Chicken Pot Pie might call to mind miniature frozen, processed meals in a disposable metal pan, but it doesn't have to be this way. With our recipe for Chicken Pot Pie, you can make your own version of this recipe. We also include a few shortcuts to make it easier.
Layers of flaky pastry surrounding large chunks of chicken with nutritious veggies smothered in a savory gravy, it’s no wonder that chicken pot pie is the ultimate in comfort food. This recipe for Chicken Pot Pie is filling and delicious, and it will soon become a favorite for the whole family.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie Homemade Recipe
- Nine-inch pie pan
- Small saucepan
- Small bowl
- Wire whisk
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- Pastry blender
- Rolling Pin
- Strips of aluminum foil or a pie shield
- 2 cups mixed vegetables If using frozen, cook them according to package instructions; if using canned, drain the liquid from the can
- 2 cups cooked chicken we poached five boneless skinless chicken strips on the stovetop
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water plus 2 chicken bullion cubes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick cold butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a nine-inch pie pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken broth in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the three tablespoons of cornstarch with ¼ cup of water.
- Stir with a fork until all the lumps are dissolved.
- Stir this mixture into the warming chicken broth using a whisk.
- Add ½ teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, the onion powder, the parsley, and the garlic powder.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wire whisk.
- When the mixture boils, lower the heat to simmer and cook about three to five minutes or until the gravy is thick.
- Remove from heat, stir in the sour cream, and set the gravy aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour and 1 teaspoon of salt with a fork.
- Cut the stick of butter into small bits and add to the dry mixture.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal, with tiny bits of butter scattered throughout the flour.
- Add about a cup of ice-cold water, stirring with a fork, just until the dough comes together. Be gentle and do not overwork the dough.
- Lightly flour your workspace and take half of the dough, lightly rolling it in the flour to coat it.
- Shape the dough into a disk and using a rolling pin, roll it out into a 12-inch circle.
- Lightly fold the crust into quarters and place it into the pan.
- Unfold it to cover the bottom of the pie pan.
- Shred the cooked chicken into the bottom crust.
- Add the mixed veggies.
- Pour the gravy over all of the veggies and meat, gently stirring to coat them.
- Roll out the other half of the pie crust to a circle that is about 10 inches in diameter.
- Place it over the top of the pie, covering the filling.
- Crimp the edges and cut several vent holes into the top crust.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes to an hour.
- If the edges of the pie begin to brown too quickly, cover them with strips of aluminum foil or a pie shield.
- Let the pie cool for about 20 minutes before spooning your servings into bowls for serving.
- Store leftovers tightly covered with aluminum foil in the refrigerator.
- To reheat, you can place the whole pie pan back into the oven heated to 350 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese
Home Stratosphere Giveaways...
Enter to Win Small Appliances
We're giving away all kinds of top small appliances including a Vitamix blender, Instant Pot, Juicer, Food Processor, Stand Mixer and a Keurig Coffee Maker.