Is yellow squash from your garden taking over your kitchen? If you are looking for a new and interesting way to prepare yellow crookneck squash from your garden, we have a tasty recipe called Lemon and Yellow Squash Quick bread that you may want to try.
Many have discovered a love of gardening and one favorite, the easy-to-grow veggie is yellow crookneck squash. These veggies grow well in almost any climate and, when they finally start to produce, will yield dozens of cheerful yellow squashes. Many people love to eat squash fried or broiled or even in casseroles.
However, there are only so many times that you can serve yellow squash before the family starts to rebel. If you have summer squash piling up in your kitchen, we have a new way of using these veggies with our recipe for Lemon and Yellow Squash Quick Bread.
Lemon and Yellow Squash Quick Bread Recipe
- Two 8 x 4 Inch Loaf Pans
- Box Grater
- Medium-Sized Microwave-Safe Mixing Bowl
- Wire whisk
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- 2 pcs Medium-Sized Yellow Summer Crookneck Squash
- 2¼ cups Granulated Sugar
- Zest of One Lemon
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 sticks Butter
- 3 pcs Eggs
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8 by 4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray or grease them with a paper towel dipped in shortening or cooking oil.
- Wash the squash very well and dry them. Using a box grater, shred the squash, leaving the skin on. Place the shredded flesh in a colander and lightly press it to remove any excess moisture. You can also use a paper towel to press on the squash to absorb extra wetness from the squash. Set the colander in the sink to drain as you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Microwave the two sticks of butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe mixing bowl for about 30 seconds. Stir the butter, breaking up any lumps with a spoon. Return it to the microwave for about 20 seconds. If the butter isn’t melted by now, microwave it in 10-second bursts, stirring after each time you remove it from the microwave.
- When the butter is fully melted, add the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Use a wire whisk to add the eggs one at a time, whisking until the eggs are fully incorporated.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until they are fully incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl that contains the butter and egg mixture. Stir it quickly together, but take care not to overbeat the batter.
- Use a wooden spoon to add the shredded squash to the batter. Stir it all together, just until incorporated. Divide the batter between the two baking pans.
- Place the bread into the center of the oven and bake the loaves for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and allow the loaves to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pan. Let the loaves cool on a plate. Slice the bread and serve.
- Wrap leftovers tightly in aluminum foil and store them in the refrigerator. This bread also can be frozen. To thaw frozen bread, just put it in the refrigerator overnight before you intend to serve it.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese