Want a small espresso machine? We researched the best options and list them out here with detailed descriptions including pros and cons. Check it out.
I’ll never forget my first espresso machine.
It was awesome. Mind you, it wasn’t a small espresso machine. It was huge, but this was back in the 1990’s so the technology hadn’t advanced like it has now. Moreover, that first one was quite the automated unit.
After extensive research we put together this comprehensive guide to small espresso machine options organized by different categories.
Whenever you need that sudden boost of energy, a reliable espresso machine to keep you going. For coffee enthusiasts like me, coffee is great but espresso is a sweet bonus. Espresso is like the dark double-choco of the chocolates, the one with sprinkles and cherries among the ice creams, you get it.
Espresso machines are common in the office to give employees energy and to keep them awake during late night shifts. Wouldn’t it be nice to have your own espresso machine and brew your own espresso whenever you want?
Having an espresso machine is a delight and probably, you already have one! If you have been thinking of getting one, don’t delay it any longer. Here, let us help you out by giving you a list of the best espresso machines as reported by most consumer reviews.
Table of Contents
- Nespresso Vertuo Next Coffee and Espresso Machine with Aeroccino
- Lavazza Expert Coffee Bundle Classy Plus
- Sboly Espresso Machine with Milk Frother
- IMUSA USA GAU-18202 4 Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker
- Espresso Machines 15 Bar with Adjustable Milk Frother Wand Expresso Coffee Machine
- De’Longhi EC680M Espresso, Stainless Steel, Metallic
- NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine, Genio 2, Espresso, Cappuccino and Latte Pod Machine
- Nespresso Essenza Mini Original Espresso Machine by De’Longhi, Red
- Nespresso EN80B Original Espresso Machine by De’Longhi, 12.6 x 4.7 x 9 Inches, Black
- Nespresso Inissia Original Espresso Machine by Breville
- bonVIVO Intenca Stovetop Espresso Maker
- ChefWave Mini Espresso Machine
- Mixpresso Espresso Machine for Nespresso Compatible Capsule, Single Serve Coffee Maker
- Wacaco Minipresso NS, Portable Espresso Machine
- Wacaco Nanopresso Portable Espresso Maker
- Nespresso Machine, HOMEVER 4 in 1 Multi-Function Mini Espresso Machine
- Are espresso pods the same thing as capsules?
- Is there an espresso machine that comes with a grinder?
- What is a burr grinder?
- What does a steam wand do?
- Can a home espresso machine do the same things as a commercial espresso machine?
- How does a lever espresso machine work?
- What’s the difference between an automatic espresso machine and a semi-automatic espresso machine? What about a superautomatic espresso machine?
- Our Previous List of Favorite Small Espresso Machines
- A. Mini Espresso Machines
- B. Compact Espresso and Cappuccino Makers
- C. Espresso Machines with Carafe
- D. Stovetop Espresso Machines
- E. Programmable Espresso/Coffee Maker Machines
- E. CONCLUSION
Nespresso Vertuo Next Coffee and Espresso Machine with Aeroccino
With this coffee and espresso machine, you can enjoy a quality cup of espresso without leaving home. You can choose from four different serving sizes: Espresso, Double Espresso, Gran Lungo, and Alto. This awesome appliance uses centrifugal pressure to whip up a great-tasting cup of crema-topped coffee.
This smart espresso machine is blue-tooth enabled. If you have access to reliable wi-fi, you can update the appliance to make new flavors. Included in the box is a collection of coffee pods in assorted flavors so you can get started right away. One coffee pod is intended to yield one 7.8-ounce serving.
The machine is designed with the environment in mind. When brewing is complete, the coffee/espresso maker releases the capsule so you can recycle it. Made of aluminum, the capsule preserves the coffee’s flavor. To save energy, the appliance shuts off right away too.
And yes, an aeroccino milk frother is included, so you can have smooth milk (hot or cold) for your drink recipes.
- Aeroccino frot9her
- 4 serving sizes
- Easy operat9ion
- A few complaints that the coffee doesn’t stay hot enough. It’s recommended that you preheat the cup first.
Lavazza Expert Coffee Bundle Classy Plus
This small all-in-one espresso and coffee machine gives you six beverage selections: Espresso, Lungo, 8-ounce coffee, Latte, Cappucino, and Macchiato. This appliance includes a milk frother so you can achieve the desired flavor and consistency of your drinks.
The double-shot function gives you added versatility. You can add different creamers and flavored syrups to your beverages, and you can even add sugar to the milk during frothing. The machine’s eight-adjustment feature accommodates various drink sizes.
What customers really like about this appliance is its ease-of-use. Plus, it’s low-maintenance, making cleaning fairly simple. The machine holds up to seven used capsules, too.
One important thing to know about this espresso machine is that it is only compatible with Lavazza capsules.
- Easy to use and clean
- Milk frother included
- Only accepts Lavazza capsules
- You can’t control the temperature
Sboly Espresso Machine with Milk Frother
This machine is a convenient, compact size, but is still up to the task of blending a variety of caffeinated beverages. It fits in just about any kitchen, office, dorm room, or RV. With a quick turn of the knob, you can easily make cappuccinos, lattes and, of course, espressos. The machine yields 4 shots of espresso in just two minutes. And you can add milk froth to give your favorite beverages a creamy consistency.
The carafe is designed to hold 1-4 cups. The filter basket is even equipped with a scale so you can weigh the coffee to make sure you’re using the right quantity before you make a drink.
A few caveats about this machine:
- It can only take coarse and medium ground coffee.
- Keep the filter holder and water reservoir cap in place while the machine is brewing and immediately after. Turn the knob to the “steam” position to release residual pressure before removing any of these components.
- Don’t fill the machine past the “Max” mark on the 4-cup scale. Otherwise, it will overflow.
- Compact size
- Filter basket has a scale
- Doesn’t work with especially fine grounds, as they’ll clog the machine
IMUSA USA GAU-18202 4 Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker
This cheap espresso machine is incredibly compact but gives you coffee shop capabilities at home. The machine is simple to use, with knob settings for on, off, and steam. Five bar working pressure gives you a rich, authentic espresso. But you’re not only limited to making espressos. The milk frother makes it possible to add steamed milk, so you can make macchiatos and cappuccinos too. The four-cup carafe is designed for easy pouring. A removable filter basket is provided for espresso.
If you don’t like making a big production over clean-up, you’ll be happy to know that the machine comes with a drip tray to keep messes to a minimum.
- Compact size fits almost anywhere
- Milk frother included
- Easy to use
- A few customer complaints, but no consistent flaws were reported
Espresso Machines 15 Bar with Adjustable Milk Frother Wand Expresso Coffee Machine
This 2-in-one produces excellent espressos, as well as lattes, macchiatos, and cappuccinos. The machine uses a 15-bar imported Italian pump and high pressure to extract coffee to optimize the flavor.
What a lot of people really like about this espresso maker is the professional-grade frothing wand that rotates and adjusts the steam to bring milk to a smooth consistency that tastes great in their favorite beverages.
Another helpful feature is the double temperature system to heat coffee and milk to the appropriate settings so they blend seamlessly in a way that enhances their flavors. (For best results, steam the milk at 212°, and extract the coffee at 198°). The machine’s double-volume boiler is capable of producing greater quantities of steam and hot water than a traditional single boiler.
A double layer filter and double cup splitter give this machine the much-appreciated ability to brew 2 cups of espresso, making this appliance great for the office or any household with at least two espresso drinkers. The water reservoir (which is removable) holds 1.5 liters or a little more than 6 cups. Easy-to-use features make this appliance ideal for a brewing beginner and a seasoned barista alike.
- Easy to use
- Double temperature control
- Can make 2 cups of espresso at once.
- A few complaints about receiving the wrong model after ordering, but buyers reported positive experiences with customer service when that happened.
De’Longhi EC680M Espresso, Stainless Steel, Metallic
With this compact machine, you can bring the coffee shop right into your kitchen. The removable water reservoir makes for easy filling and cleaning. If you want to make different-sized drinks, no problem; the tray is adjustable to accommodate tall cups as well as smaller-sized ones.
The filter holder that’s included with the machine gives you even more versatility. It has a holder for one espresso shot or two espresso shots, plus another for an easy-serve espresso pod.
If you like lattes, cappuccinos, and other milk-infused beverages, you can use this mini brewer to bring your drinks to a smooth, rich, creamy consistency.
In a hurry for that espresso shot? The machine heats up in an impressive 35 seconds. And you can stop the flow during brewing if you want to pour a shot and get a jump on your caffeine fix before the extraction process is complete.
Caution: Make sure the water tank is placed properly, or it will leak. Also, be sure to clean the nozzle before you hit the steam button, or you may end up with a milk clog.
- Heats up quickly
- Manual milk frother
- The water tank can leak if not secured correctly
NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine, Genio 2, Espresso, Cappuccino and Latte Pod Machine
This modern-looking machine leaves a minimal footprint on your kitchen counter while delivering excellent espressos and other beverages. This capsule machine is designed to be the ideal fit for a single cup.
Use the LED display to select what kind of drink you want – Americano, latte, and more – as well as its strength and size. You can position the toggle stick to hot or cold to further customize how you’d like your drink.
Fifteen bars of pressure extract as much flavor as possible from your favorite grounds. Smart capsules are designed to lock in maximum freshness, so you can brew a great-tasting cup every time. A used capsule bin collects shells after brewing is complete. It’s easy to empty as needed.
Because of its small size, this machine is a popular choice for offices, break rooms, and small kitchens.
- Brews hot or cold
- Professional-grade machine
- Easy-to-use LED display
- Automatic shut off after 5 minutes of inactivity
- Only takes capsules
Nespresso Essenza Mini Original Espresso Machine by De’Longhi, Red
Weighing in at less than 4.5 lbs., this programmable machine looks like a mini-version of a compact model. It fits just about anywhere – at the office or a tiny home kitchen or dorm room. With up to 19 bars of pressure, it extracts maximum flavor to brew great-tasting espressos.
You can adjust the machine for 2 different espresso cup sizes: Espresso (1.35 ounces) and Lungo (5 ounces). One-touch controls make it really easy to program the machine to make the desired drink size.
Because it’s so small, it doesn’t require much power and is able to heat up quickly and start extracting without delay. The water reaches its optimal temperature in less than 30 seconds.
To further conserve energy and ensure safety, the machine automatically turns off after 9 minutes.
- Makes different drink sizes
- Portable machine
- Energy efficient
- No major drawbacks with this, unless you want something larger than a single-serve machine
Nespresso EN80B Original Espresso Machine by De’Longhi, 12.6 x 4.7 x 9 Inches, Black
This is a barista-grade single-serve espresso machine that is incredibly easy to use and small enough to take on the go. Its ergonomic design makes it easy to handle. Because of its compact size and impressive brewing capacity, the machine is a great addition to a breakroom, as the reservoir holds enough water (24 ounces) for 9 servings before it’s time for a refill.
The machine delivers up to 19 bars of espresso extraction for maximum flavor and brings out the best qualities of ground coffee. It works quickly to deliver great results, warming up water to the appropriate serving temperature in just 25 seconds.
To choose your drink size, select from the programmed settings for espresso and Lungo. The foldable drip tray adjusts conveniently for larger cups. To conserve energy and promote safety, the machine automatically shuts off after 9 minutes.
- Tank capacity is enough for 9 servings
- Maximum of 19 bars of pressure
- Heats quickly
- Serving size may be too small if brewing coffee capsules since coffee drink servings are typically larger than espressos.
Nespresso Inissia Original Espresso Machine by Breville
This ultra-compact machine blends your favorite drinks quickly, delivering the same quality you find at your local coffee shop. With the ability to apply up to 19 bars of pressure, this little espresso maker extracts as much flavor as possible. Water reaches the required brewing temperature in just under half a minute, so you won’t have to wait long for your espresso. The reservoir holds 20.3 ounces.
With the touch of a button, you can select your drink size: espresso or lungo. The drip tray (which is foldable for added convenience) adjusts to accommodate taller cups.
If you want to limit your carbon footprint (as well as your counterspace footprint), you’ll be happy to know that this energy-efficient appliance automatically shuts off after 9 minutes.
- Compact design
- 2 different serving sizes
- Tank size is a little smaller than some similar machines. Otherwise, there isn’t really anything bad to say about this model. An overwhelming majority of customers are satisfied with it.
bonVIVO Intenca Stovetop Espresso Maker
With its sleek, compact design, this stainless steel budget espresso machine is great for any small kitchen. Designed just for espresso lovers, this is a one-of-a-kind stovetop machine that looks like a one-of-a-kind coffee pot or kettle. it’s incredibly easy to use.
All you have to do is fill the bottom part with water, load the basket with ground coffee, and bring the machine to a boil on the stove. (It also makes a great sweet Cuban coffee maker or regular percolator). The Moka pot works with just about any stovetop (induction, gas, ceramic, electric).
The pot is relatively easy to clean. While you can put it in the dishwasher, washing by hand is recommended, as it’s gentler on the chrome finish. The manufacturer suggests cleaning it after each use.
- Easy to use
- Can be used for other brewing purposes
- Needs a stovetop to operate, so you can’t use it outside a conventional kitchen
- Some customers complained that the chrome finish came off after a relatively short time period.
ChefWave Mini Espresso Machine
This automatic espresso machine does a lot for a product of its size. It is capable of delivering up to 20 bars of pressure for a well-blended, flavor-packed espresso. You can make drink portions that are 1.35 ounces (espresso) or 3.75 ounces (lungo).
You can store up to 40 pods in the rack that’s included, and the appliance is compatible with Nespresso pods, too. Just press the button to start making your favorite brew. Water only takes 30 seconds to heat up. You can adjust the machine for different cup sizes, too.
This espresso maker is equipped with a standby mode and shuts off automatically after 2 hours. A built-in container collects used capsules.
Detachable parts are easy to clean, and the water tank is dishwasher-safe. Another aspect of this machine that makes it low-maintenance is the size of the water tank. It holds 27 ounces, so you can make several drinks before you need to refill it. The unit also comes with a drip tray to cut down on clean-up hassles.
- Large water tank
- Fast brewing
- Programmable serving size selection
- Some customers raised concerns that this product was not as durable as they expected. The vast majority of buyers, however, were satisfied.
Mixpresso Espresso Machine for Nespresso Compatible Capsule, Single Serve Coffee Maker
This mini espresso machine is designed to deliver barista-grade quality. The 19 bar pressure pump extracts maximum flavor from your favorite coffee grounds. Start brewing with one-touch controls, and your espresso is ready in 25-30 seconds. There are two sizes, Short and Long (Espresso or Lungo).
Although this appliance definitely qualifies as compact, its water tank holds 27 fl. ounces, so you can make several cups before it’s due for a refill. The water reservoir detaches for easy cleaning, too.
This model comes with a removable drip tray in case of spills.
One thing people really like about this mini machine is that it works with just about all types of coffee pods, so you’ll not be limited to using one particular brand.
To conserve energy, the mini espresso maker shuts off after one hour.
- Easy to use and clean
- Large water tank
- Compatible with nearly all types of pods
- May not accommodate cups that are taller than the 6-8-ounce cappuccino size
Wacaco Minipresso NS, Portable Espresso Machine
This miniature espresso maker is so small and easy to use, you can take it with you to the office or for travel. Despite its unbelievably compact size, it still delivers great results. To get started, all you have to do is fill the water tank, unlock the piston, and pump a few times to extract the best flavor from your ground coffee. You can use Nespresso capsules in the machine.
Its simple design minimizes messes when brewing and pouring.
This model is a popular choice for those with an on-the-go-lifestyle or who just prefer a simple machine that doesn’t require technical know-how to operate.
- Easy to operate
- Precise extraction system to optimize flavor
- May not work with some types of capsules
- Doesn’t come with any “extra” features
Wacaco Nanopresso Portable Espresso Maker
This is a newer version of the MInipresso. Like its older counterpart, it’s a manual espresso machine and great for travel. It uses a newly patented pumping system that applies 18 bars of pressure to extract the delicate flavors of your ground coffee. It uses less pressure than earlier versions to give you the best brew possible.
For optimal results, the manufacturer recommends that you use thoroughly tamped-down, finely-ground beans.
The portafilter components are easy to separate when you want to deep-clean them.
Like the older version, this one requires neither batteries nor electricity to operate, so it’s good for the environment, and you can take it anywhere.
- Easy to clean
- Uses a high level of pressure, considering its small size
- Simple to use
- Doesn’t come with any extra features
- You need to purchase accessories separately.
Nespresso Machine, HOMEVER 4 in 1 Multi-Function Mini Espresso Machine
This machine is highly versatile and compatible with most types of espresso pods. While it’s compact, the reservoir features a 27-fluid-ounce capacity, (enough for 8-12 cups) so you can make drinks for a while before it’s time to replenish it.
If you’re an espresso connoisseur, you’ll love that this machine allows you to control brewing time to achieve varying flavor intensities. High temperatures and 19 bars of pressure draw as much flavor as possible from ground beans to give you the best brew-strength possible.
But if you want your espresso or other blended drink without delay, this machine can have it ready in as little as 25 seconds. And you have two different cup sizes to choose from. If you need extra room for a taller cup, you can free up space by taking out the drip tray.
The unit’s small size means you can fit and store it anywhere – a small kitchen, RV dorm room, or office.
Another aspect people like about this appliance is its safety features. It comes with dry-burn protection and is designed not to be susceptible to blockages that prevent effective brewing.
And, if you want something low-maintenance, you will be happy to know that this model is equipped with an auto-clean mode.
- Compact design
- Good-sized water tank
- Fast brewing
- Auto-clean mode
- Works with 4 types of coffees
- Can’t accommodate especially tall cup sizes, such as 14-oz cups
Are espresso pods the same thing as capsules?
When you’re researching coffee makers, you will see many references to coffee pods and coffee capsules. So just what are they, and are they one and the same?
Capsules typically consist of a filter and coffee grounds, held in a plastic container. Pods are more like bags or pouches formed from a filter and packed with coffee grounds. The coffee-making process, and the end results, are the same no matter which you are using.
Coffee makers simply strain water through capsules and pods to brew a cup of your favorite caffeinated beverage.
One advantage of aluminum capsules is that they are recyclable, and therefore better for the environment than plastic pods.
Pods and capsules are especially helpful because they allow you to use pre-measured quantities of grounds. Also, as long as they stay sealed, they retain maximum freshness. However, all those pros come with a price; you will usually pay more for these pre-packaged portions than for a larger container of ground coffee.
Whether you use capsules or pods depends on what is compatible with your coffee maker or espresso machine.
Is there an espresso machine that comes with a grinder?
Yes. Some machines come with a grinder that is built-in. People who swear by such appliances often claim that these grinders are higher-quality than the stand-alone kind. One huge advantage of these machines is that they save you a lot of work. Your appliance will essentially store, grind, and dispense the ground beans for you.
What is a burr grinder?
A burr grinder is a “vintage” coffee grinder, something your grandparents may have used. It uses 2 abrasive surfaces that spin to grind a coffee bean to the desired powdered consistency. With these “old school” grinders, you can only pulverize a few beans at a time. However, you can adjust the distance between the abrasive components to modify the texture of the ground beans.
What does a steam wand do?
Espresso machines often come with a steam wand. The purpose of this component is to heat the milk and make it frothy. Steam wands are incorporated in the machine’s heating vessel. When you activate the “steam” setting, the wand releases steam from the vessel into the milk to give it its creamy consistency.
Can a home espresso machine do the same things as a commercial espresso machine?
Wondering if your home espresso machine can compete with the one at your local Starbucks, just on a smaller scale? There are a number of differences between commercial and domestic appliances. As you might expect, machines intended for home use consume a lot less power and have a more delicate design, and therefore don’t have the same level of durability as your average coffee shop appliance.
Commercial machines are typically made of superior materials, such as stainless steel. Even if your home appliance also boasts this metal, it probably has plastic components in it, too. Domestic kitchen appliances are less durable because they are usually treated more gently than commercial ones, and so they are designed accordingly.
How does a lever espresso machine work?
A lever machine is the same thing as a manual machine. These are “old school” devices that require you to pull down a lever rather than just press a button or two to place pressure on those espresso coffee grounds. Using these is more labor-intensive and requires a bit of tinkering to get the technique down.
The speed at which you pull the lever, and the amount of force you exert, can actually impact the strength of your brew. However, people who like to get actively involved in the espresso-making process, rather than having an automatic espresso machine do all the work for them, tend to prefer manual appliances.
What’s the difference between an automatic espresso machine and a semi-automatic espresso machine? What about a superautomatic espresso machine?
With a semiautomatic espresso machine, you just press a button to activate the electrically-powered espresso pump. But a semi-automatic machine doesn’t do all the work for you. It still falls to you to load the portafilter, tamp the grounds, and start the machine.
These gadgets allow you to control the size and amount of grounds you use. These types of machines are a staple in coffee shops and the kitchens of seasoned home baristas.
Automatic espresso machines take it a step further, meaning you don’t get to call the shots on when to stop the shot. The machine’s internal timer does that — usually after about 25-30 seconds. That means less work for you because you don’t have to monitor the espresso maker’s progress.
And you’re freed from having to decide exactly when is the ideal time to stop the shot. One drawback though, is that this upgrade denies you the opportunity to refine your espresso-making skills.
As you may have guessed, a super automatic espresso machine conveniently does everything for you: grinds the coffee, gets the portafilter and tamp ready, steams the milk, and decides when to stop the shot. While this makes these machines highly consistent, there is often no way to tweak the process if you don’t like the strength of the shots they deliver.
Our Previous List of Favorite Small Espresso Machines
A. Mini Espresso Machines
With small espresso cups, small espresso machines are logical and practical. It is also easy to use. Why need a large, bulky and space-occupying espresso machine when you can have all the same features in a smaller and more portable one? Take a look at this video:
When it comes to reliable mini espresso machines with the best reputation in customer satisfaction, here’s a list of the best brands that you should eye on:
1. NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Esperta 2 Coffee, Espresso and Cappuccino Pod Machine
The portability of this mini espresso machine is very unique, cute and innovative! It’s like a small, convenient and portable coffee vending machine in one! It can brew various type of coffee and espresso. The design is also modern and pretty to look at. It brews hot and cold coffee/espresso too! Nescafe mini espresso and coffee machine is a delight, not only due to the machine but due to the taste of the coffee pods as well. Try and taste the difference!
- Fashionable modern design.
- Can brew various hot and cold coffee/espresso mixtures.
- Easy to operate pod-style brewing.
- Compact and portable, you can take it to work.
- Machine is easy to clean.
- Pods are costly.
- This can be prone to technical difficulty.
- Needs replacement once busted. (irreparable)
- Can be prone to leaking in the long run.
2. MiniPresso GR Espresso Maker
If there’s such a word like mini-est, it is the word for this mini espresso machine by WACACO. It is so compact that you can carry it with you anytime, anywhere. Its size is just like the average tumbler size! This mini espresso is perfect for camping and mountaineering so you get you’re much needed boost when you need it!
- Very small and featherlight espresso machine.
- Easy to use and operate manually in just three steps!
- Economical and affordable. It allows you to grind and brew your own beans.
- Does not require pods and cartridges.
- Does not use electric power. It’s completely manually operated.
- The quality of espresso is not that great.
- The water is already lukewarm when your done brewing.
- With the small size, the amount of espresso you get is not even a shot, just a sip.
- Grinding beans take a lot of time and effort.
3. WACACO Minipresso NS Coffee Maker
At first glance, this looks exactly like the WACACO mini espresso machine listed above. It’s lightweight and portable. You can also carry it anywhere–even when mountaineering. The mechanism is just even better. Instead of grinding coffee beans, the operation is made easier since all you have to do is incorporate matching nespresso brand capsules. It makes an awesome travel espresso machine!
- Lightweight and portable.
- Makes espresso fast, without manually grinding cofee beans.
- Allows you to have a quick espresso anytime anywhere.
- Operation is quick and easy.
- Easy to clean and store.
- Costs you some pods/capsules to make espresso.
- Doesn’t hold enough amount of water for a satisfying espresso experience.
- Can be dangerous to use because hot water may leak to your hands when using it.
4. Nespresso Essenza Mini espresso Machine by De’Longhi
This is another portable automatic capsule/pod mini espresso maker. It conveniently creates espresso and lungo. It is cute, intuitive and easy to use. The motor power is of good quality. It easily heats up and has a high pressure that produces espresso and lungos to its optimum temperature.
- Energy-saving with its eco-mode function and automatic energy-saving function when not in use.
- It comes with a complimentary capsule tasting set that allows you to taste nespresso capsule flavors.
- It makes crema and frothy espresso in a short amount of time.
- It has all the features you’ll ever want for a great espresso machine–only that it’s tinier and more affordable.
- The capsule labels that come with it can be a little bit confusing for some.
- Costs you some pods/capsules.
B. Compact Espresso and Cappuccino Makers
Some people can’t settle for the smaller versions. These are the type of people that craves for perfection. The right aroma and taste of coffee. For them, espresso should be made using the full-size version of the espresso machine. Here’s a list of the full-size espresso and cappuccino machine that you would definitely love to keep at home–or even in your cafe shop!
1. Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
Either you have a cafe shop, or just a certified barista at heart, you would love this espresso maker from Mr.Coffee. The design is impressive and it is super easy to use! It has a single touch control panel which increases accuracy in operation. Prepare to make espresso in just three single steps–1) Choose a filter: single shot/double shot. 2) Select your coffee/espresso grounds. 3) Choose your brew.
- Easy to use and operate.
- Automatically froths milk for cappuccino and latte selection.
- The transparent water tank is removable, making it easy to clean.
- Makes espresso fast and easy.
- Easy to find replacement parts and great customer service.
- Needs meticulous maintenance for it to last over a year or two.
- Warming or curdling milk issues.
- Water reservoir can be fragile, so should be handled with care.
2. 7 Pc All-In-One Espresso/Cappuccino Machine Bundle Set
Bring home the commercial taste of coffee from your favorite coffee shops through this heavy duty espresso maker. It easily and quickly makes espresso. This is great for coffees and espresso-loving homes as well. You never have to leave the house to enjoy your favorite espresso blend any longer.
- Starting machine is quick–45 seconds is all it takes!
- It has a coffee bean grinder plugin so you can roast/brew your natural coffee beans and enjoy the espresso taste and aroma even without the availability of capsules or pods.
- The removable water tank is transparent so you can easily check water levels and cleanliness of water.
- It regulates heat and pressure automatically as one of its safety features.
- Removable drip tray makes it easy to clean.
- Filters are prone to rust in the long run.
- Questionable hardware for the steam function.
- Some consumers believe that the shots taste more like coffee than espresso. (Not strong enough for the espresso level).
- Not so durable for long-term espresso making.
3. De’Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
Of all the regular-sized espresso makers, this one is the slimmest and sleekest. The appearance is simple yet modern, and not very bulky at all. The operation is also easy because it has two thermostat–allowing you to control the water temperature and steam pressure separately and more more accurately. The dual function filter holder also allows you to brew coffee either by using ground coffee or capsule/pods.
- Swivel jet frother makes frothy crema for you to enjoy p and latte blends.
- Accurate control of the two thermostats give you espresso at their optimum serving temperature.
- Built to last long.
- Affordable price.
- Easy to use and operate with brews like a pro!
- It allows you to brew cup after cup without waiting since it retains optimum temperature.
- Noisy and vibrates so much.
- Some consumers reported that it heats up very small amount of water so its inconvenient having to fill and refill each time.
- Some reported that newer models made in China has lower quality and durability.
C. Espresso Machines with Carafe
Carafe type espresso machines are very much recommended for families who love to enjoy espresso and coffees together. Each brew, you get a large amount of espresso or coffee so you can serve it for the entire family!
1. Cuisinart DCC-1150BK 10-Cup Classic Thermal Programmable Coffeemaker
This espresso maker is not bulky at all, and it perfectly brews espresso in a carafe–ready to serve anytime! It doesn’t occupy much space in your counter. It is quite safe as well because the walls and surface are highly insulated so you won’t have to worry about accidentally touching it anytime.
- It comes with water filter that gets rid of chlorine, rust and other dirt particles in the water so you get safe water for your coffee and you get pure taste of the coffee without any addition of unwanted particles.
- Nothing will be wasted since it has 1-4 cup settings so you can serve for yourself or the entire family according to your needs.
- Programmable brewing settings and it can remember the last brewing setting so you can brew more cups conveniently.
- Makes delicious coffee and espresso fast!
- Brewing coffee is messy because water is splattered everywhere.
- It can’t retain hot temperature long.
- Some consumers reported some water from the machine tastes like plastic.
2. Ninja Coffee Bar Brewer with Glass Carafe
This espresso maker has two types of carafe that goes with it. One taller and one smaller. You can choose between the two depending on the number of servings that you want to make. Unlike typical espresso makers, this makes brewing more espressos easier and faster. The design and operation of this espresso maker is also modern and premium. Selection of brew type is also easy with the soft touch buttons.
- This espresso maker allows you to select your serving size.
- It has pre-set buttons for easy selection of espresso brewing.
- Unlike other espresso makers, this one comes with a heating plate so the optimum espresso and coffee temperature is retained.
- Plenty of brew selection to choose from, iced or cold.
- This machine creates commercial-tasting espressos and coffees.
- In the long run, the “clean” button won’t turn off.
- More expensive than other brands.
- Some durability and quality issues.
- Has the tendency to leak.
3. Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Switch Coffee Maker
This small appliance is more familiar in the common modern households. It looks like your good old coffee maker that we all saw in our households or offices. Yes, this model can also brew espressos and you won’t be having a hard time operating it because it is easy and almost intuitive.
- It has an auto-pause grab a cup mechanism so you can stop or pause the brewing process so you can already take a sip on your cup.
- Filter basket is removable and easy to clean.
- It has windows which allow you to view water levels so you won’t accidentally overflow it.
- Warming plate keeps your coffee or espresso warm.
- Not bulky, so it doesn’t occupy much counter space.
- Quality issues.
- Some consumer claims that the temperature that goes out of the machine is not hot enough.
D. Stovetop Espresso Machines
Stovetop espresso machines, otherwise known as Moka Pots, are pots (electric or regular pots) that make espressos by making steam from boiling water to create steam pressure. They are small pots/pitchers that doesn’t take much space in the counter. You can simply put them in one of your kitchen cabinets hen not in use. This is ideal for people who love making espressos the traditional way and those with small kitchen spaces.
1. The Original Bialetti Moka Express Made in Italy 3-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker with Patented Valve
This looks like a traditional Moka pot, only it looks more premium and modern with its polished aluminum finish. This product from Bialetti Italy doesn’t just promise quality. It is also affordable. The products has many color and size variations as well to suit your needs.
- Small and portable.
- High quality polished aluminum finish with a beautiful hexagonal design.
- Simple and easy to use.
- Affordable espresso maker without the use of electricity.
- Takes some time to primary the brewing process to your desire perfection.
- Dishwashers can dull the polished aluminum finish.
- Some consumers claim that it doesn’t actually brew espresso, but somewhere between espresso and coffee, thus the term mokka for moka pots.
2. Delonghi EMK6 Alicia Electric Moka Espresso Coffee Maker
This is the more modern version of Moka pots. It is automatic but still lightweight and portable. You don’t need a stove for brewing using this moka pot but rather, it uses electricity. The design is more modern, yet still has the classic touch on it.
- It has the automatic shut off and keep warm function. Sounds familiar? Pretty much how a rice cooker operates. So, you wouldn’t have to stand there near the machine for some minutes in order to make espresso.
- Easy to serve with its cordless operation and detachable base.
- The coffee container is also transparent so you can easily watch over the brewing process.
- Brews quickly and conveniently.
- Easy to use and operate.
- Espresso comes out fine and you can also use it to make crema as well.
- Some consumer may not be familiar with the moka type brewing operation.
- Can’t make enough amount of espresso like the manual type and other espresso making machines with carafe.
3. Stove Top Aluminum Espresso Maker
If you are a little tight on budget, this moka pot/stovetop espresso machine would be great for you. Like the other pots mentioned in this section, it doesn’t need much space in your counter and you can store it inside your kitchen cabinets when not in use. It has a solid aluminum finish.
- One of the most affordable small espresso making machines in the list.
- You can take it with you when you travel.
- It is easy to use and operate once you get the hang of it.
- You can make the most out of your grinds since this can make a second cup out of it.
- The aluminum finish is not polished and doesn’t look premium.
- Some consumers find it too small for all their espresso serving needs.
E. Programmable Espresso/Coffee Maker Machines
One thing that is not so convenient in making espressos in the past is that you have to stay by the espresso machine for few minutes waiting for it to be done. You have to watch over the brewing process–or else, the outcome or the taste of the espresso will offer. Not anymore! Thanks to technology and innovation, we now can just push few buttons and relax while waiting for our espresso to be brewed because of programmable espresso/coffee makers! Here are some of them:
1. Cuisinart CHW-14 Coffee Plus 10-Cup Thermal Programmable Coffeemaker and Hot Water System
This espresso/coffee maker is ideal for cafes and in your households too! It can make a lot of serving, because not only it is automatic and programmable, it also has a carafe, so you can make as much as you want and keep it warm for the rest of the family and friends to enjoy! You’ll love its various functions–especially the hot-water-on-demand feature where it gives you hot water to use for tea, chocolate, and many more!
- Premium modern design.
- It has the brew pause feature which allows you to get a cup of espresso without waiting for the entire carafe to brew.
- Has the hot water dispenser function which is perfect for serving tea,hot milk, hot choco, oatmeal and many more!
- Easy and convenient to use operation!
- LCD displays water level and water ready.
- You can adjust the carafe’s KEEP WARM temperature to match your taste and preference.
- Quiet brewing.
- Like other programmable and advanced appliances, they are prone to some technical issues in the long run.
- Coffee/Espresso pot has the tendency to leak.
- Some consumers reported plastic taste in the first few uses.
- Made of plastic.
2. Cuisinart DCC-3200 14-Cup Glass Carafe with Stainless Steel Handle Programmable Coffeemaker
This is one of the modern automatic and programmable espresso machines that is beautifully and thoughtfully crafted. The control panel has 5 big buttons and other features like tone and carafe temperature are around the LED display–so operation is intuitive and it’s easy to familiarize yourself on all the pre-set programs. It looks so modern and premium but not overwhelming at all!
- State of the art technology and design that is not overwhelming for first-time users.
- Allows you to select strength of your coffee/espresso.
- It is fully automatic and programmability is up to 24 hrs–perfect for home and commercial use!
- Has self-cleaning feature which makes it a low maintenance espresso machine.
- Keep warm temperature is adjustable.
- Makes flavorful espresso and coffee.
- Like other automatic machines, this can be prone to some technical problems.
- Few consumers reported quality issues.
When it comes to making espresso, espresso lovers has various preference in the process of doing it. Some would prefer manual and traditional style and others would prefer convenience. This is exactly the reason why manufacturers are still keeping traditional espresso machines and just updating it when there are tons of newer and more innovative appliances. How about you? How would you like to make your espresso?