Studded with sliced apples, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, and feta cheese, our recipe for Tangy Fruit and Greens Salad takes salad to a new level. These toppings are piled atop a bed of colorful greens and coated with a sweet and tangy Apple Juice Vinaigrette salad dressing.
When many people think of salad they think of a bowl of limp, pale iceberg lettuce studded with some anemic looking tomatoes, and a few shreds of carrots. Generally, this typical salad is topped with a blob of bottled ranch dressing and maybe a few fake bacon bits.
Tangy Fruit and Greens Salad Recipe
- salad spinner or a colander
- Small bowl
- microwave in melting the butter
- small baking sheet
- aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Food Processor or Blender
- large salad bowl
- 12 ounces salad greens, spring mix, baby spinach, arugula, baby romaine, etc.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp butter for toasting the nuts
- ½ cup light vegetable oil
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium crisp apples
- 3 additional tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- To start, wash your salad greens if they are not pre-washed. Rinse them well in a salad spinner or a colander.
- Shake the colander or salad spinner well.
- Dump the washed greens onto an absorbent towel and blot any excess water from them.
- Leave the greens scattered on a dry towel to air dry a bit as you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Next, you will prepare the toasted walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, microwave the butter to melt it, about 20 to 25 seconds.
- Add the nuts and stir them to coat.
- Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Scatter the buttered nuts on the foil or parchment.
- Bake the nuts in the preheated oven until they are browned and fragrant. This should take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Pay close attention to the nuts, and do not walk away for more than a moment or two. They can burn very quickly.
- Stir the nuts and turn them from time to time during the baking time.
- When the nuts are toasted, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the pan.
- Next, you will prepare the apple juice vinaigrette.
- Measure the oil, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a one pint mason jar with a tightly fitting lid.
- Screw on the lid and shake it well until all the ingredients are fully combined. If you want to, you can use a food processor or blender to mix this all up.
- Slice the apples in half and remove the cores from the apples
- Slice the apples into very thin slices
- Put the sliced apples into a bowl and sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice all over them.
- Slice the apples into very thin slices. Put the sliced apples into a bowl and sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice all over them.
- Use a large salad bowl and layer in the salad greens with the apple slices, walnuts, dried cranberries, and feta cheese.
- Immediately before serving, toss the salad with the apple juice vinaigrette salad dressing.
- Toss the salad with tongs and use as much dressing as you desire.
- Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Related: Fruit Salad Recipes