The herbal flavors of the gin are complemented beautifully by the bright intensity of fresh basil. This is a cocktail to try with lots of different types of gin to find what notes are best brought out with what herbs. You can even go crazy and try making a basil syrup to really intensify the flavor. Serve in a rocks glass or tall glass (like a collins).
Gin Basil Smash Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz dry gin
- 1 oz lime juice
- ¾ oz simple syrup
- basil leaves
- Lime wheel
- Muddle basil, simple syrup, and lime juice in a shaker
- Add gin and ice
- Shake vigorously until chilled
- Double-strain (or single-strain if you like thebasil floaters) over fresh ice
- Garnish with a basil sprig anda lime wheel
- Serve and enjoy
- An instant classic for basil lovers. The flavor of the herb is central in this drink and adds another dimension to how refreshing it is.
- I like to give my basil a little slap before I put it on the drink as a garnish – slapping it forces some oils to the surface and makes the aroma very strong.
Related: All Gin Cocktails Recipes