Do you need a “knock ‘em dead” recipe to impress your fiance’s mother or your new boss? If so, this recipe for Creamy Tomato Chicken Breasts might be just what you have been looking for. The chicken cooks up tender, juicy, and delicious, but that is not all.
What steals the show in this recipe is the rich, creamy, incredibly seasoned sauce. This sauce is so good that you will be tempted to eat it out of the pan with a spoon.
Creamy Tomato Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Oven-safe Skillet
- Meat Mallet or Rolling Pin
- Meat thermometer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds chicken breasts or 6 to 7 chicken tenders
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- basil for garnish
- Turn on your oven to 375 degrees.
- Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper and heat the cooking oil in a heavy, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. If you are using whole chicken breasts, place them between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they are of uniform thickness.
- When the oil is runny and pops when a drop of water is flicked into the oil, it is hot enough. Add the chicken to the pan and sear it on one side, cooking it for about 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and sear the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and put it on a clean plate.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook it for about 60 seconds, or until it is golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the broth and cream to the cooking pan with the garlic. Slowly stir in the grated Parmesan and the tomatoes. Stir in the oregano, parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Allow the sauce to come to a simmer and then replace the chicken in the pan with the sauce. Turn the chicken a few times so that it is fully coated in the sauce.
- Cover the pan with a tightly fitting lid and put the whole thing into the preheated oven.
- Bake the chicken and sauce in the oven for about 20 minutes. You can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should reach about 165 degrees and the juices should run clear when pierced.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce over a bed of rice or noodles. Garnish with basil leaves.