While it is not technically a cake, our recipe for Chocolate Eclair Cake will quickly become a family favorite. Made of delicious layers of pudding and cream, along with graham crackers, and topped with a rich chocolate frosting, this cake can be prepared without even turning on the oven.
Cake is a wonderful treat sometimes used to celebrate special occasions in a family. Often consisting of a sweet, spongy bread covered in a rich sugary frosting, cake is popular for birthday and anniversary celebrations. However, this recipe for cake will take your definition of that dessert to a new level. While Chocolate Eclair Cake isn’t technically a cake by the purest definition of the word, it will definitely quickly be a favorite of everyone in the family.
Rich and Delicious Chocolate Eclair Cake Recipe
- Large bowl
- Wire whisk
- Rubber Spatula
- Baking Pan
- 1 box Graham Crackers
- 3 cups Milk
- 2 boxes Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix 3.4-ounce boxes
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed according to package instructions
- 16 ounces Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl with a wire whisk, stir together the pudding mix and the milk for two minutes or until the pudding mix is completely dissolved.
- Add the sour cream and mix it until it is fully incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the Cool Whip until it is completely mixed.
- Set the bowl of filling aside and begin to assemble the cake.
- Line a nine by a thirteen-inch baking pan with a layer of graham crackers.
- You may need to break some of them to fully line the pan.
- Using a large spoon or a rubber spatula, spread about half of the filling on top of the graham crackers.
- Take your time and spread it evenly, but take care not to dislodge the graham cracker layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Add another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture, again breaking crackers if you need to complete the layer.
- Gently spread the remaining pudding mixture over this layer, spreading it evenly.
- Top this pudding layer with your final layer of graham crackers.
- Working very gently, spread the chocolate frosting over top of the graham crackers. Take your time and be very patient, trying not to squash the crackers or move them around in the filling.
- Cover the cake with a layer of aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Take care that whatever you use to cover the cake doesn’t touch the top layer of chocolate icing, or it may stick when you try to take the cover off to serve it.
- Refrigerate the cake in for at least four to six hours. Overnight is even better.
- After the chilling period, use a spatula to cut rectangular pieces of cake for serving.
- Return the remainder of the cake to the fridge, storing it covered in the fridge for up to three days.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese