Loaded with the familiar flavors of cheese, cornbread, and tacos, this recipe for Mexican Cornbread Casserole is an unusual twist on your favorite Taco Tuesday meal. This casserole comes together quickly and can remake leftovers into a new and exciting dish that kids and adults alike will enjoy.
Kids who won’t eat anything different or new can be incredibly frustrating for parents. Everyone knows that kids need to eat a varied diet and learn to try new things, but children are smart and can be incredibly stubborn about what they do and do not want to eat. Smart parents know that you have to have a few tricks up your sleeve to get a picky child to try something new.
Instead of arguing about what a kid eats for dinner, parents can try presenting familiar flavors to their children in unusual formats. Often, this allows the child to experience a tiny taste or two of a new texture or flavor without realizing what the parent is really up to. This recipe for Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a perfect dish to help try to expand the palate of a picky child.
Mexican Cornbread Casserole Recipe
- Casserole Dish
- Medium-Sized Bowl
Base Layer Ingredients
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 15 ounces Tomatoes with Diced Chilis from a can
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
Cornbread Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup Cornmeal Mix
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- 1 pc Egg
- 1/2 can Cream Style Corn
- 1 cup Buttermilk you can use regular milk if you don’t have buttermilk on hand
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. A 9 by 13 pan will work just fine if that’s what you have on hand.
- Brown the ground beef and chop it into small bits.
- Drain the fat and place it in the prepared casserole dish.
- Stir in the seasonings and the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. Stir well to make sure that the seasonings are fully incorporated.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cornmeal mix, egg, oil, and buttermilk.
- Stir in the cream style corn.
- Spread the cornbread mixture over the top of the meat and tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the whole casserole.
- Place the casserole in the center of the preheated oven and bake it for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for ten to fifteen minutes. Serve in large bowls.
- Store the leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- To reheat, place each serving into an oven-safe dish and heat in the oven at 350 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes. You can use the microwave, but often the cornbread topping gets chewy and hard when microwaved.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese