Table of Contents
- Why Get a Space Heater?
- What to Consider When Shopping For Space Heaters
- How Did We Select These Top 10 Indoor Space Heaters?
- Our Top 10 Indoor Space Heaters
- 1. Mini 1200 Watt Electric Heater
- 2. Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
- 3. 400 Watt Wall Mounted Electric Convection Panel Heater
- 4. Softheat Hydronic Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
- 5. RBF Series 1000-Watt 120-Volt Electric Wall Fan Heater
- 6. Com-Pak Series Energy Plus Multi-Watt 120/240-Volt Electric Fan Wall Heater
- 7. Off the Wall Bed/Bathroom Heater
- 8. Ceramic 200 Watt Portable Electric Fan Compact Heater
- 9. Com-Pak Plus Series Electric Fan Wall Insert Heater
- 10. Ceramic 1,500 Watt Portable Compact Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
Why Get a Space Heater?
A space heater is a cost-efficient way to keep a room or a portion of a room warm. Adding a space heater to your bedroom will help you stay comfortable throughout the night without turning the heat on.
If you have a room that is not connected to your main heating system, you definitely need a space heater. These appliances also help you reduce your energy bills when used as an alternative to your furnace.
What to Consider When Shopping For Space Heaters
You need to pay attention to the wattage rating of a space heater to determine how much electricity the appliance will use and how efficient it will be. As a rule of thumb, you should get a space heater with 10 Watts per square foot.
You will also need to look at BTU ratings. BTU stands for British Thermal Unit and basically indicates how many BTUs/hour the appliance will add to the air. A lot BTU rating means your space heater will have to run for a long time to warm up a room and a high BTU rating means you will need to constantly turn the appliance on and off since the air might heat up too quickly.
Look for energy-efficient products, think about getting a space heater with an adjustable thermostat, a programmable timer, and other features you will need. Overheat protection and an internal switch that turns the appliance off if it gets knocked down are other features to look for.
How Did We Select These Top 10 Indoor Space Heaters?
We put together this list of the top space heaters by looking at two things:
- The wattage and BTU ratings and other features like portability.
- The reviews are written by shoppers.
These top-rated space heaters are energy-efficient and will help you maintain a comfortable temperature at home or at your office. However, you need to choose an appliance designed for the size of the room you want to keep warm.
Our Top 10 Indoor Space Heaters
1. Mini 1200 Watt Electric Heater
- Style: Personal contemporary space heater.
- Design: Compact space heater with an original fireplace design.
This space heater really stood out to us because of its fun design. This appliance looks like a mini-fireplace and even features flame effect that shoppers say is very realistic.
This is a 1,200 Watt space heater that should be enough for 169 square feet. The BTU rating is 4100. The space heater pulls the air at the front of the fireplace and releases it in the back. You can adjust the Hi/Lo temperature setting, and the fan will circulate warm air in the room.
This space heat is 10’ tall and you can either leave it on the ground or place it on shelving or on another piece of furniture. The dimensions are 13.5”x6.75”x0.53”.
2. Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
- Style: convection baseboard heater.
- Design: Steel convection bedroom space heater.
You can install this electric convection space heater on a baseboard to warm up an entire room. This is a product designed for bedrooms, and you will find that the quiet operation is a real plus.
Ideally, you should install this baseboard space heater under a window. The steel design is very durable and should be very discreet in your bedroom.
You can hardwire this heater into an existing thermostat for more control or set the limit switch to the maximum temperature you want in your bedroom.
The convection design means air will circulate in your bedroom, and you can choose from several Wattage ratings. The smallest baseboard heaters start at 350 Watts, but you can choose a model with up to 2,000 Watts.
3. 400 Watt Wall Mounted Electric Convection Panel Heater
- Style: Convection space heater.
- Design: Indoor panel heater with a wall mount.
This 400 Watt indoor space heater is ideal for a 120 square feet room. The flat panel is very discreet and adapted for small spaces.
The fiber cement board is a durable option, and the white finish should look good in any interior. This space heater delivers 1,365 BTU.
4. Softheat Hydronic Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
- Style: Baseboard indoor space heater.
- Design: Energy-efficient space heater with a sealed fluid system.
The Softheat Hydronic Electric Convection Baseboard Heater is an interesting alternative to fan heaters. This space heater uses a sealed fluid system to keep your room warm, which reduces the presence of allergens in the air you breathe.
You can choose a 500 Watt model with 1,706 BTU or a 1,500 Watt model with 5,118 BTU. The surface temperature of the heater does not get as high as other convection heaters, and the sealed fluid system means the heater emits heat even when it is not using any power.
5. RBF Series 1000-Watt 120-Volt Electric Wall Fan Heater
- Style: Wall fan heater.
- Design: Wire mesh fan heater with a blower.
This steel wall fan heater uses 1,000 Watts and delivers 3,418 BTU. This is an ideal choice for a small room since the wall design means the heater does not take up much space.
There is a fan and a blower to circulate air and this space heater should be enough for a 175 square feet room. The chrome finish is stylish and discreet, but you might want to get a housing case for this fan heater.
Note that the dimensions are 19”x12”x4” and that finding a housing case should not be difficult.
6. Com-Pak Series Energy Plus Multi-Watt 120/240-Volt Electric Fan Wall Heater
- Style: Electric wall heater with fan.
- Design: Energy-efficient wall space heater with adjustable wattage.
The Com-Pak Series Plus Multi-Watt 120/240 Electric Fan Wall Heater could reduce your energy use by as much as 30%. There is a built-in thermostat and backlit display so you can adjust the temperature precisely.
This space heater will help you save energy by automatically adjusting the wattage. You can use the fan only mode to circulate air and program this space heater with a pre-set temperature.
You will need to mount this space heater on the wall, and this appliance should be ideal for a 275 square feet room.
7. Off the Wall Bed/Bathroom Heater
- Style: Wall space heater.
- Design: Energy-efficient, quiet wall heater ideal for a bedroom or bathroom.
The Off the Wall Bed/Bathroom Heater comes with a thermostat so you can precisely set the temperature. This is an energy-efficient appliance that lets air circulate in your bedroom or bathroom while operating quietly.
You can choose between a white or a black finish, and the 8” long power cord makes it easy to install this appliance in a convenient spot.
This is a 1,500 Watt space heater with 5,120 BTU that should be a good fit for a 200 square feet room. Even though this is a wall space heater, some shoppers say it is small enough to sit on top of furniture.
8. Ceramic 200 Watt Portable Electric Fan Compact Heater
- Style: Personal space heater.
- Design: Compact portable space heater with safety features.
The Ceramic 200 Watt Portable Electric Fan Compact Heater is the perfect addition to your bedroom, dorm room or office. This 200 Watt personal space heater is ideal for a 150 square feet. It delivers 682 BTU.
There are some built-in safety features and the housing will stay cool while the heater runs. You can choose between a white and gray finish and will find that this 6.1”x4.3”x3.8” space heater is easy to transport and set wherever you need it.
9. Com-Pak Plus Series Electric Fan Wall Insert Heater
- Style: Wall insert space heater.
- Design: Indoor space heater with wall can, grill and heater assembly.
Upgrade your bedroom with this wall insert heater. This is the perfect option if you do not have enough space for a portable indoor space heater.
There is a built-in fan, thermostat, overheat protection and an automatic shut off feature. The steel design makes this wall insert a durable addition to any room of your house.
You can get a 1,000, 1,500 or 2,000 Watt model in function of your needs. The 1,000 Watt model delivers 3,412 BTU.
10. Ceramic 1,500 Watt Portable Compact Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
- Style: Compact personal space heater.
- Design: Portable personal space heater, ideal for bedrooms and offices.
The Ceramic 1,500 Watt Portable Compact Heater is a small but powerful space heater. This space heater delivers 5,118 BTU and features a handle so you can easily transport it.
This appliance weighs 3.9lb and measures 10.2”x7.5”x6.6”. This is something you can set in your bedroom, your dorm room or even in your office to stay warm.
This is a quiet space heater that will stay cool, even if you run it for long periods of time.
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.