You can buy all sorts of sauces and dressings at the grocery store. The shelves are filled with many kinds, including sweet, spicy, and savory. But did you know that making your own homemade sauces for cooking meats is actually very easy and much, much less expensive than buying pre-made sauces? The great thing about making your own sauces is that you are in control of the flavors in the sauce. Additionally, manufactured sauces typically have greater levels of salt and sugar than homemade sauces. If you are careful about the food that you put in your body, learning to make homemade sauces will give you greater control over the things that you eat. Our recipe for Honey Garlic Chicken has a tasty sauce that you will love.
Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Large Plate
- Large skillet
- Medium-Sized Saucepan
- 6 pcs Chicken Breasts or 10 Chicken Tenders thawed and pounded thin between 2 sheets of plastic wrap
- Oil for Cooking
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- ⅓ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Water or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- Set the chicken on a plate and sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and the garlic powder.
- Place two tablespoons of cooking oil in a large skillet and heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Put the chicken in the pan and sear the chicken until it is golden brown, turning it to brown both sides of the meat. Cover the skillet with a tightly fitting lid and cook the chicken for another 10 minutes to ensure it is completely cooked.
- Remove the lid and drain all but a tablespoon of the oil and liquid from the pan. Sprinkle the garlic over the bottom of the pan in between the chicken pieces. Let the garlic cook for about 30 seconds until it is golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the honey, water or broth, vinegar, and soy sauce. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook the sauce for about 3 or 4 minutes until it reduces down to a slightly thickened fragrant sauce. Add the parsley and stir to combine.
- Serve the chicken in bowls over rice with steamed vegetables, spooning the sauce over everything.
- To make the sauce separately: Heat a teaspoon of oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat and sautee the minced garlic until it is a golden brown color. Add the chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, and parsley. Cook the sauce for about 4 or 5 minutes, or until it is slightly thickened. Use the sauce to baste chicken with a brush as you grill it. You can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator in a jar with a tightly fitting lid for up to a week. You can double the recipe if you plan on making plenty of chicken or if you like chicken with lots of extra sauce.