Table of Contents
- Why Use A Water Filter?
- Choosing the Right Water Filter
- How We Selected Our Top 10 Filters
- Our Top 10 Under Sink Water Filters
- 1. Level 3 EZ-Change Under Sink Drinking Water Filtration System
- 2. 2-Stage Under-Sink Filtration System
- 3. Refillable Undercounter Filter
- 4. 3-Stage Under-sink Filtration System
- 5. H2O+ Coral Three-Stage Undercounter Water Filter System
- 6. Under Sink Water Filter System
- 7. 3 Stage Under Sink Water Filtration System
- 8. Water Box with Filter and Nano Filter
- 9. Level 1 EZ-Change Under Sink Drinking Water Filtration System
- 10. 3-Stage UF-3 Filter Pure Under-sink Filtration System
Why Use A Water Filter?
There are two main advantages of using a water filter. Your water will have a more pleasant taste, and the filter will eliminate contaminants like lead or pesticides.
If you live in a home built prior to 1986, it is possible that your water goes through lead pipes. Nearby industrial zones and even farms can cause contaminants to end up in the water supply. Under sink water filters are very discreet, do not take up space on your counter and can efficiently filter large quantities of water.
Choosing the Right Water Filter
Installing an under sink filtration system means you might have to make a few plumbing modifications. You might want to look for a filter that won’t require extensive modifications.
You will also want to consider the amount of space available under your kitchen sink, your budget and your needs when choosing a water filter. Look for a water filter with a capacity that matches the size of your household and the amount of water you typically use.
The most important thing to look at when selecting a water filter is the list of contaminants it filters. If you are not sure which contaminants you need to eliminate, contact your water supplier to get a water quality report or get in touch with your local health department to get water testing supplies. Make sure the filter you choose is NSF certified to eliminate the contaminants present in your water.
How We Selected Our Top 10 Filters
We looked at different under sink water filtration systems and chose the top 10 best products. We looked for water filters that are NSF certified or that meet similar quality standards.
We also compared water filtration levels to determine which products would be ideal to remove bad taste and odor and to find systems more adapted to removing dangerous contaminants.
Our Top 10 Under Sink Water Filters
1. Level 3 EZ-Change Under Sink Drinking Water Filtration System
- Style: 3 levels under sink filtration system.
- Design: NSF-certified under sink water filter with advanced filtration.
The Level 3 EZ-Change filtration system features three different filters to get rid of the taste, odor, chlorine, sediments, lead, parasites and more. This is a NSF-certified product that delivers advanced filtration for your drinking or cooking water like QualityWaterLab.com has on it.
You can adjust the pressure and temperature range. You should replace the filter every 6 months or after filtering 500 gallons.
The quick connect fittings and twist on and off mechanism make installation very easy. The product comes with everything you need to install it under your sink, including a filter, supply adapter, faucet and mounting screws.
2. 2-Stage Under-Sink Filtration System
- Style: 2 stages water filtration system.
- Design: NSF-certified under sink water filter with 1-micron filter and carbon block filter.
The 2-Stage Under-Sink Filtration System gets more contaminants out of your water thanks to its two filters. The first filter is a heavy duty 1-micron filter that removes sediments, lead, and other particles. The second filter eliminates volatile organic chemicals.
This is an ideal option if you want to get rid of taste and odors caused by chlorine or want to remove herbicides and other harmful chemicals from your water.
This is a NSF-certified product with a 0.5 gallon per minute flow rate. You can filter up to 600 gallons before having to replace the filter.
3. Refillable Undercounter Filter
- Style: Single stage inline water filter.
- Design: Under sink water filtration system with coconut shell carbon filter.
The Refillable Undercounter Filter removes mercury, lead, chlorine, sediments, mold, and algae among many other types of harmful particles. This product also removes pharmaceuticals that sometimes end up in the water supply.
The most interesting feature of this product is the coconut shell carbon filter. Regular carbon filters need to be replaced regularly because bacteria can grow in these filters. Coconut shell carbon filters are different because it won’t let bacteria grow.
This product doesn’t require any maintenance and you should be able to install it in 15 minutes. There is a 2 gallons per minute flow rate, which is ideal for the needs of a large household.
The only downside of this product is that you can only use it to filter cold water.
4. 3-Stage Under-sink Filtration System
- Style: 3 stages water filter.
- Design: Under sink water filtration system with UV rays and coconut shell carbon filter.
This product features 3 stages of filtration. It differs from other similar filtration systems because it uses UV rays.
Water will go through a coconut shell carbon filter to remove lead and other contaminants. The filtration system then uses UV rays to eliminate microbes. This additional level of filtration is ideal if someone in your household has a weakened immune system or if bacteria is present in your drinking water.
This system has a 1,350 gallon capacity in spite of its compact design. The interesting thing is that this filtration system is compatible with a wide range of replacement filters. This makes shopping for a replacement filter easier and you can choose the best filter for your needs.
5. H2O+ Coral Three-Stage Undercounter Water Filter System
- Style: 3 stages water filtration system.
- Design: NSF/ANSI and WQA-certified under sink water filter.
The H2O+ Coral Three-Stage Undercounter Water Filter System includes three different filters. The first one is a sediment filter, the second a pre-carbon filter and the third filter is a carbon block filter.
These three filters remove chlorine, mercury, lead, asbestos, and volatile chemicals among many other types of particles. This system comes with a faucet and an LED indicator that tells you when you need a new filter.
It features quick connect technology for easy installation and changing a filter is simple thanks to the twist system. The filter cartridge should last for an entire year.
This product meets the NSF/ANSI requirements as well as the WQA (Water Quality Association) standards.
6. Under Sink Water Filter System
- Style: Single-stage filtration system.
- Design: Under sink water filter with a compact design.
This Under Sink Water Filter System will help remove cysts, rust, sediments, and chlorine. The compact design is ideal if you do not have much space under your sink.
You can also choose the install the filter horizontally or vertically. This water filtration system is great for removing bad taste, odor, and sediments but won’t remove volatile chemicals and other contaminants.
The filter should last 6 months and an LED indicator will tell you when it is time to replace it.
7. 3 Stage Under Sink Water Filtration System
- Style: 3-stage water filtration system.
- Design: NSF-certified under sink water filter with a 600-gallon capacity.
The 3 Stage Under Sink Water Filtration System removes up to 97% of chlorine. The 3 filters are also effective against lead, mercury, cysts, volatile chemicals, and other particles.
This water filtration system can remove a total of 60 different contaminants and is NSF-certified. The 600-gallon capacity and 0.5 gallons per minute flow are ideal for most households.
You will need to change the filter twice a year and can use this filtration system for hot or cold water. The product is made with eco-friendly materials and is very easy to install.
8. Water Box with Filter and Nano Filter
- Style: Under sink water filter with reverse osmosis membrane.
- Design: Compact water filtration system with a modern look.
The Water Box with Filter and Nano Filter comes with a reverse osmosis membrane. The great thing about this filtration system is that you can choose what kind of filter you put in it. The reverse osmosis membrane is an efficient way to remove chemicals, but you might prefer to use a regular carbon filter.
The faucet included in this filtration system has a modern look that should fit most kitchens. There is a manual back wash system to make the filter lasts longer and you should be able to filter 2.5 gallons of water per minute.
Note that this filtration system only works with cold water.
9. Level 1 EZ-Change Under Sink Drinking Water Filtration System
- Style: Single stage water filtration system.
- Design: NSF-certified under sink water filter with a single level of filtration.
This water filter is an ideal choice if you are looking for a quick and easy way to get rid of unpleasant taste and odor in your drinking water. This filtration system will remove some particles but won’t do anything against volatile chemicals and other contaminants.
There is one level of filtration, which might be enough for your needs if your drinking water is not heavily polluted. This is a NSF-certified product and the filter should last for 3,000 gallons.
You can adjust the pressure range between 30 and 100 psi and use this system with hot or cold water. The 0.5 gallon per minute flow rate should be adapted to the needs of most households.
10. 3-Stage UF-3 Filter Pure Under-sink Filtration System
- Style: 3-stage water filtration system.
- Design: WQA and NSF/ANSI-certified advanced under sink water filter.
The 3-Stage UF-3 Filter Pure Under-sink Filtration System is a great choice if you need to remove a number of contaminants from your drinking and cooking water. This filtration system includes three stages to remove chlorine, lead, chemicals, and cysts.
This product meets WQA and NSF/ANSI certification standards. There is an auto shut off valve and you can adjust the pressure between 40 and 100 psi.
The first filter is a five-micron filter that removes sediments and rust. The second filter is a carbon block filter to eliminate chemicals and lead. There is a third level of filtration is a UF hollow fiber technology membrane that only lets clean water and dissolved minerals through.
You can use this system with hot and cold water and the installation process is very easy. You can even replace filters without shutting your water off!
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.