There is nothing like a slice of pumpkin pie to wrap up the perfect Thanksgiving dinner. Featuring the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and the creamy, silky texture of pumpkin, our recipe for Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie is just what your family wants on their Holiday Dinner table.
Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- floured rolling pin
- Pie Pan
- Paper Towel
- Mixing bowl
Ingredients for Pie Crust:
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup ice water
Ingredients for Pie Filling:
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 3 pieces eggs
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- Turn your oven on to preheat to 375 degrees.
- Begin by preparing the pie crust. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and sugar with a fork.
- Cut the shortening into tablespoon-sized chunks and add it to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal.
- Add about half of the water and stir it gently into the flour mixture.
- Slowly add a splash of water at a time, continuing to gently stir until the mixture begins to form a dough. Use your hands to press it all together into a ball.
- Put the ball of pie crust dough onto a lightly floured surface and press it into a disk. Use a lightly floured rolling pin and a gentle touch to roll it out into a circle that is about 4 to 6 inches larger than the diameter of your pie pan.
- Fold the pie crust into halves and then quarters and position it in the pie pan, centering the wedge before you unfold it. Pinch the rim into a fancy design. Prick it all over with a fork and bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes. You can use pie weights to ensure that the crust does not bubble up during baking.
- As the pie crust is baking, you can create the pie filling. Use a paper towel to wipe out the mixing bowl that you used to create the pie crust.
- In this bowl, stir together the pumpkin, eggs, and brown sugar. Whisk these well to combine them.
- Next, add the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, salt, heavy cream and milk. Whisk very well to make sure that it is fully combined.
- Pour the pie filling into the pre-baked crust. Use a pie shield to protect the edges of the crust and bake it for about 55 to 60 minutes. The center will be a bit wobbly, but should not be runny. If it is too soupy, return it to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pie shield from the pie about 15 minutes before time is up.
- When the pie is fully baked, allow it to cool completely for about 3 hours. Store it in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap for up to three days. You can serve this pie at room temperature or straight from the refrigerator, cold. Top with whipped cream if you desire when you serve it.