Of all household chores, ironing is my favorite. Or should I’m least opposed to ironing.
I enjoy the task of taking a wrinkled, unsightly garment and making it crisp and smooth. I’m quite good and fast at ironing. I’m a stickler for ensuring my clothes are nicely pressed.
Every home should have an ironing board, even is space is limited. Fortunately for small spaces, including small laundry rooms, there are small ironing board options including compact folding models, drop-down models and slide-out models.
Below is our list of the 10 best compact ironing boards.
Table of Contents
- A. Small Freestanding Ironing Boards
- B. Small Drop-Down Ironing Boards
- C. Small Slide-Out Ironing Board
- D. Conclusion
A. Small Freestanding Ironing Boards
1. StorageManiac Tabletop Ironing Board
If you are tight on space, the last thing you probably want is an ironing board that will actually take up half of your living room. However, this ironing board is so small that you can iron over your desk. Everyone has a desk, don’t they?
This ironing board has small legs that will work as an extension to your desk, saving on space. The legs are also foldable, which means it will be easy for you to store it in the closet or over the drawer whenever it is not in use.
The ironing board itself is also fairly small, considering it measures only around 14.17D x 23.62W x 7.08 inches. It’s the perfect household accessory for a small room. Plus, since it weighs less than 3 pounds, it’s very easy to carry around – making it one of the best small ironing boards.
- Collapsible, making it easy to store
- Highly versatile, and can be used as a commodity board or a computer table
- Removable cotton cover that can be washed at any time
- It would have been better if it had a length extension
2. House Essentials Ironing Board
This looks like your average ironing board – only it’s much smaller than that. Some people do not have the luxury of space, so they place their small ironing boards in whatever nook they can.
Built on a metal framing with a bronze finish, this ironing board not only looks chic, but it’s very stable as well. It also includes a non-slip ironing cover that won’t let your clothes “escape” from the ironing process.
Being 18 inches wide and 49 inches low, the small ironing boards from this series are very small. The fact that they are also collapsible makes it even easier to store one of these board. Plus, since one unit weighs less than 20 pounds, it’s very easy to carry around.
- Lightweight and collapsible, making storage easy
- Non-slip cover that will prevent the clothing from falling
- Iron rest and racks to make things easy and organized for you
- It has an adjustable height
- The sleeve arm is a bit loose
3. Honey Can Do Ironing Board
With its retractable legs and iron rest, this ironing board is as compact as it can be. Measuring 54 inches in length and 15 inches in width, it won’t occupy much space, no matter if it’s retracted or not.
When it is folded, this ironing board can be as tall as 36 inches. Considering that it has 7 adjustable levels, it’s perfect even if you are a tall person or a short one; you won’t have to use a stepping chair anymore.
This unit weighs 10 pounds, which makes it easily portable. You can carry it from the storage space to the ironing area easily, without worrying that you might break a hip by accident.
- The adjustable leg levels make it perfect for people of every height
- The iron rest and legs are retractable, making it compact and easy to store
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- The mechanical parts are fairly basic and a bit flimsy
4. Minky Homecare Compact Ironing Board
If you want something to give your home a fresh look, then the Minky compact ironing board is perfect for you. Having a cotton cover with colorful, cartoonish leaves on it, this ironing board is the cutest thing around.
Even when it comes to small ironing boards, this model is fairly lightweight. Weighing less than 7 pounds, you can easily carry it around from one place to another without any issues.
As for its dimensions, this board is 46 inches long and 13 inches wide. It’s big enough to give you plenty of ironing space – a feature that many small ironing boards don’t offer. It’s also slim enough to be stored in any compact area, such as a closet or the top of a wardrobe.
- The adjustable height makes it comfortable for both tall and short people
- Fully collapsible for minimal storage
- The iron rest has a very convenient steam-safe angle
- Depending on the surface, it can get fairly shaky
5. Household Essentials Mega Pressing Station
49 inches – that’s how much this ironing board will take from your house space. While this may not be the baby of all small ironing boards, it’s compact enough to be appropriate for a small apartment.
Having four metal legs, this ironing board is very stable. No more wobbling around or slipping from the surface. The rubber caps on the feet will also make sure the board stays in its place.
Weighing around 22 lbs., this product is on the high average when it comes to small ironing boards. Still, it’s lighter than most, and you will generally not have any issues carrying it around from one place to another.
- Wide and sturdy construction
- The adjustable legs make it perfect for people of every height
- It comes with a sleeve rest to make things easier
- It’s heavier than it looks
B. Small Drop-Down Ironing Boards
1. Honey Can Do Over-the-Door Ironing Board
Sometimes, you don’t even have the space necessary to hold a freestanding ironing board in your room. The problem with sewing rooms – or any other kind of room in a small apartment – is that floor room is scarce.
This ironing board, on the other hand, can easily be attached to the back of any door. When your clothes are ready for some steam, all you have to do is fold up or down. It’s 47 inches long and 17 inches wide, which gives you plenty of ironing space.
The advantage with these kinds of small ironing boards is that the door attachment offers extra stability. As long as the door is tightly shut, the board won’t move. Plus, it has adjustable legs for even more stability that you can set according to your height.
- The door attachment offers extra stability
- It has an extra elastic banding that provides a snug, secure fit
- The overall tabletop is foldable and compact enough to fit in a suitcase or a cabinet
- It bangs on the door a lot when folded, which makes opening and closing the door a very noisy task.
2. Eureka MFG Wall Mounted Ironing Board
If you are really tight on space, then small ironing boards that measure around 30 inches should be the perfect choice for you. With a length of 33.7 inches, this board is neither too long nor too short; it’s just perfect to handle any piece of clothing.
Its actual weight is 33 pounds, but considering that you mount it on the wall, it will not be very difficult to handle it. Most of it will already be supported by the wall, so you’ll barely be inconvenienced by it.
This ironing board functions on an easy one-click mechanism, which means it won’t go down unless you release its switch. This is a very good feature if you do not have a cabinet to hide it in – but you do have hyperactive children running around the house, bumping into stuff.
When it’s folded, it only protrudes 1.5 inches from the wall, making it perfect even for micro-apartments. To hide it from the public eye, you can easily hide it behind a curtain or a cabinet. This works for most small ironing boards of this type.
- Highly compact when folded
- It is very easy to install
- Decent padding that makes ironing easy
- The construction is sturdy and durable
- It’s pretty expensive
3. Homz Over-the-Door Ironing Board
This ironing board is fairly compact, but it offers you plenty of ironing space. It’s 42 inches long and 14 inches wide, which means you can iron even larger clothing or items.
Having a 1/4-inch foam padding, ironing on this top will be a smooth experience. Everything is held nicely together by elastics and a cotton cover – which is, by the way, removable. Thanks to this feature, you can wash it anytime you feel like it.
These types of small ironing boards are designed to be attached to a door, but with a few adjustments, you can also place them on a wall. You’ll need, however, some thicker screws for that – which will obviously be purchased separately.
- The cover is thick enough to not leave any prints
- Plenty of ironing room
- It fits snuggly in a room with limited space
- Can be fairly tricky to install
- The fabric is thick, but it can easily slip from the board
C. Small Slide-Out Ironing Board
1. Rev-A-Shelf CIB Series Ironing Board
What’s better than having an ironing board that you can slide out from a drawer? In the eyes of someone visiting you, it could very well be a clothes drawer; they won’t be able to see anything.
The beauty of this ironing board is that it’s compact and foldable. It has a depth of 16 inches and a 14-inch width, everything made in a foldable, form. Once stored in a compact mode in the drawer, you can easily place clothes or objects over it and use the rest of the storage space.
The product is easily installed on any type of closet, as long as it fits the dimensions. However, it is adjustable, so it will fit even in compact drawers. The chrome finish also makes it look nice, so even if you forget to slide it in, you won’t be embarrassed if anyone sees it.
This small ironing board is nicely padded, making it easy for you to iron your clothes without leaving “waffle” patterns from the iron structure. The cover can also be removed and washed whenever you see fit, and everything can be put back in just a jiffy.
- Compact enough to be hidden in a drawer
- The thick padding allows a smooth ironing of your clothes
- The chrome-finish makes the product look very nice
- Sturdy construction (if mounted properly)
- No cons to report
2. Iron-A-Way Deluxe Ironing Center
Those looking to store all their ironing supplies in the same place will find great use in this ironing center by Iron-A-Way. You have an ironing board and a storage closet with shelves, all in one.
The cabinet is not very big – it only takes roughly 4 inches from the wall. You have two shelves where you can store your iron, as well as other tools you may need in the process.
The overall dimension of the ironing board is 52 inches – which is fairly long, giving you enough space to “iron away.” However, since you can easily store it in the closet, it will not take much space at all. This makes it perfect for apartments where space is a concern.
This ironing board also includes an iron rest where you can safely place the iron as you are doing your work. The center may be non-electrical, but as long as you place it next to a power socket, everything should go smoothly.
- It can be folded to fit into a cabinet
- Sturdy and solid construction
- Easy to install
- Might require extra finishing
- The cabinet has no doorknob
It’s definitely not easy to purchase an ironing board – especially if you are tight on space. A full-sized model would take on half of the room and would turn the whole area into a war zone.
Your choice depends on you. If you want to hide your small ironing board behind your wardrobe or any other hiding places, you should go for a freestanding unit. These are flexible and can easily be carried from one place to another.
On the other hand, you may go for a drop-down model that you simply attach to doors or walls. Slide-out models are similar to dropdowns, only that they also have a cabinet for hiding. Either way, all of them occupy little space, and all you have to do is pick the style that you like.
Return to our main compact appliances page.