Messing up only one skillet, skillet meals include meat, veggies, and a starch all together in one pan in a savory sauce. Our recipe for Italian Sausage and Rice Skillet Dinner cooks up quickly and easily in a skillet with a lid. Your family will love the tomato based sauce.
One of the most useful pieces of cookware in the kitchen, a skillet can be used for many different things. One can use it for browning meat, like a baking pan in the oven, or for sautéing vegetables. Additionally, in a pinch, one can use it for cooking rice or pasta. If you only have money enough to buy one quality piece of cookware, buy the best skillet that you can afford.
You will find it money well spent. One useful application of the handy kitchen skillet is to make a one-dish meal for the family. One dish meals typically include meat, some diced vegetables, pasta or rice, and some delicious seasonings in a tasty sauce.
Italian Sausage and Rice Skillet Dinner Recipe
- Large skillet
- Tight-Fitting Lid
- Heatproof Container
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 pc Bell Pepper whatever color you prefer
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 1½ cups Chicken Broth
- 15 ounces Fire-Roasted Tomatoes in their Juices from a can
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- Parmesan Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese optional toppings
- In a large skillet that has a tightly fitting lid, over medium heat, heat one tablespoon of the olive oil. The oil is hot enough when it sizzles if you flick a drop of water into it.
- Brown the Italian sausage, chopping it with a spatula into small bits. Drain any excess grease from the pan into a heatproof container to discard later.
- As the meat is cooking, wash, core, and chop the bell pepper into small pieces. You want the pieces of bell pepper to be about a half-inch square.
- Remove the meat from the pan, placing it in a dish, and heat the other tablespoon of oil over medium heat until it is hot. Add the bell peppers and sauté them until they are lightly browned. This should take between 3 and 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, the garlic, and the pinch of red pepper flakes, coating the rice with the oil as you stir. Cook this mixture for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add the canned tomatoes with the juice and the chicken broth, stirring to combine. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. When it boils, turn the heat down to a very low simmer and put the lid on the pan.
- Let the pan simmer undisturbed for about 15 minutes. Don’t lift the lid, and there is no need to stir. The rice will cook perfectly with the steam trapped in the pan.
- After the time is over, turn the heat off on the stovetop and remove the lid. Stir the cooked Italian Sausage into the rice mixture, sprinkle the dish with parsley, and serve it in bowls with spoons. If your family loves cheese, you can sprinkle each bowl of the rice mixture with Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese.