Whether you need an appetizer recipe for a party, a filling for tortillas for the kids to snack on, or a casserole style dish for dinner, this recipe for One Dish Queso Chicken can be adapted for whatever you want. It's quick, easy, and tasty enough for everyone to enjoy.
One Dish Queso Chicken consists of a creamy base studded with tomatoes, peppers, and shredded chicken. This mixture can be used in one of three ways. First, if you need an appetizer for sports viewing party or a holiday luncheon, you can drain out part of the liquid that is in the can of tomatoes before you incorporate it into the dish.
This will make the mixture thick and chunky, the perfect texture for dips for tortilla chips or pita chips. You can keep it warm in a slow cooker if you want a warm dip, or you can prepare it ahead of time and refrigerate it for a cold dip. This dip is delicious either cold or hot.
One Dish Queso Chicken Recipe
- 2-Quart Casserole Dish
- Small saucepan
- Cutting Board
- 8 ounces Block of Cream Cheese softened
- 10 ounces Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies from a can
- 8 pcs Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders
- 4 ounces Chopped Green Chili Peppers from a can
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 cups Cooked Rice or Noodles Optional if you’re serving this as a casserole
- 1 package White Flour Tortillas Optional if you’re using this as a tortilla filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Place the chicken tenders in a small saucepan and cover them with water. Put the saucepan on the stove and turn it to medium-high heat. When the pot comes to a full rolling boil, cover the pot with the lid and turn the heat off under the pan. Set a timer for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the dish. Cut the cream cheese into 1-inch squares on a cutting board. Set this aside.
- If you are making this dish as a dip, drain almost all of the juice from the diced tomatoes and green chilies. You can leave about 2 tablespoons of juice in the can. If you’re making the other two versions of the recipe, do not drain the tomatoes at all.
- Put the tomatoes in the casserole and stir the can of chopped green chilies into the tomatoes. You do not have to drain the chili peppers. Stir in the cumin and the garlic powder. Put the cubes of cream cheese on top of the tomatoes and peppers in the casserole dish.
- Bake the dish for about 10 or 15 minutes in the oven. Remove it from the oven and stir the queso until the cream cheese combines in a creamy mass with the tomatoes.
- When the timer is up for the chicken, remove it from the pot of water and set it on a plate to cool until you can shred the chicken. Shred the chicken and stir it into the tomato mixture.
- Top the mixture with the cheese and bake for about 15 more minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve with rice or pasta for a casserole meal, spread on tortillas and roll them up for a snack, or serve with tortilla chips as a dip.
Slow Cooker Version:
- Cook the chicken as described above. Mix the chicken, tomatoes, spices, and chili peppers as described above, except put them in a small slow cooker instead of a casserole dish. Add the cream cheese cut into cubes and set the slow cooker to high heat.
- Let it cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the cream cheese is soft enough to be stirred into the mixture. Stir the cream cheese into the recipe and turn the slow cooker to warm. Serve as directed above.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese