You will not believe this. For 5 years my wife and I went without a dishwasher when first married. We rented an old cottage style home in a small beach community and this place did not have a dishwasher. When a larger, more updated place opened up in the same beach village, we moved there (son #1 was on his way).
But, again we had no dishwasher there. We didn’t think too much of it at first, but after our son was born and the bottles and dishes piled up faster than we could keep the place stocked with Dawn, we bought a portable dishwasher – one that attaches to the sink faucet.
We were so happy with that little portable dishwasher. It was a game changer for us. Fortunately after that place (we didn’t stay long because a gorgeous home became available near the beach, then we moved to a larger house for son #2), all of our places have had full-size dishwashers. We’ve enjoyed the convenience of dishwashers so long now that we’ve forgotten what it’s like not to have one… except that one time our current unit broke.
Table of Contents
- Countertop, Benchtop & Portable Dishwashers
- Versatile Freestanding Dishwashers
- Fully or Semi-Integrated Built-in Dishwasher
- Small, Slimline & Compact Dishwashers
Countertop, Benchtop & Portable Dishwashers
1. 22″ 55 dBA Compact Dishwasher
The 22″ 55 dBA Compact Dishwasher is perfect for office kitchens, apartments, or any small-sized kitchens. This fantastic dishwasher offers full-size power in a complete compact design. It’ll perfectly fit between most cabinetry and countertops.
Apart from that, it’s spacious cavity loads up to 6-standard place settings. Some of the other features of this dishwasher that made it a necessity for every home includes durable stainless steel interior and super easy controls. Furthermore, its quick connects to any kitchen faucet kills the need for permanent installation or direct plumbing.
- Consumes less space in the kitchen
- Very affordable
- Easy to get going
- Produces a loud sound while working
- Does not turn off automatically
2. Magic Chef Countertop Portable Dishwasher in White
This stunning dishwasher comes with all the convenience of a full-size dishwasher for adequately cleaning your dishes. It has enough space to accommodate 6-standard place settings, making it an excellent choice for apartments, office kitchen, singles, and couples.
With push-button electronic controls and ease-of-use, the Magic Chef Countertop Dishwasher is designed with a stainless steel interior that includes a silverware basket, durable rack, and cup shelf for easy loading.
- Quick-connect assembly for ease of installation
- Easy-to-clean filter
- Great for small kitchen
- Can’t run water while in use
- Does not remove food from dishes and silverware
Versatile Freestanding Dishwashers
3. Front Control, Freestanding Dishwasher in Stainless Steel
This 24 inches Front Control Frigidaire Dishwasher provides large capacity, tall tub design with 14-place settings, enabling you to wash an extensive collection of dishes at once. Secondary, the 3-wash cycle option offers you the flexibility to choose the type of cleaning that is suitable your load, so you don’t have to waste energy and water when washing smaller loads.
- UltraQuiet sound package at 60 dBA
- Easy to remove and unload silverware basket
- 2, 4, and 6-hour delayed start options
- Does not dry dishes
- Digital panels tend to need frequent replacement
4. 24 in. Built-In Tall Tub, Top Control Dishwasher in Stainless Steel, ENERGY STAR
The lustrous Frigidaire 24 inches built-in, freestanding dishwasher with integrated controls makes use of the special OrbitClean Spray Arm technology which provides 4X better water coverage.
It has a well Heated Dry system which ensures there’s no need to towel dry the dishes before putting them away. With its high capacity and ability to control water pressure, this top control dishwasher will guarantee a wash that perfectly fits your needs.
That’s not all; it also has an integrated console with Ready-Select controls which lets you easily select options with a simple touch of a button.
- UltraQuiet sound package
- Its NSF Certified Sanitize cycle eliminates 99.9 percent of common household bacteria
- May require expensive repair after the first year
- Doesn’t do a great job of drying
Fully or Semi-Integrated Built-in Dishwasher
5. Top Control Built-In Dishwasher With Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel
This stainless steel dishwasher will give you the right clean for your dishes. Just select the sensor cycle and let the dishwasher choose the proper cycle for you, or clean dishes in half the time with the one-hour wash cycle. On top of that, it comes with cabinet-dry dishes – thanks to the fan dry which pulls in fresh, dry air with a fan.
Recommended Reading: 13 Best Large Coffee Maker Options for 2018 (for Each Category)
Another beautiful thing about this dishwasher is its soil sensor which determines how dirty dishes are and adjusts accordingly to ensure that dishes come out clean.
- Resist fingerprints
- Stylish and very easy to use
- It is moderately loud and has a plastic inner tub
6. 18 Inches Front Control Dishwasher in Stainless Steel
Dishwashing is a chore lots of people would rather do without. However, this fantastic front control dishwasher by Danby makes it an easy, effortless, and fun task. The sophisticated kitchen appliance comes in a stainless-steel and striking black design which lets it easily blends with any kitchen decor.
It has a very efficient and dependable unit which features an 8-place setting capacity, and at just 18 inches wide (45.7 cm), it takes up a little space in your kitchen.
- Up-front electronic controls offer easy and quick operation
- Has automatic detergent dispenser
- Quiet operation
- The bottom portion has little support and bends very easy
- The motor might spoil after awhile
- Many users complained of a fat dent on the front
7. 18 Inches Built-In Front Control Dishwasher in Stainless Steel
This built-in 8-place setting front control dishwasher is an excellent addition to any home. At 18 inches wide, this appliance occupies minimal space in the kitchen and is an excellent replacement for older kitchen appliances. It features 6-wash programs, 2-pull out dish racks, a time delay feature, and an error alarm which displays fault codes.
- Good Size & Weight
- Easy to Use
- Easy to Clean
- Difficult to install
- Does not have a dry cycle
Hidden Fully Integrated Dishwasher
8. 24″ 54 dBA Built-In Dishwasher with Front Controls
This stunning dishwasher provides outstanding quality and up-to-date technology to simplify your life. Interestingly, it came from one of the most trusted names in the U.S. Hence; you know that this appliance is as advanced as it is practical.
Moving on, it has a hard food disposer with a removable filter which helps to ensure consistently clean items; this stainless steel blade rotates at about 3,600 RPM to annihilate food particles and also prevents big particles from blocking the wash arms.
- Has a hard food disposer
- Comes with 16-place settings
- Sanitize option
No complaints so far.
9. 24″ 55 dBA Built-In Dishwasher
With 5 wash cycles, this energy star built-in dishwasher can handle your entire dish loads, from small plates to large pans and pots; it’ll take care of everything. It has up to 14-place settings with space-wise silverware basket that has multiple compartments which is also easy to unload and remove. Interestingly, you can set your dishwasher to run on your own schedule such as 2, 4 or 6-hours in advance.
Recommended Reading: 32 Magnificent Custom Luxury Kitchen Designs by Drury Design
- Effortless dry drying system
- Extremely quiet operation at 55-dBA
- Eliminates 99.9 percent of regular household bacteria
- Does not hide fingerprints
Small, Slimline & Compact Dishwashers
10. 18 Inches Built-In Front Control Freestanding Dishwasher in White
This built-in 8-place setting freestanding dishwasher is an excellent addition to any home. At 18 inches wide, this unit takes up a little space in the kitchen and is a perfect replacement for older appliances. It features 6-wash programs, 2-pull out dish racks, and a time delay feature.
- Error Alarm
- Rinse Aid Warning Indicator
- Stainless Steel Interior
- Quite Operation
- 6 Wash Programs (All-in-1, Normal, Heavy, Light, Rinse and Speed)
- Two Racks
- 2 Spray Arms
- Silverware Basket
- Automatic Dispensers
- Very easy to install
- Makes less noise
- Dishes don’t come out completely dry
- Silverware rack does not have a handle
Are dishwashers gadgets or necessities?
I venture to say neither. Gadgets have a superfluous connotation, even though they are useless. Good examples of gadgets can be found at Deals n Gadgets. What about dishwashers being a necessity? Again, no. They’re super convenient, but you can always wash your dishes in the sink. We did as an early married couple for a few years… which is not common in 2008.
Home Stratosphere is an award-winning home and garden online publication that’s a result of our talented researchers and writers who work directly with hundreds of professional interior designers, furniture designers, landscape designers and architects from around the world to create helpful, informative, entertaining and inspiring articles and design galleries.