With crispy apples, the warmth of cinnamon, a smooth cream cheese dressing, and the satisfying crunch of nuts, our recipe for Cinnamon Apple Salad makes a great potluck contribution, a wonderful side salad for dinner, or maybe even a satisfying, fiber packed breakfast. It's quick and easy and very tasty.
When you think of things that go well with apples, one of the first choices is usually cinnamon. Second choice is often nuts of some kind. This recipe includes both of these delicious flavors in the recipe. To up the flavor, we add some dried cranberries as well. This recipe is loaded with tasty flavors and appealing colors.
Cinnamon Apple Salad Recipe
- large-sized mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
- Cutting Board
- paper towels or on a clean tea towel
- Electric Mixer
- 5 or 6 crisp apples of various kinds
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 eight ounce block of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large-sized mixing bowl, stir together the water and the lemon juice.
- Using a sharp knife and a cutting board, cut the apples in half and remove the cores.
- Without peeling the apples, chop the apples into cubes that are about ½ inch across.
- Put the apple pieces into the mixing bowl, covering the pieces with the water and lemon juice.
- When all the apple pieces have been dunked in the water and lemon juice mixture, remove them from the water and let them dry on a layer of paper towels or on a clean tea towel.
- Empty the mixing bowl and wipe it out with a paper towel.
- Put the softened cream cheese into the mixing bowl and beat it with an electric mixer until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the brown sugar, sour cream, vanilla, and cinnamon and beat all the dressing ingredients together until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
- Add all the apples and most of the walnuts and cranberries, reserving two or three tablespoons of cranberries and walnuts to top the fruit salad.
- Stir the fruit salad together, coating the apples, cranberries, and nuts completely in the cream cheese dressing mixture.
- Sprinkle the reserved nuts and cranberries on the top of the fruit salad.
- Store leftover Cinnamon Apple Salad in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for up to three days, although it is best chilled an hour and served the same day it is made.
- You can create the Cinnamon Apple Salad dressing as much as two or three days ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
- However, for the best, most fresh flavor and texture, you probably shouldn’t make the salad until the day that you plan on eating it.