With ground beef and shell pasta in a delicious creamy, tomato based sauce, our recipe for Creamy Beef and Shells cooks up quickly and easily in a skillet. Just cook the meat, prepare the sauce, and stir in prepared pasta to have a meal that your family will love.
Everybody loves pasta, and because of that this recipe will soon be added to the dinner rotation for your family. This recipe includes the ever popular flavors of pasta and tomatoes from the sauce. We pumped up the creamy texture of this recipe by adding, not only heavy cream and cheddar cheese, but also a large dollop of sour cream.
Several kinds of herbs round out the flavor profile of this dinner recipe. This recipe is filling and nutritious.
Creamy Beef and Shells Recipe
- Medium-Sized Saucepan
- Large Frying Pan
- Wire whisk
- 8 ounces Medium Pasta Shells
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Put 3 quarts of water and ½ teaspoon of salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Cook the pasta shells according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and shake it to remove as much water as possible. Keep the pasta in the colander until you need it later in the recipe.
- In a large frying pan, over medium high heat, heat the olive oil until it sizzles when you flick a drop of water into it. Add the ground beef and cook it until it is browned, chopping it into small bits with a spatula. Drain excess fat into a heatproof container and discard it later when it solidifies. You need to keep about a tablespoon of grease in the skillet. Set the beef aside in a bowl.
- Add the garlic to the pan, cooking it until it is fragrant and lightly golden. This should take about 60 seconds.
- Use a whisk to stir the flour into the skillet, stirring and cooking it until it is browned. This should take about 60 seconds.
- Slowly, whisk in the beef broth, stirring it until the browned flour is dissolved in the liquid.
- Add the tomato sauce, the Italian seasoning, onion powder, dried parsley, and paprika. Whisk all of these until they are fully blended into the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Stir the mixture occasionally until it is thickened. This should take between 3 and 5 minutes.
- Stir the beef back into the sauce mixture and add the heavy cream, stirring to blend. On low heat, allow the mixture to heat through until it is steaming. This should take about 1 or 2 minutes. Taste the sauce, and salt and pepper the mixture to taste.
- Add the sour cream, stirring to combine. Add the pasta, stirring it to coat in the sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the pasta and put the lid on to allow the cheese to melt. This should take about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle parsley over the top of the mixture as a garnish. Serve in bowls.