Here is an updated consumer guide on the best available garage heaters that you can purchase for your home.
He lives in the Northwest so it gets cold and while he loves the cold, I don’t. I’m not a big fan of hanging out in cold garages so that’s where a quality garage heater comes in.
The thing with a garage heater is it needs to warm a large space and do so efficiently and safely. More specifically, it needs to be suited for the outdoors.
With hundreds of options, where do you start?
We have your back.
We filtered out a lot of the noise and put together a solid list of what we consider the best garage heaters below.
Table of Contents
- What Are the Advantages of a Garage Heater?
- How to Choose the Right Garage Heater
- Should You Get an Electric or Propane Heater?
- Our Top 10 Garage Heaters
- 1. Designer Series 5,118 BTU Portable Electric Tower Heater with Remote Control
- 2. 18,000 BTU Portable Propane Radiant Compact Heater
- 3. 30,000 BTU Wall Mounted Propane Manual Wall Insert Heater
- 4. Garage Shop 1,200 Watt Ceiling Mount Electric Radiant Heater
- 5. Kozy World 30,000 BTU Garage Dual Fuel Wall Heater
- 6. Halogen Garage 1200 Watt Electric Mounted Patio Heater
- 7. 5,000 Watts Fan Forced Wall/Ceiling Electric Garage Space Heater
- 8. 6,000 Watt Wall Mounted Electric Fan Utility Heater
- 9. 10,000 BTU Propane Tabletop Patio Heater
- 10. 9,500 BTU Propane Tabletop Patio Heater
What Are the Advantages of a Garage Heater?
In most homes, the garage is not connected to the main heating system. Installing a garage heater allows you to maintain a comfortable temperature while you work in your garage.
You will be able to work comfortably late at night or to spend time in your garage during the Fall and Spring, even if the outside temperature is still chilly.
Some garage heaters are portable and can be set outside to keep your patio or other living areas warm.
How to Choose the Right Garage Heater
You should look for an appliance designed for garage or for outdoor use. An indoor space heater will not be powerful enough to keep your garage warm while remaining energy-efficient.
Look at the wattage rating and at the BTU to determine how powerful a garage heater is. You will also want a fan to circulate heat and air in your garage.
Oscillation is another interesting feature, especially if you have a large garage. A portable garage heater will be a plus if you want to be able to occasionally use it outside or would like to take this appliance with you on your next camping trip.
Should You Get an Electric or Propane Heater?
Propane is more energy-efficient. Typically, a heater can generate 91,547 BTU with a gallon of propane but would use 23KW to generate the same amount of energy.
Propane is cheaper than electricity in most cases, although it might make more sense to use an electric appliance if your local provider offers rates that are below the national average.
The main downside of getting a propane heater is that you will need to purchase propane tanks. Carrying a large propane tank can be an inconvenience and this is an additional errand you will have to run.
Our Top 10 Garage Heaters
1. Designer Series 5,118 BTU Portable Electric Tower Heater with Remote Control
- Style: Electric tower heater.
- Design: Ceramic tower heater with an ornamented design.
The design of the Designer Series Portable Electric Tower Heater really stood out to us. This product would be an ideal choice if you are looking for an appliance that will blend in with your patio furniture or if you use your garage as a living space.
This is a 1,500 Watt tower heater with a ceramic element. It delivers 5,118 BTU and would be ideal for 300 square feet.
There is an oscillation feature so you can cover more space and the remote control allows you to turn the heater on and off and to set the temperature.
2. 18,000 BTU Portable Propane Radiant Compact Heater
- Style: Propane heater.
- Design: Compact portable propane heater on wheels.
This portable propane heater is safe to use indoors. You will need a 20lb propane tank and the heater will run for 24 hours on the high setting and for 65 hours on the low setting before you need to replace the tank.
This compact heater would be ideal for 450 square feet and you can adjust the output between 660 and 1,800 BTU. The caster wheels are ideal if you need a heater for a shop since you can easily move the heater from one area to the next.
There is an oxygen depletion sensor built into the heater for safety.
3. 30,000 BTU Wall Mounted Propane Manual Wall Insert Heater
- Style: Wall mounted propane heater.
- Design: Powerful garage heater, mounted as a wall insert.
The 30,000 BTU Wall Mounted Propane Manual Wall Insert Heater is perfect for a large garage, a shop or a cabin. You will need a 100lb tank to power this heater.
This appliance delivers 30,000 BTU and you can choose from three temperature settings. There is a built-in regulator to make the appliance safer. The wall insert design helps you save space in your garage or shop.
This is a heavy-duty garage heater that will keep you warm throughout the harshest of winters!
4. Garage Shop 1,200 Watt Ceiling Mount Electric Radiant Heater
- Style: Ceiling mount heater.
- Design: Garage electric heater with radiant heat.
This electric heater is slightly different from other products because the radiant heat mimics what standing under the sun feels like. This appliance comes with a mount that you can install on a wall or on the ceiling just above your workspace.
You can adjust the wattage between 600 Watt and 1,200 Watt and this garage heater should be sufficient for 400 square feet.
5. Kozy World 30,000 BTU Garage Dual Fuel Wall Heater
- Style: Dual fuel wall heater.
- Design: Garage wall heater with convection heat.
The Kozy World 30,000 BTU Garage Dual Fuel Wall Heater works with any LP/NG fuel source. You can connect this efficient heater to a propane tank or decide to use another natural gas.
This appliance uses convection heat to maintain a comfortable temperature in a room up to 1,250 square feet. The 30,000 BTU are ideal for a large garage, a shop, or even a construction site.
We really liked the dancing blue flames visible inside of the heater!
6. Halogen Garage 1200 Watt Electric Mounted Patio Heater
- Style: Halogen garage heater.
- Design: Electric garage heater with halogen light and wall mount.
This 1,200-watt electric heater comes with a wall mount arm so you can easily install it on your garage or your patio wall. It also comes with a hood in case you need to direct light and heat towards a workstation or a table.
The foldable bracket makes installing this dual halogen heater very easy. The compact design is great for small garages and you will find that the heat resistant glass stays cool to the touch.
7. 5,000 Watts Fan Forced Wall/Ceiling Electric Garage Space Heater
- Style: Wall or ceiling space heater.
- Design: Efficient electric garage space heater with fan forced heating.
This 5,000-watt space heater would be ideal for a shop but will also make a great addition to your garage if you often work on DIY projects.
You can install this heater on the wall or on the ceiling thanks to the swivel bracket. The fan forced heating makes this appliance more energy-efficient and is particularly well-suited for large areas.
This space heater delivers 17,060 BTU and can warm up a 500 square feet room.
Even though this space heater comes with a swivel bracket, you can choose to leave it on a table or on another area thanks to its compact size.
8. 6,000 Watt Wall Mounted Electric Fan Utility Heater
- Style: Wall or ceiling fan space heater.
- Design: Powerful garage heater with a coil heating element.
The 6,000 Watt Wall Mounted Electric Fan Utility Heater can maintain a temperature in a room of up to 600 square feet. There are high and low settings that correspond to 3,000 and 6,000 Watt.
The lowest setting delivers 15,355 BTU while the high setting delivers 20,473 BTU. The thermal protection keeps this appliance cool to the touch and the fan motor circulates air in your garage. The coil heating element means your garage will warm up quickly and the electric heater will use less energy.
This appliance comes with a mounting bracket so you can install it on a wall or on the ceiling.
9. 10,000 BTU Propane Tabletop Patio Heater
- Style: Tabletop propane heater.
- Design: Portable tabletop propane heater with adjustable heat.
The 10,000 BTU Propane Tabletop Patio Heater will look great among your patio furniture. This tabletop heater can also be an energy-efficient addition to your garage.
A portable space heater makes more sense if you want a versatile appliance you can use in your garage, shed, and in your outdoors living area.
You can adjust the heat setting and this tabletop propane heater will deliver 10,000 BTU at the highest setting. You will need to use a 1lb propane tank. Note that it diffuses heat within a 6’ range.
There is an anti-tilt feature to prevent incidents and an auto shut off feature and pilot light for safety.
10. 9,500 BTU Propane Tabletop Patio Heater
- Style: Tabletop propane heater.
- Design: Portable propane and butane heater designed for tabletop use.
The 9,500 BTU Propane Tabletop Patio Heater is a little less powerful than the previous tabletop propane heater. This appliance still delivers 9,500 BTU and diffuses heat within a 4’ radius.
This tabletop heater makes more sense if you want to warm up a small workspace. This is a portable appliance that you can use on your patio table or easily bring with you on a camping trip.
There is an anti-tilt switch, which means the heater will immediately shut off if it falls. Note that you can use propane or butane with this tabletop appliance.
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.