Loaded with vegetables, chicken, and savory Chinese flavors, this recipe for chicken stir fry comes together quickly and in one skillet. With a little bit of advanced preparation, you can have a delicious, healthy meal on the table in less than half and hour.
One skillet meals can save you time and dirty dishes on busy nights. This recipe for Chicken Stir Fry includes your protein, piles of veggies, and loads of delicious Chinese flavor in every single bite. If you work ahead by pre-cooking the rice and chopping the veggies ahead of time, you can really save some time. Additionally, you can marinate the chicken for up to two days before you plan on cooking stir fry. With some careful planning and prep work the day before, you can walk in the door and have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- Wok or Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Chicken Bouillon
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp Minced and Peeled Fresh Ginger
- 4 cups Vegetables
- 3 cups Rice cooked according to package instructions
- Mix together the soy sauce, water, chicken bouillon, sugar, cornstarch, and oil.
- Place this mixture in a bowl and add the chicken, turning to coat it. If you are prepping this recipe ahead of time, you can put the marinade and chicken in a zip-top bag and keep it in the fridge to two days before using it.
- Marinate the chicken at least 20 minutes.
- In a wok or a large, heavy skillet, heat two tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Sautee the ginger and garlic together in the skillet until they are lightly browned and fragrant.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and put it in the hot oil with the garlic and ginger. Don’t throw out the marinade because you’ll use it later.
- Stir the chicken frequently, cooking it about two or three minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove the chicken, garlic, and ginger to a clean bowl.
- Wipe away any remnants of the herbs and chicken from the skillet with a paper towel.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, let it get hot, and then add the veggies.
- Stir fry the veggies until they are crisp-tender. If you have heartier veggies, like broccoli and carrots, add a few tablespoons of water, cover the pan, and allow the veggies to steam for a few minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and mix it in with the vegetables.
- Pour the marinade over the vegetables and the chicken. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken-veggie mixture from the heat.
- Serve over rice, ladling sauce over everything to bring tasty flavor to your dinner.