Recliner chairs may have had its inspiration from the luxurious daybeds and chaise lounges, but it was medical device companies in the 19th century that invented the earliest consumer recliners. These chairs had reclining mechanisms that were advertised to promote health. It was only in the early 1900s that recliners were advertised for relaxation. The chairs then featured side panels and attachments for tables, a reading desk and electric lights.
Then in 1928, a certain brand for a reclining wooden bench was born. It was the invention of the La-Z Boy’s first recliner chair. The chairs eventually took off when they replaced the wooden model with upholstery.
Table of Contents
- A. Push-Back Reclining Chairs
- B. Wall Hugger
- C. Massaging
- D. Leather Reclining Chairs
- E. Faux Leather Reclining Chairs
- F. Microfiber Reclining Chairs
A. Push-Back Reclining Chairs
1. Nathaniel Home Recliner
This faux leather recliner makes it very easy to get comfortable in your home. It’s simple to push it back into a reclining position and the comfortable padding makes it the best seat in the house. With a solid wood frame, this chair will last for a long time without being damaged, no matter how many people prefer to use it. It’s ideal for smaller homes and can easily tuck into a little space in your home without taking up too much precious room.
- It is easy to assemble.
- The faux leather looks great without a high price tag.
- It is very small and may not be comfortable for larger adults.
- Sitting or leaning heavily on the arms can cause damage to the chair.
2. Dorel Living Pushback Recliner
This beige recliner is as comfortable as it is stylish and looks great in both contemporary and more traditional homes, thanks to its crisp fabric and sharp lines. It will easily push back into a number of different positions so that everyone in your home can find his or her ideal position. There are no levers to pull and the smooth movement makes it easy to operate.
- It is easy to assemble and relatively light to move around the room.
- Arms aren’t tall enough to offer enough support if you need to lean on them.
B. Wall Hugger
3. Millicent Wall Hugger
This manual recliner helps provide extra seating in your home without taking up a lot of space when it is in a reclining position. There are a number of available colors so you can easily match the chair to the rest of the décor in your home. Filled with a coil support and fiber and foam stuffing, they offer unmatched comfort for seating and reclining. The handle is very easy to operate and ensures that everyone can use the chair without problems.
- It saves a lot of space while offering extended room for your legs.
- It is very easy to assemble.
- Arm pads are too low to be comfortable.
- This chair is rather narrow in width, making it uncomfortable for some users.
4. ProLounger Recliner
This wall-hugging reclining chair only needs four inches in clearance from the wall for it to be able to operate. This makes it ideal in small homes as it won’t take up nearly as much space. The upholstery is microfiber, which makes it very easy to wipe the chair clean when it gets dirty, and the comfortable arms are pillow-top so you can lean on them. The lever is similar to what opens a car door, which is much easier to use than traditional levers that have to be pulled straight up in order to recline the chair.
- The dark color of the fabric helps hides stains and spills.
- The microfiber has an odd smell and can irritate allergies.
- The seat is not very wide.
5. HomCom Heated Reclining Massage Chair
While this reclining chair looks very traditional, it offers a comfortable place to sit because it will heat and massage the person in the chair. There are four different massage points in the chair to ensure maximum comfort from head to foot and the faux suede upholstery is very soft and available in a number of colors.
- The massaging feature is not loud so you can use it at any time.
- It is a reasonable price for a chair with multiple functions.
- The arms are not very comfortable and sitting up straight can be uncomfortable after a period of time.
6. VidlXl Recliner Massaging Chair
This reclining chair has been ergonomically designed to ensure that you are comfortable while using it. With thick padding all over the chair and ten separate massage nodes, you will feel supported while getting your massage. You can easily adjust how long you want the massage to last, depending on your preference, and even opt for heat treatment to help ease any tension that you are holding in your body. Not only a great way to relax at the end of a day, this chair is comfortable enough to sit in while you read or watch TV.
- The faux leather is easy to wipe clean.
- It comes with a remote control for easy use.
- It can be difficult to put together.
D. Leather Reclining Chairs
7. Leather Reclining Chair
Available in chocolate brown and brown, this leather recliner is as attractive as it is comfortable. With wooden legs, decorative stitching, and a side pocket to make storing your remote or magazine easy, this recliner has everything that you could want. While not a very deep chair, it does offer enough space for you to lean back when you have reclined the chair and will give you plenty of support to sit and watch TV or read a book. The reclining mechanism is very easy to use and can be operated by both small children as well as the elderly without too much hassle, making it easy not only to recline, but also to sit back up without help.
- The slimmer profile ensures that the chair won’t take up too much space in the home.
- It is fairly easy to put together.
- It is not very comfortable to sit in for an extended period of time
E. Faux Leather Reclining Chairs
8. Ardith Recliner
This manual recliner is very streamlined and ideal for smaller homes due to its slim shape and size. You will be able to recline up to 160 degrees and everyone up to 250 pounds can enjoy sitting in this chair. The faux leather looks great and is very easy to clean so you never have to worry about spills damaging the surface. Opting for a neutral recliner such as this one will ensure that your new chair will fit seamlessly into your home color scheme. This recliner looks very modern, thanks to its sharp lines and small legs, which will definitely make it stand out from the rest of the furniture in your home.
- This multi-position recliner makes it easy to get comfortable in any position.
- Arms are not very comfortable to lean on and do not offer a lot of padding.
- It is shorter than it appears in pictures, which may be uncomfortable to sit in.
9. Samedi Reclining Chair
This deep brown chair features faux leather and a strong solid wood frame so you don’t have to worry about accidentally damaging the chair when you are using it. The contemporary appearance of the chair means that it will work well in a number of homes. The modern lines on the chair complement the appearance of the faux leather and the tall back offers enough space for you to lean back comfortably when you are reclining.
- The handle makes it very easy to push this chair back into a reclining position.
- The chair is very heavy and bulky and can be difficult to move on your own.
F. Microfiber Reclining Chairs
10. Meade Recliner
Microfiber is always a great choice if you have a busy family who enjoys using furniture and even eating while they sit on it. Spills on the chair can quickly be wiped up with a damp towel and will not leave behind a stain. This durable chair is not only very easy to clean but is incredibly comfortable, thanks to the pocket coils inside as well as the lumbar support. The footrest reclines in the same line as the seat, making it very easy to recline and allowing the user to fully relax.
- There is plenty of room in the chair for even tall users.
- It is easy to assemble and comes in just four parts.
- The back of the chair is shorter than other options, making it uncomfortable for tall users.
11. Nathaniel Home Recliner
This reclining chair is available in both chocolate and blue microfiber, making it ideal to fit right into your décor or to add a pop of color. It has a very sturdy frame as well as plenty of padding on the headrest and the arms for ultimate comfort. The side lift handle is very easy to operate and, thanks to the microfiber upholstery, the chair is relatively easy to clean if something spills on it. In addition, while you will need to pull the chair out from the wall a few inches to be able to recline it, it doesn’t require as much space as some other options do, making it ideal for smaller homes or tight spaces.
- Since the recliner doesn’t rock, you won’t have to worry about needing additional space for it.
- It’s difficult to get in and out of the chair.
- The back is short, making it uncomfortable to recline fully.