If you need a delicious recipe that is also filling even for hearty eaters, this recipe for Spicy Bean and Sausage Soup fits the bill. Additionally, this is a slow cooker recipe, so on those days when life is hectic, dinner will be ready as soon as you get home.
Some days you may just be in the mood for something warm and spicy. This recipe for Spicy Bean and Sausage Soup is the perfect recipe for days like that. It is warm and soothing, perfect for chilly winter days, and even better, you can prepare it in the slow cooker so that you don’t have to spend time in the kitchen on a busy workday. Don’t worry, though, if you don’t care for spicy food or the kids can’t handle the heat. You can prepare this soup with mild Italian sausage if you need to turn down the temperature of the soup.
Spicy Bean and Sausage Soup Recipe
- Large skillet
- Large Slow Cooker
- 1 pound Italian Sausage hot or mild, with the casing removed
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 pc Green Pepper chopped
- 15 ounces Pinto Beans from a can
- 15 ounces Cannellini Beans from a can
- 3 cups Beef Broth or beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 10 ounces Tomatoes with Diced Green Chili Peppers from a can
- In a large skillet, brown the meat, stirring and chopping it until no pink remains and it is chopped into small bits.
- Drain any accumulated fat from the meat and discard the fat.
- Place the meat, broth, onion powder, and minced garlic in a large slow cooker.
- Open both of the cans of beans and drain the liquid from the beans. You may want to put the beans in a colander and rinse them if the liquid is particularly thick and slimy.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the other ingredients.
- Stir in the bell pepper, salt, and chili powder.
- Open the can of tomatoes and add it to the soup, but do not drain the juices from the tomatoes. The tomato juice will add to the flavor of the broth in this soup.
- Replace the lid of the slow cooker and cook the soup for two to four hours on high heat, or you can cook it for six to eight hours on low heat.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese or corn chips.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a dish with a tightly fitting lid. They should be used within three days.
- To reheat, put the soup in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a paper towel, and microwave it for about a minute and a half, stirring halfway through the time.
- Alternatively, you can put your soup in a saucepan on the stove and reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until it is steaming.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese