Learning to bake delicious foods that are gluten free does take some time, but if you are baking for someone with these sensitivities, it will definitely be worth it. Our recipe for Flourless Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies is a great introduction to the world of gluten free baking.
Some people consume a gluten-free diet because of sensitivities and allergies. Others just find that their bodies respond better to a diet that is low in gluten-containing foods. Whatever the reason that one might eliminate or reduce gluten, one thing that is missed by most people who restrict gluten in baked goods.
Bread, muffins, cookies, and other tasty baked items generally contain wheat flour, and on a gluten-free diet, wheat flour is forbidden. However, if you are willing to learn to cook a new and different way, you can still enjoy certain baked goods that are gluten-free. This recipe for Flourless Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip cookies provides a tasty gluten-free option for when you have a sweet craving without violating your gluten-free diet.
Flourless Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- Cookie Sheet
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- Cookie Dough Scoop
- Wire Rack
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar firmly packed
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Peanut Butter creamy or crunchy
- 1 pc Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Extra Granulated Sugar for sprinkling on the tops of the cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper to help with clean up later.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, the brown sugar, the salt, and the baking soda.
- Stir in the peanut butter, the egg, and the vanilla extract one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir well.
- Use a cookie dough scoop or a tablespoon to drop balls of dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Keep the dough balls about an inch apart to keep them from spreading so far that they will stick together.
- Moisten your fingertips and press the tops of the cookies flat with your fingers. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with a bit of granulated sugar. Use the tines of a fork to make criss-cross patterns on the tops of the cookies. You may need to dip the fork tines in sugar to keep them from sticking to the cookies.
- Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake them for about ten minutes. Bake the cookies until they are lightly browned on the edges. Do your best not to over-bake these cookies, or they will be hard, dry, and crumbly.
- When the cookies come out of the oven they will be very crumbly and fragile. Do not touch the cookies while they are hot and fresh from the oven or they will fall apart. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for at least ten minutes before you try to scoop them off with a spatula.
- If they are still falling apart when you try to take them off the cookie sheet, wait another five minutes. Remove the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool. Store in a container with a tightly fitting lid for up to two weeks.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese