Honey not only provides sweetness, it also makes baked goods moist and helps them stay fresh longer. Our recipe for Honey Whole Wheat Bread is delicious, moist, and keeps longer than many other bread recipes. We also include bread machine instructions to make it easy for you to bake it..
Many people do not care for whole wheat bread because, to them, it is dry, too dense, and unappealing. Despite the fact that they know that whole wheat bread is better than white bread, they just cannot get past the texture and taste issue. If you have a family member who feels this way, maybe you should try this bread recipe. Our recipe includes whole wheat flour, but the texture is soft and moist. With just a touch of sweetness, we think that many former whole wheat bread haters will enjoy this loaf of delicious bread.
Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Wooden Spoon
- Dish Towel
- Loaf Pan
- 1½ cups Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Softened Butter
- ½ cup Honey
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Instant Coffee Crystals
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 package Yeast
- Cooking Oil to grease the bowl and baking pans
- ¼ cup Old-Fashioned Oats
- In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook, dissolve the yeast in the water. Stir the honey into the mixture and let it sit for about 15 minutes until it is foamy.
- Add 2 of the 3 cups of all-purpose flour and all the whole wheat flour along with the white sugar and instant coffee crystals. Add the salt.
- Set the oats aside for later.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and combine the ingredients. If you are not using an electric mixer, stir these ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- If the ingredients are still very sticky, add another half cup of all-purpose flour. Turn the mixer up to speed to knead the dough, adding a little of the flour at a time to make a solid dough. Knead the dough for about 6 or 7 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic, and it sticks together in a nice ball.
- If you’re not using a stand mixer, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the bread, pounding it and turning it for 8 to 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and pour a couple of tablespoons of oil in and around the edges of the ball of dough, turning the dough in the bowl until it is lightly coated all over in cooking oil.
- Set the bread bowl in a warm place to rise, covered with a clean dish towel. Let the dough rise for about 60 to 90 minutes until it is doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading it lightly and shaping it into an oblong log.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Grease two 9 by 4 loaf pans with cooking spray or by dipping a paper towel in cooking oil and rubbing it in the inside of the pan.
- Place each half of the dough in the pans and stretch it out to fill the pans. Cover these with a clean dishtowel and let it rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour, until doubled.
- Turn on your oven to 350 degrees.
- Scatter half of the oats on the top surface of the bread loaves.
- Bake the loaves in the center of the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the loaves are lightly golden brown.
- Let the bread cool in the pans for about 20 minutes before removing them from the pans. Let the loaves cool again on a wire rack for another 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve warm or cool. To store, wrap the loaves tightly in aluminum foil and store in a cool place for up to 5 days.
- Bread machine instructions: For this recipe, you will only need half of the oats. Put the water, butter, and honey in the bottom of the bread machine pan. Top these with the flours, sugar, coffee, and salt. Make a well on the top of the dry ingredients, and sprinkle the yeast in the well. Start the bread machine, putting it on the two pound loaf setting. After the second rise but before the bread is baked, sprinkle the top of the loaf with the oats. Allow the machine to complete the baking, remove the pan from the bread machine and serve it.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese