Our family bought a Weber grill last summer. It’s been a terrific investment. Fortunately we have a large patio to accommodate it, but that wasn’t always the case. For years we had very little outdoor space for grills and therefore used a small gas grill.
If you love grilling, but don’t have the space or are looking for a portable option, check out this excellent list of the best small grills for your home, camping or wherever you go.
Table of Contents
- 1. Char-Broil Portable 240 Liquid Propane Small Gas Grill
- 2. Compact Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel Table Top Propane Gas Grill
- 3. Blackstone 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill with Side Shelves
- 4. Char-Broil Classic 4-Burner Propane Gas Grill
- 5. Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill
- 6. Thor Kitchen Portable Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
- 7. Dyna-Glo LP 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill
- 8. Spirit E-310 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill
- 9. Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 240 Gas Grill
1. Char-Broil Portable 240 Liquid Propane Small Gas GrillThis cute little four-legged gas grill is one of the best you can get for a small apartment balcony, a condo, an RV, or for the autumn football tailgating season. There’s a 9,5000 BTU burner and 240 square inches of cooking space, so enough for burgers, chicken, or veggies. The legs are nice and sturdy to go on a balcony or deck, and there are thick carrying handles, too. The grill body is painted porcelain.
One great feature of this small gas grill is that it has a lid-mounted temperature gauge for quickly assessing the correct doneness of meat. You can hook this up to a one-pound propane tank and get grilling in no time, especially since there’s a Piezo ignition to start the burner with one button push.
In size, this little grill measures 24.8” wide, 16.2” deep, and 13” high. It weighs a bit over 28 pounds.
- Quick ignition system for one-button startup
- Angled feet to perfectly support grill’s weight
- Temperature gauge right on the lid
- No latches to keep the lid closed while transporting
2. Compact Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel Table Top Propane Gas Grill
A sleek domed lid made of stainless steel and a brushed chrome handle gives this small gas grill from Smoke Hollow almost a retro look and feel. The metal construction is easy to keep clean, durable, and will keep in excellent condition for years of summer grilling at home, the office, the stadium parking lot, or the beach.
Along with a compact design to make it small, this gas grill comes with a locking lid, thick and sturdy legs that fold up, and a large carrying handle. It takes a one-pound propane cylinder, plus it can also be easily converted to a 20 pound propane bottle by purchasing some separate accessories made by Smoke Hollow.
You get 205 square inches of total cooktop space, as well as 105 square inches available on the chrome-plated warming rack. The burner is 10,000 BTUs, so it can get as hot as you need to sear at high temperatures. In size, it’s 27” long, 17” wide, and only 12” high. You get a lot packed into a little!
- Comes with a stainless steel drip tray
- Lid locks and legs fold
- Temperature gauge in the lid
- Doesn’t heat evenly
3. Blackstone 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill with Side Shelves
Sleek, modern, and built to last, this Blackstone 2-burner small gas grill is compact enough to fit on your deck or balcony. The cooking surface is actually a cold rolled steel griddle, making it much better and cleaner than a wired grill. At the very least, you won’t have pieces of meat, fish, or small vegetables dropping onto hot coals.
You can also control the heat better from the two independent temperature dials. Simply push the quick ignition button, put the griddle to the heat you want, and start grilling. It’s like having a professional kitchen’s grill outside at your home. It comes with two caster wheels to move it anywhere you’d like, and any extra grease drains off on the trough and towards the catch pan.
Overall, this small gas grill is 2’ 9.25” high, 3’ 8.50” wide, and 1’ 7.5” deep, with a total cooktop surface of 456 square inches.
- Whole grill folds up to move it easily
- The burner tubes are stainless steel for durability and heat distribution
- Sturdy and thick black powdered coated base
- No lid or cover, so it’s open to the elements
4. Char-Broil Classic 4-Burner Propane Gas Grill
Two winged side shelves provide extra storage space for tongs and plates as you work at this grill cooking up steaks and burgers for summer parties. A diminutive size and powerful 32,000 BTU output make this little grill small but mighty. It uses liquid propane and is primarily made of black steel, with two wheels and two legs for stability.
You can cook up to 23 burgers at once, since the cooking space is 595 square inches. The cooking grates are porcelain coated for durability, and you can protect them from the elements with the included domed lid. Start the grill up easily with the quick Piezo ignition system.
In size, this small grill is 3’ 7.5” high, 4’ 6 5/16” wide, and 2’ 3/32” deep. It’s durable, little, and could fit easily on any deck or patio to cook up a full meal for you and your family and friends.
- Two wide side shelves
- Four main burners
- Large cooking area
- No temperature dials or controls
5. Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill
A bright fire-engine red exterior and heavyweight chunky design both combine to make this little tabletop grill stand out. The legs easily fold to make it compact enough to fit in the backseat of your car, but it’s sturdy enough to last for years. Cuisinart has long been famous for making excellent kitchenware.
You get 145 square inches of grilling area and cooking heat coming from the 5,500 BTU output. You can cook up to eight burgers or eight steaks on the surface. The legs are one of the best features on this grill, since they’re made of aluminum and are equipped with wide stabilizing feet.
Since this little grill is only about the size of a briefcase, it can be easily carried and moved anywhere. It has a thick, sturdy handle, too. It’s only 18” wide, 17” deep, and 14” high, with a very low weight of only thirteen pounds.
- Sturdy, durable, and stable construction
- Lockable dome-shaped lid
- Easy to start and easy to clean
- Very small cooking surface
6. Thor Kitchen Portable Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
One of the most strikingly stylish and modern designed small grills, this Thor portable grill will cook up your BBQ for many summers to come. It puts out a nice high heat temperature of 12,000 BTUs and has a U-shaped flame. Made of high quality stainless steel, any marks or burnt on food could be easily wiped off, making it simple to keep clean.
Inside, you’ll find a large rectangular wire rack that could fit plenty of burgers, chicken, fish, or veggies. The lid flips up and stays up, making a natural heat shield. There’s a temperature gauge in the front of this grill. It also has a sturdy build with four angled stainless steel legs and a carrying handle as well.
In size, this little grill is 21.7” wide, 12.6” deep, and only 11.23” high with the lid closed. The actual cooking area is 18.4” wide and 11.2” deep. It also has a Piezo ignition to start it easily.
- Comes with a grease tray
- Has a small footprint, so it will fit anywhere and in small spaces
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Doesn’t fold for storage or portability
7. Dyna-Glo LP 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill
How would you like a full-sized grill with two side shelves and a cabinet, but designed in a compact way that makes it perfect for an apartment, condo, or small house? Then you’d like grilling up a summer meal with this little grill. It has three stainless steel burners churning out 36,000 BTUs total (12,000 BTUs each).
This grill is handsomely constructed, with a burnished bronze metallic exterior that’s painted steel and with black painted accents. You get 507 total inches of cooking space on the lower rack, plus a warming rack, too. An electric pulse ignition activates those burners, and you can use the three dials to customize the heat for cooking any type of meat or veggies.
On either side, you’ll find drop-down tables that have tool hooks and towel bars for all the accessories you need to grill. Inside the cabinet door is space for the propane tank. Overall, this compact gas grill is 3’ 9 1/16” high, 4’ 1 1/8” wide, and 1’ 10 3/16” deep.
- The side tables drop down and have hooks and a towel bar
- Each burner can be controlled separately
- Has a big storage tank cabinet
- The brown finish isn’t as durable as stainless steel
8. Spirit E-310 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill
Cook a complete summer potluck for all of your family and friends on this family-sized, but relatively small gas grill. As soon as you open the lid, you’ll be wowed by all the cooking surface and the additional warming rack in the back. There’s a shelf on either side for plates and tool storage, as well as three temperature dials to precisely control the heat for burgers, chicken, fish, or veggies.
Three burners give you plenty of cooking space. It also has four wheeled casters for easy movability, so you can wheel it to anywhere you need to go on a deck, patio, or balcony. Six tool hooks hold your tongs and grill brushes. There’s plenty of stainless steel, as well as black accents. The cooking grate is made of cast iron for durability.
Overall, this small gas grill is 5’ 3” high, 4’ 4” wide, and 2’ 8” deep. You get 424 square inches on the actual cooking grate and 105 square inches on the warming rack, for a total cooking area of 529 square inches.
- Stainless steel construction
- Easy to assemble and nicely holds together
- Electronic starter works really well and easily
- Takes a long time for the cast iron grates to heat up
9. Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 240 Gas Grill
If you had one of those round dome-shaped grills at one point, then this one will remind you of that vintage look. However, it’s definitely updated with better and more even heating, stainless steel burners, and a porcelain coated steel heat tent. There’s a TRU-Infrared cooking system built into this grill. It puts out up to 13,000 BTUs for plenty of heat to sear steaks and cook chicken all the way through. To check the temperature while cooking, you can look at the lid-mounted temperature gauge.
Round grills are popular since they offer so much cooking space. This one has 240 square inches, which is enough for 15 burgers. There’s also a chrome plated steel wire warming rack included, that provides an additional 80 inches.
This grill is sturdy, too. It sits on four metal legs, with two wheels in the back to move it wherever you need on a deck or patio. There’s a round wire support for putting your propane tank, too. While this grill has plenty of space, it’s also relatively small and is only It’s 25.2” wide, 24.4” deep, and 38.2” high.
- Plenty of cooking space and propane tank storage space
- Portable design with wheels to move around
- Thick and sturdy handle for raising or lowering the dome
- Assembly is a bit difficult and time-consuming
Just because you have a small outdoor space doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the summer fun and enjoyment of outdoor entertaining. These little gas grills all come in a much smaller size than their larger counterparts, so they can fit just about anywhere. They can go on an apartment porch or balcony, a patio, a condo backyard, in an RV, or even be given as a gift.
The small-handled portable grills make great tailgating companions for the next big game. Since they use gas instead of charcoal, they’re less messy, too. They fold easily, too, to fit right in the trunk or backseat of your car.
Outdoor space is often at a premium, but you don’t want to sacrifice excellent heating controls or even temperature distribution. That’s why so many of these small grills come with dials and lid temperature gauges, for you to keep track of your prized burgers and steaks while infusing them with flavor before serving. Quite a few of these grills even have side shelves for added storage.
Enjoy a delicious, flavorful, and perfectly cooked summer grilled meal with friends and family by using one of these small gas grills.
Check out our epic smoker buying guide here.