Say goodbye to old fashioned, slimy chicken salads from the deli and try our recipe for fresh, cool, and creamy healthy chicken salad. Our recipe incorporates chicken, apples, nuts and other delicious and nutritious items.
What does chicken salad bring to mind for you? If you think of little plastic tubs full of nondescript, slimy chicken-based sandwich spread from the grocery store, you are probably not alone. Chicken salad often brings to mind a luncheon in a musty church basement or something that smells funny, smeared between two slices of white bread at your Granny’s house.
Chicken salad is one of those things that seems to have come from the 1950s housewife generation. However, its origins actually reach back to the late 1800s. Shortly before the Civil War, the owner of a meat market in Rhode Island mixed some of his leftover chicken with a bit of mayonnaise, tarragon and grapes. His recipe quickly became a hit with the community, and soon, his meat market converted to a deli that sold his tasty concoction.
Chicken Salad Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- 2 1/2 cups Cooked and Shredded Chicken 6 chicken tenders, or 3 medium whole chicken breasts
- 2 pcs Apples Chopped and with Peel
- 6 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Delicious Optional Extras
- 2 tbsp Dried Cranberries
- 1 stalk Celery chopped
- 1/2 cup Seedless Grapes sliced in halves
- 1/4 cup Shelled Sunflower Seeds
- Place the uncooked chicken pieces in a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, covering the pot with a tightly fitting lid.
- Leave the covered pot undisturbed for about twenty minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate to cool and later shred with your fingers. This cooking technique keeps the chicken from drying out and avoids the rubbery texture that chicken can develop if it is overcooked.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the apples and stir.
- Add three tablespoons of mayonnaise and stir into the chicken and apple mixture, tossing the bits to coat.
- Add the remaining mayonnaise one tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Chicken salad is so individual. Some people like lots of mayo on theirs, while others like less. Go with what appeals to you.
- After you have the mayonnaise exactly the way that you like it, add the teaspoon of salt and stir very well. Add in your pecans or walnuts and stir well.
- Now you can add some of your delicious extra ingredients to customize your chicken salad.
- Remember, there is no perfect chicken salad recipe. Everyone has their own preferences and their own individual twists on a recipe. Choose what sounds appealing to you, or whatever you happen to have on hand in your pantry.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative! It’s really hard to mess up chicken salad. Whether you like cranberries, celery, grapes or sunflower seeds in your chicken salad, it’s going to be fabulous.
- Just take your time and taste the salad after each addition, making adjustments as you go.
Related: Chicken Salad Recipes