Combining the flavors of cinnamon and apples along with the nutrition of oatmeal, this breakfast bake gives you a fairly healthy, not too sweet option for breakfast. Rather than cinnamon rolls or pancakes, with this recipe, you can give your family a home-baked breakfast that you can feel good about.
Our recipe starts by putting old-fashioned oatmeal in a blender or food processor and pulsing it to change its texture.This takes the oatmeal from a gritty cereal to something that resembles flour. This will allow the breakfast bake to be a little more fluffy, while still including the goodness and nutrition of oatmeal.
Did you know that oats are among the healthiest grains available on the planet? Oats are a good source of fiber and healthy carbohydrates. They also have many vitamins and minerals that the human body can put to good use. Only a half a cup of oatmeal has almost 200 percent of the RDA of manganese and 41 percent of the RDA of phosphorus. Oatmeal also is a great source of minerals like copper, zinc, magnesium, iron, and folate.
Oatmeal Apple Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 9 inch Square Pan
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Food Processor or Blender
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Wire whisk
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Cooking Apples peeled, cored and sliced into cubes (about 3 large apples)
- ¼ cup Old-Fashioned Oatmeal
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 pc Large Egg
- ⅛ cup Apple Juice or Water
- ⅔ cup Pecans finely chopped
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray or lightly grease it with a coating of cooking oil.
- Put your apples into a medium-sized mixing bowl and drizzle the lemon juice over them, tossing them with a spoon to coat them in juice to prevent their browning.
- Put the oats in a food processor or a blender and pulse the oatmeal until it is the consistency of cornmeal. Place the oatmeal in a small mixing bowl and add the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon to this, stirring them to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and the sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you mix. Add the eggs, beating the mixture well.
- Add half of the flour and oatmeal mixture, gently stirring to combine. Then add the apple juice. Stir again to combine and then add the remainder of the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the apples and half of the pecans.
- Scrape this mixture into the prepared baking pan with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Top the cake with the rest of the pecans and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Use a wire whisk to whisk the powdered sugar with the milk to create a glaze that you can drizzle over the cooled cake. Slice the cake into squares and serve.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese