored in the clean tank. This cleaning solution is sprayed onto the carpet and then sucked into the dirty tank when you pull the trigger.
Types of Carpet Cleaning Techniques
Here we explain a few Carpet Cleaning Techniques that most carpet cleaning companies use to clean your carpets.
Dry Powder Cleaning
The dry powder cleaning technique is called the host system. A soft, natural cleaning solution is mixed with a small amount of water and a safe-to-use solvent. This mixture is sprinkled onto your carpet, creating lumps that look like pieces of sawdust. These lumps act like micro-sponges that dissolve and absorb dirt. The lumps are vacuumed later to reveal a cleaner carpet.
The dry powder technique is not considered as deep cleaning as it just removes dirt from the top layers of your carpet. This cleaning method is a maintenance cleaning method for commercial use.
The carpet is vacuumed before applying an encapsulating chemical. A rotating agitation machine is placed on it using the encapsulation cleaning methods, which allows the encapsulating chemical to absorb and isolate the grime on the carpet, which can easily be vacuumed up. This cleaning method is quick and easy.
The encapsulation cleaning method is a low-moisture system that allows carpets to be replaced into use quickly. This method is recommended as a maintenance-cleaning method for commercial use. It is perfect for maintaining the surface of high foot traffic carpets like in hotels.
This cleaning method is called Dry Cleaning by some companies. However, this is not a dry-cleaning process but a low moisture cleaning method. Only the carpet’s surface is cleaned, allowing the carpet to dry within 30 minutes.
With the Bonnet Cleaning method, self-neutralizing detergent is sprayed into the carpet and then scrubbed with a rotary scrubber with a dry cotton bonnet pad. This cleaning technique is suitable for commercial use as a maintenance method. This cleaning method gives the surface of the carpet a clean appearance quickly.
Hot Water Extraction
The hot water extraction cleaning method involves a combination of hot water mixed with cleaning solutions sprayed into the carpet at high pressure to loosen the grime, dirt, and stains. Most hot water extraction carpet machines usually have two tanks.
They have a solution tank to hold the clean water and cleaning solution and a recovery tank where all the dirty water is extracted. A powerful vacuum extracts the dirty water and grime from the carpet. This cleaning method is an effective deep-cleaning technique for commercial and domestic removal of dirt deep into the carpet fibers.
Professional Steam Cleaning
Steam is expelled at high temperatures and high pressure to eliminate bacteria, odor, and dust mites with the professional steam cleaning method. This cleaning method works well to remove dirt, mold and smells from carpets. It also considerably improves their appearance. This deep-cleaning technique is excellent for both domestic and commercial use.
When requesting a deep cleaning for your carpets from a commercial carpet cleaning company, a technician can recommend your carpets’ best cleaning method.
How Often Should a Carpet be Cleaned?
You should vacuum them once per week if you have wall-to-wall carpets or just area rugs. It is good to vacuum the carpets more frequently if you have kids or pets. Stains and spills should be cleaned as quickly as possible. You should hire a professional carpet cleaning company or clean your carpets at least twice per year.
How Much Does a Good Carpet Cleaner Cost?
Good carpet cleaners can cost anywhere between $100 to $300. The initial cost can be high, but it will save you a lot of hassle and time. Top carpet cleaner brands like Vax, Bissell and Rug Doctor, and Russel Hobs are very affordable.
If you don’t want to buy a carpet cleaning machine, you can always hire a professional cleaning company to deep clean your carpets. This can cost you around $200. Another option is to hire a carpet cleaner for the day and do it yourself. Companies can charge around $20 a day with a little extra added for the cleaning solution.
Best Types of Carpet Cleaners
- Bissell Pro Heat Double Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro full-size carpet cleaner with antibacterial formula with 3-inch bonus tough stain tool.
- BISSELL Pro Heat Double Revolution Pet full-size upright carpet cleaner – 1548F – Orange.
- Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe carpet cleaner machine – FH50150 – Red.
- Hoover Power Dash Pet Compact carpet cleaner, lightweight – FH50700 – Blue.
- BISSELL Turbo Clean Power Brush Pet carpet cleaner – 2987.
- BISSELL Big Green Professional carpet cleaner.
Bissell Pro Heat Double Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro Full-Size Carpet Cleaner, with Antibacterial Formula and a 3-inch Bonus Tough Stain Tool
There isn’t much we don’t like about this carpet cleaner. This carpet cleaner’s performance was excellent.
- Every Purchase on Bissell items Saves Pets. Bissell proudly supports the Bissell Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets in the USA.
- This carpet cleaner is a powerful cleaning system for the toughest pet odors and stains.
- Its MAX clean mode is excellent that has 12 rows of rotating dual grime lifting power brushes that deliver professional-grade cleaning to remove embedded dirt, odors, and stains.
- It can deliver dry carpets in 30 minutes.
- The Bissell gets rid of the toughest stains. Conveniently use the clean shot pre-treater to spray a concentrated stream of cleaning solution where necessary.
- It offers a lightweight design with a low profile, making it easy to maneuver around furniture.
- The included 3- inch stain tool quickly removes odor, stains, and pet hair from upholstery.
- It is affordably priced at $283.18.
- The Bissell Pro Heat Double Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro full-size carpet cleaner with antibacterial formula can be found at Amazon Store – BISSELL
BISSELL Pro Heat Double Revolution Pet Full Size Upright Carpet Cleaner – 1548F – Orange
- Buying any Bissell product allows the company to donate $10 to the Bissell pet foundation for each purchase.
- This carpet cleaner is the leading rental for carpet cleaning machines. It is lightweight, making use and maneuvering effortlessly around the home.
- The max carpet cleaner features 12 rows of dirt lifting power brushes that deliver professional high-grade cleaning to remove tough stains, odors, and dirt.
- This carpet cleaner offers the fastest dry time, under 30 minutes.
- You quickly see professional cleaning results with Bissell’s professional carpet cleaner.
- The carpet cleaner features a seven-foot hose and spot cleaning attachments for cleaning stairs, upholstery, and pet beds.
- It is budget-friendly, priced at $219.99.
- The BISSELL Pro Heat Double Revolution upright carpet cleaner can be found at Amazon Store – BISSELL
Hoover Power Scrub Carpet Cleaner Deluxe and Upright Shampooer – FH50150 – Red
- The Hoover power scrub carpet cleaner offers deep cleaning with powerful spin scrub brushes that remove tough stains and dirt. The 360-degree brushes and powerful suction allow deep cleaning while gentle on your carpets.
- The Hoover power scrub carpet cleaner offers faster drying so your carpets can be used quickly.
- Its lightweight allows easy pickup and goes wherever the mess is.
- The dual V nozzle provides a deep clean.
- It includes an 8 ft hose to deep clean hard-to-reach places, an upholstery tool, stair tool, crevice tool, and a bottle of carpet cleaning shampoo.
- It is budget-friendly, priced at $212.50.
- The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe carpet cleaner and upright shampooer can be found online at Amazon Store – Hoover
Hoover Lightweight Power Dash Pet Compact Carpet Cleaner – FH50700 – Blue
- The Hoover power dash carpet cleaner is easy to use around the house with its lightweight and compact design.
- It offers high-grade professional cleaning, perfect for tough stains and pet spills.
- The Hoover power dash carpet cleaner offers faster drying, so your carpets are ready more quickly.
- The bonus Hoover Nozzle cleanout tool and trial size shampoo are included.
- The Hoover Power Dash carpet cleaner is priced at a budget-friendly $89.99.
- The Hoover Power Dash compact carpet cleaner model number FH50700 can be found at Amazon Store – Hoover
BISSELL Turbo Clean Power Brush Pet Carpet Cleaner – 2987
- Every BISSELL purchase help pets. BISSELL proudly supports the BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help homeless pets.
- The four-row deep-reaching power brushes lift odors, dirt, and stains that regular vacuuming leaves behind.
- The BISSELL power brush carpet cleaner is tough enough for the most embedded pet mishaps and stains. It is perfect for high traffic areas, small spaces, and area rugs in high traffic areas.
- This carpet cleaner is powerful and lightweight, making cleaning easy and convenient.
- The double tank technology is easy to fill, empty, and remove.
- The removable nozzle allows easy maintenance and cleaning of your machine.
- The BISSELL turbo clean power brush carpet cleaner is priced at $113.29.
- The BISSELL Turbo Clean power brush carpet cleaner – 2987 can be found online at Amazon Store – BISSELL
BISSELL Big Green Professional Carpet Cleaner
- BISSELL company actively sponsors the BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to save homeless pets with each product purchase.
- The Big Green professional carpet cleaner is top of the range and out-cleansing the leading rental carpet cleaners. With this carpet cleaner, you achieve professional-grade cleaning results with ease.
- The extra-large dirt lifting power brushes feature eight rows to penetrate carpet fibers to loosen and lift the toughest stains and dirt.
- It features a 9-inch-long reach hose and a 6-inch formidable stain cleaning tool to easily clean upholstery, hard-to-reach places, and stairs.
- For best results, use BISSELL PRO MAX shampoo to get rid of the toughest dirt, stains, and odors.
- The two large tanks keep clean and dirty water separate while cleaning.
- The adjustable handle makes selecting the correct height comfortably.
- The big green carpet cleaner is on the high end of the price scale but worth the professional service it provides. It is priced at $411.59.
- The BISSELL Big Green Professional carpet cleaner can be found online at Amazone Store BISSELL
Best Carpet Cleaning Companies
- Coit: Best overall. All Coit’s specialty technicians are trained in IICRC cleaning methods, certified, and have undergone a background check.
- Green Choice Carpet: Best budget. You can choose a deeper clean with carpet shampooing or other heavy-duty treatment options.
- Stanley Steemer: Best for allergies. This company removes 94% of the most common household allergens.
- Chem-Dry: Best Fast-Drying. Chem-Dry has a hot, carbonating extraction process that uses 80 % less water than conventional carpet steam cleaning.
- Cintas: Best for Commercial Carpeting. Ask for a quote because square footage and the frequency of cleaning requested can impact the cost.
- Oxi-Fresh Carpet Cleaning: Best Eco-Friendly. Knowing that your carpet cleaning process reduces water consumption, you can feel at ease with a low water-usage rate.
- USA Clean Master: Best for Pet Stains. USA Clean Master offers comprehensive carpet care and a pet package targeting your furry friend’s house-training mistakes.
- SERVPRO: Best for Emergencies. SERVPRO is an ideal clean-up solution if you’ve had a flood or smoke damage, or another home emergency.
Best Carpet Cleaning Solutions
Bissell 4 X Deep Cleaning Pro Concentrated Carpet Shampoo available in 48 fluid ounces – Silver packaging – 78H63
- Carpet cleaning brand: Bissell.
- Bissell 48-ounce PRO MAX Clean and Protect Upright Carpet Cleaning Formula.
- Surface use for carpets and upholstery.
- This product is available in hefty 48 fluid ounces.
- This powerful formula is excellent for tough, embedded stains and dirt.
- It is safe for use on area rugs, upholstery, and carpets.
- It removes tough odors cleanly.
- It is perfect for heavily soiled areas, tough odors, and stains.
- This shampoo is produced for upright carpet cleaners.
- The shampoo contains no heavy metals, dyes, or phosphates and is biodegradable.
- It is entirely safe to use around children and pets when used as directed.
- It is Priced at $31.04.
- Bissell Deep Clean Pro 4 X Deep Cleaning concentrated carpet shampoo, available in 48 ounces, can be found online at Amazon Store – BISSELL
Carpet Miracle – Carpet Cleaning solution and shampoo for machines. Deep stain remover for area rugs, upholstery, and carpets. The concentrated natural solution is available in 32FL OZ.
- Carpet Miracle shampoo is ideal for area rugs, pet beds, upholstery, and carpets.
- Brand name – Sunny and Honey.
- It is available in a fresh spring mint scent.
- Carpet Miracle performs excellently on heavily soiled carpets, offering a clean, soft look and fresh smell.
- The natural cleaning carpet miracle shampoo was manufactured with children and pets in mind. The non-toxic, biodegradable, and essential oil scented carpet shampoo is Leaping Bunny Certified and has not been tested on animals.
- Carpet Miracle comes in a small bottle because it is concentrated, offering great value.
- It is suitable for all carpet cleaning machines and works well with brands like Kenmore, Bissell, McCulloch, Hoover, Rug Doctor, and Carpet Express. It is perfect for rented machines from Lowe’s, Home Depot, Walmart, and ACE. Additionally, this shampoo can be used in steam cleaners.
- It is priced at $19.97.
- Carpet Cleaning Miracle Shampoo can be found online at Amazon Store – Sunny Honey
Nature’s Miracle Carpet Shampoo Deep-Cleaning Stain and Odor Solution – 64 ounces
- Nature’s Miracle Deep Cleaning Pet Stain and odor carpet Shampoo is available in 64 ounces.
- It is recommended for carpets and upholstery.
- The low-foaming formula is ideal for water-based carpet cleaning machines or steam cleaners.
- This shampoo reaches into carpet fibers deeply to get rid of the toughest odors and stains.
- Nature’s Miracle carpet shampoo features bio-enzymatic odor removing technology for professional odor and stain cleaning.
- Nature’s Miracle carpet shampoo is reasonably priced at $7.99.
- Nature’s Miracle Carpet Shampoo deep-cleaning odor and stain shampoo can be found at Amazone Store – Nature Miracle
How to Do a DIY Carpet Cleaning
- Spray bottle
- Oscillating fan
- Microfiber cloth
- Scrubbing brush with hard-bristled brushes
- Clothes steamer
- Cleaning towels or cloths
- Steaming mop
- Baking soda
- Carpet cleaning solution
Remove Dirt and Dust
Allowing dirt and dust to remain on your carpet causes it to retain odors and look dull. It also, over time, wears out carpet fibers. Use a strong vacuum cleaner to maintain clean carpets.
Some tips for routine carpet cleaning:
- A thorough vacuum is necessary to remove dust and dirt.
- Move the furniture and other items off the carpet.
- Make sure your vacuum is set correctly to get the best suction.
- Make sure you vacuum diligently and intensely over high-traffic places several times.
- You can use a rubber squeegee over your carpet to collect pet hair left over.
- It is recommended to sprinkle and freshen your carpet with baking soda every other month. Let the baking soda sit for an hour to absorb odors and oily stains, and then vacuum it up.
A carpet stain should be treated immediately; blot the spill with a paper towel or cloth for liquid spills. Make sure you don’t use a napkin or cloth or that it is not colorfast; it might stain your carpet.
Embedded stains like mud or dropped food should be scraped with the edge of a dull knife to remove any debris. Rubbing a stain or spill that contains solids will push particles deeper into the fibers embedding the stain. Follow the recommendations on a stain removal chart to remove specific stains after the first clean-up.
How to Deep Clean Carpets Yourself
Always start cleaning by vacuuming the carpets to remove dirt, dust, and debris. You could just push grime deeper into the carpet fibers if you don’t do this.
Eventually, all carpets need to be deep cleaned to get rid of embedded dirt, brighten the color and restore the fibers. Many commercial carpet cleaning services use a combination of shampoos and steam to deep clean carpets and upholstery yearly.
If you want to do the carpet cleaning yourself, it is possible to rent a high-grade steam cleaner and use a recommended carpet cleaning shampoo. It can be costly to use a commercial cleaning service or rent a carpet cleaning machine, but fresh, clean carpets are worth the cost.
There are lightweight carpet cleaners to rent with carpet cleaning solutions or dry shampoos if you want to clean the carpets yourself.
Tips to Keep Carpets Clean Longer
- Ensure you place doormats outside and inside all entrance doors to catch dirt.
- Remove your shoes at the door to prevent bringing in the dirt.
- Vacuum a few times a week.
- Treat stains immediately.
- Keep your vacuum well-maintained and clean, so it functions properly.
- Brush and bathe them frequently to protect your carpets if you have pets.
With so many carpet cleaners on the market, finding the one best suited for your carpets will be easy. We hope the list of best types of carpet cleaners and cleaning solutions we listed above will be helpful to you when you decide to deep clean your carpets.
- The Spruce – How to deep Clean Carpet
- Good Housekeeping
- The Spruce – Best Carpet Cleaning Companies