While mint can be a helpful homeopathic remedy for things like sinus pressure, nausea, or indigestion, most people think of mint as a delicious food flavoring that pairs perfectly with chocolate. This recipe for Peppermint Cheesecake features rich chocolate along with a creamy, mint flavored cheesecake.
While mint is a naturally growing plant that is native to the Middle East and Europe, it can currently be found in almost any place where plants grow. In fact, in many areas, mint is known as a weed because it spreads so easily. Before modern medicine created better treatments, the mint was used to treat all sorts of digestive and health complaints.
Peppermint Cheesecake Recipe
- 9-Inch Springform Pan
- Zip-Top Bag
- Rolling Pin
- Food Processor
- Measuring Cup
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- 9 pcs Graham Crackers
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Melted Butter
- 16 ounces Cream Cheese softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- ⅓ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Mint Extract
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 3 pcs Eggs
- 1 cup Crushed Peppermint Candies divided
- Red Food Coloring optional
Chocolate Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup Crushed Peppermint Candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a nine-inch springform pan.
- Place the graham crackers into a sturdy zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Alternately, you can use a food processor or blender and pulse the graham crackers until they are crushed finely.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs in a nine-inch springform pan and stir in the sugar. Add the melted butter to the mixture and use a fork to mix the butter into the crumbs until they are fully combined.
- Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press the graham cracker crumb mixture into the pan. Set the crust aside to begin working on the cheesecake filling.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and mix again until the sugar is dissolved. Next, beat in the sour cream and heavy cream, mixing well. Add the flour and mix again. Beat the eggs into the batter one at a time.
- Use a rubber spatula to mix in the vanilla and mint extracts. If you want to add a few drops of red food coloring to make for a pink cake, feel free to add that now.
- Add half of the crushed peppermint candies and fold them into the batter. Reserve the remaining peppermint candies to use as a topping when you serve the cake. As you stir, you should just mix the batter until it is fully incorporated. If the peppermint candies begin to dissolve and streak in the batter, stop mixing.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared crust with a rubber spatula. Smooth the top.
- Bake the cheesecake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until the edges are just lightly browned and the middle is somewhat set. The center should still be slightly jiggly, however, when you move the pan. Turn off the oven and let the pan cool in the oven for about half an hour, cracking the oven door slightly to allow the warm air to escape.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool on the stovetop for about an hour. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate the cake for at least four hours or overnight.
- About 20 minutes before you serve the cake, remove the cake from the refrigerator and place it on the countertop, removing the aluminum foil.
- Place the one cup of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave the chocolate chips for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolate chips and then microwave them again for another thirty seconds. Stir the chocolate chips again. If the chocolate chips are not melty, microwave them again in 10 to 15-second bursts, stirring in between.
- When the chocolate chips are melted, drizzle the melted chocolate over the cheesecake, using a spatula to smooth the top. Sprinkle the reserved peppermint candies over the top of the melted chocolate.
- Let the cheesecake sit for about 10 to 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to set up a little bit. Remove the sides of the springform pan, cut the cake into slices, and serve.