Before hiring anyone, you need to interview them. The questions to ask when redecorating or decorating your home are similar to those to ask when hiring a tradesperson to re-plumb your home or construct an addition.
1. Are you and your employees members of the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)?
2. What is your interior design experience? How many projects do you take per year?
3. Do you have any specialty areas such as commercial interiors or historical restoration?
4. What references can you provide for projects like this one from this year? (Please, provide at least three.)
5. What permanent positions do you hire on your construction crew?
6. What positions will you need to sub-contract?
7. What say do I, the customer, get in the choice of subcontractors you hire?
8. Do you pay the subcontractors or do I?
9. What percentage of your projects finish on time?
10. What percentage of your projects finish under or at budget?
11. Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat project fee?
12. Do you accept consulting only jobs?
13. Do you purchase materials directly?
14. Do you require a retainer? If so, what is the price of the retainer?
15. What vendors do you use? Do you have a standing agreement with any vendors?
16. What insurance do you carry? Please, provide a copy of your insurance policy.
17. How long does it typically take you to redecorate a [insert number of square feet] interior?
18. What is your Better Business Bureau rating?
19. Are you a member of the local Chamber of Commerce?
20. Where did you receive your education?
21. What is your license number and how long have you been licensed?
22. Which of your personnel are also licensed?
23. Can I get a written estimate that shows material costs and labor costs separately?
24. Please provide a timeline for the work with a starting date of [starting date you provide].
25. Do you run background checks on your employees and subcontractors?