Most people will love these mushrooms, but every now and then you may have a family member who absolutely hates mushrooms. That is actually okay, because the filling of this recipe is quite versatile. You can take this same filling and pack it into baby peppers or even a hollowed out tomato. Bake these up just like you would a mushroom.
While many recipes for stuffed mushrooms are plain, we dressed our recipe up a little bit with the addition of panko breadcrumbs. These breadcrumbs will brown easily in the oven, giving the mushrooms a delicious, golden brown, crunchy topping.
Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 2 lbs whole white button mushrooms
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh spinach
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or another tangy cheese of your choosing
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ tsp cooking oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Wash and pat dry the mushrooms with a paper towel. Turn them over and make sure that there is no soil remaining on the undersides of the mushroom caps. Use a sharp paring knife to remove the mushroom stems. You can discard the stems or save them for another dish. Set the mushrooms aside and move on to making the filling for the mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to help with cleanup.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese at low speed until it is smooth and creamy. Add the cheddar cheese and ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese and blend. Add the minced garlic and the salt, mixing it again.
- Use a sharp knife and a cutting board to chop the spinach coarsely. Use a wooden spoon to blend the spinach into the cream cheese mixture until it is fully combined.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to stir the bread crumbs with the other ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and the 1 ½ teaspoon of oil. Set this aside.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the cream cheese filling and pack it into the cavity of the mushroom caps. Turn the mushroom cap upside down and press it into the bread crumb mixture so that the crumbs stick to the cream cheese filling. Place the mushroom, filling side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mushrooms and filling. Spray the mushrooms all over with the cooking spray
- Bake the prepared mushrooms in the preheated oven for 18 to 24 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the filling is heated through. The bread crumb topping should be golden brown. If it is not, turn on the broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes at the end of the baking time.
- Use tongs to remove the mushrooms from the baking sheet. Serve the mushrooms hot.