What could go better with tomatoes and basil than cheese and pasta? This amazing combination is something that the Italians got right. Our recipe for Creamy Basil Tomato Pasta uses both. Additionally, our recipe makes things pretty easy for you by using frozen ravioli. You can choose whether you want cheese stuffed ravioli or meat stuffed ravioli. In some places, you can even find ravioli stuffed with other things, like spinach or veggies, and they would be great in this recipe too. If you can’t find ravioli, but you have tortellini on hand, feel free to make that substitution. The recipe will be delicious either way.
Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb Ground Italian sausage
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp mince garlic
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp cream cheese softened at room temp.
- 1 lb package of frozen ravioli or tortellini choose whatever variety you prefer, cheese stuffed, meat stuffed, or something else
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup firmly packed basil leaves, shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Pour the olive oil into a large, heavy bottomed skillet and heat it over medium heat. When the oil is runny and shimmering, it is hot enough. Add the sausage to the hot oil, cooking it, and chopping it with a spatula until it is fully cooked and no longer pink. As the meat is cooking, cook the frozen ravioli according to package instructions. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Drain the accumulated grease from the pan with the sausage and set the sausage aside in a paper towel lined bowl. Reduce the heat under the pan just a bit. Add the butter and melt it slowly. Add the garlic to the melted butter in the pan and cook it for about 60 seconds until it is golden brown and fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour and cook it for a minute, lightly browning it. Add the chicken broth and the half-and-half, whisking to combine.
- Turnup the heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Lower the heat and let the pan simmer. Add the Parmesan cheese, whisking it well into the sauce. Add the ravioli and the tomatoes. Stir these gently to coat them in the sauce. Let the sauce come to a low simmer.
- Stir in the basil leaves and the sausage.
- Add the red pepper flakes. Turn the heat off and let the pan stand for a few minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Scoop the pasta into bowls to serve with a side salad and a crusty roll.